It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Pistons - Pacers Brawl !!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
If a 6'10" 260lbs athlete leaves the court and comes in the stands punching, then yes HE WILL BE STABBED IN THE NECK! You people are idiots. Sure Ben Wallace was at fault, the fan who threw the ice was at fault, but ARTEST WENT INTO THE STANDS, not in self defense, people were trying to hold him back...he went because he is a f*cking lunatic.

These guys in the NBA today are nothing but street punks...there is a reason we used to draft out of college. Because college taught them something about life. That it ain't all about bitchez and drugz. This is what the game turns into when you make the streetballers the professionals.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
ron artest went to college at st johns, apparently he didn't learn a lot while there, i see no need for name calling in this or any other thread, i think there is a better way to get your point across :angry-smiley-034:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sportkensington
If a 6'10" 260lbs athlete leaves the court and comes in the stands punching, then yes HE WILL BE STABBED IN THE NECK! You people are idiots. Sure Ben Wallace was at fault, the fan who threw the ice was at fault, but ARTEST WENT INTO THE STANDS, not in self defense, people were trying to hold him back...he went because he is a f*cking lunatic.

These guys in the NBA today are nothing but street punks...there is a reason we used to draft out of college. Because college taught them something about life. That it ain't all about bitchez and drugz. This is what the game turns into when you make the streetballers the professionals.

Bloody hell do they have internet access in prison i guess they must do

TRD

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sportkensington
You people are idiots. Sure Ben Wallace was at fault, the fan who threw the ice was at fault, but ARTEST WENT INTO THE STANDS, not in self defense, people were trying to hold him back...he went because he is a f*cking lunatic.

As far as i know he went into the stands after someone threw a bottle at him. Is that not in self defence? Is not throwing a bottle attacking someone?

If someone threw a bottle at you would you go after them as to defend yourself or would you stand there and take it like a biatch?

I'm not defending Artest as i think any fighting in sport is wrong but he did what anyone would do if they was attacked.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
from the accounts it was a cup of beer that artest got hit with, no excuse to go into the stands

TRD

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Toejam when he was lying down doing nothing it looked like to me it was a blue bottle thrown not a cup, when he went up into the stands, then someone threw a cup of beer over him.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
i haven't seen the full video of the fight but here is what i found

"The initial skirmish wasn't all that bad, with Artest retreating to the scorer's table and lying atop it after Wallace sent him reeling backward. But when a fan tossed a cup at Artest, he stormed into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats."

if this is the case he had no reason to go into the stands, while i have never been to an nba game all the containers that are sold at baseball games that look like bottles are actually plastic...like soft drink bottles

TRD

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Ah yes i read it was a bottle, so yea it may well have been a plastic bottle. Hrmm well yea that does change things then as i assumed by the article that it was a glass bottle.

As i have said twice already i don't agree what happened, but thats a first for me. I have seen fans fighting fans many times. Only a couple of times have i seen someone in sport attack a single fan. One was Eric Cantona when he played for Man United and he did a flying kick on a fan in the stands and the other was Brian Clough when he was a coach at Notts Forest. The fans came on the pitch and he give a couple of them a right hander.

But i have never seen a mass brawl between players and fans.

I don't know how it goes in the NBA and the US sports but in soccer when the fans do something bad, the teams have to play behind closed doors with no fans allowed for however long they are banned for.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
I don't know how it goes in the NBA and the US sports but in soccer when the fans do something bad, the teams have to play behind closed doors with no fans allowed for however long they are banned for.

So, all of the fans have to pay for the stupidity of a few idiots?

Ben

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
First, after thinking about this situation long and reading about things in the paper, and reading articles online, and listening to many people on sportztawk, talk about this i feel that Ron Artest is a mighty inconsiderate person. He disrespected the game and, what in the world was he doing even lying on the scoeres table, he had no right in the world to do that. It is not a place to be lying down in the first place, sure the fans were in the wrong by throwing the cup, but lying on the scorers table?

This game has turned into a bunch of snot nose punks, and its disgraceful to all the other players that have walked these courts, for it to turn into a rap show, with fists and punchs and kicks and shoves. This is one sport that i can say i wont be watching anymore. Lose all respect. After thinking about it, Artest went up there and found the easiest guy to hit, and then Jermain O'Neal coming out of no where, and throwing a punch at a fan and rbeaking his a bone in his back?! What in the world are you thinking. You make millinos of dollars a year, start to act like it! Anybody in this god for saken world would want to walk in your shoes and you feel like you are holyer than anybody that walks the court. Show some class why dont you!

I feel as though Artest, O'Neal, and the other pacer to have started the fighting should be banned from basketball! Not for a 10 games, not for a month, not for a year, but for the rest of their lives.

Sure this may be harsh, but this behavior should not be tolerated in a professional environment.

TRD

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

Originally posted by TRD

So, all of the fans have to pay for the stupidity of a few idiots?

Exactly.

And by the looks of it it just wasn't a few fans it was quite alot.

I don't know if i agree with it as when they let the soccer fans back in they only go and do it again..lol!

I guess they have the culprits on camera so they can be singled out and banned from the matches.

In soccer they get banned for life now, i got banned for 3 years from every type of soccer match, from non league to the top games in all of europe. I guess i learnt my lesson but theres nothing to say that i won't do it again if the need arises. I won't go into details but to get banned from soccer when i did it had to be for some pretty bad offences.

So on to the players if the fans can get banned for life then why don't they do it to the players?

Eric Cantona got banned for quite awhile but he was let back and allowed to play. The fans will never be let back.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
First, after thinking about this situation long and reading about things in the paper, and reading articles online, and listening to many people on sportztawk, talk about this i feel that Ron Artest is a mighty inconsiderate person. He disrespected the game and, what in the world was he doing even lying on the scoeres table, he had no right in the world to do that. It is not a place to be lying down in the first place, sure the fans were in the wrong by throwing the cup, but lying on the scorers table?

This game has turned into a bunch of snot nose punks, and its disgraceful to all the other players that have walked these courts, for it to turn into a rap show, with fists and punchs and kicks and shoves. This is one sport that i can say i wont be watching anymore. Lose all respect. After thinking about it, Artest went up there and found the easiest guy to hit, and then Jermain O'Neal coming out of no where, and throwing a punch at a fan and rbeaking his a bone in his back?! What in the world are you thinking. You make millinos of dollars a year, start to act like it! Anybody in this god for saken world would want to walk in your shoes and you feel like you are holyer than anybody that walks the court. Show some class why dont you!

I feel as though Artest, O'Neal, and the other pacer to have started the fighting should be banned from basketball! Not for a 10 games, not for a month, not for a year, but for the rest of their lives.

Sure this may be harsh, but this behavior should not be tolerated in a professional environment.

I feel its a knee jerk reaction

Banned for life my god some people dont half over react im still in shock that Artest has got a 73 game ban

As for what happens in the UK, Fans are not allowed on to the pitch if they do they get arrested.

The Cantona incident was worse than the incident that happened in Detroit because Cantona actually went flying into the stands because a fan was calling him names

As for the Cloughy incident the fans came on the pitch he gave a couple of fans clips around the head (the outcome was that CLOUGHIE apoligised and as far as i can remember the 2 fans were in awe of him he even gave them a kiss (its Nottingham Forest not Notts Forest)

TRD

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Other than them two incidents Ady i can't think of anymore like that that has happened in the UK. And they was single incidents not a mass brawl between players and fans.

As i said i havnt ever seen that before so i dont know what they are going to do. But if the players are banned whats going to happen to the fans?

Oh yeah Ady, Notts is not short for Nottingham? It is the last time i checked lol!

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
lol Notts = Nottinghamshire the county as in Notts County
Nottingham or Nott'm = Nottingham Forest

To a Forest Fan or a Notts fan there is a lot of difference:party-smiley-018:
(and they get very annoyed about it as well) lol

[Edited on 11/21/04 by AdyBaby]

TRD

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Hehe yeah i bet they do, but us lot down here will carry on saying Notts lol! Hey now i know how to annoy a Forest Fan. I'll have to remember that..

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I read about this in the Sun newspaper today in the UK, they had a piece on it and by what i have read here and in the paper it's a disgrace to sport. The players were well wrong and they got what they deserved in their bannings. They are professionals getting paid huge sums of money and they should have walked off the court and into the locker room and not got involved.

As for the fans, you always get the odd few who are out to cause trouble, they will have them on camera and the authorities will deal with them aswell hopefully.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
i seen a bit of it on eurosport. looked nuts

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I have to start this morning with some kind of commentary on the Pacers/Pistons punch-up. If you hearken back a couple of months to the time when the Rangers' bullpen pitcher tossed a chair into the stands, I suggested that he ought to do some jail time and that there was no excuse for tossing a chair at the fans. In that case, the instigation was "verbal abuse" from the fans. I said it was an over-reaction by the players.

In this case, Ron Artest had something thrown at him. Indeed, that is a step up in terms of provocation and in terms of "clear and present danger" when compared to "verbal abuse". But what was thrown at him was a cup full of liquid and not a hand grenade so let's not go down the path that says that he felt as if his very existence was at stake.

What Ron Artest did was as bad if not worse as Frankie Francisco tossing that chair. And when his teammates went into the stands - not to stop him or to make peace but to join in the melee - that put the whole thing over the top. In fact, I'm not sure why Artest got a longer suspension than Jackson did. Artest was provoked; he had been shoved by Ben Wallace and then doused with liquid; he went berserk and charged the stands, which is/was/always will be wrong, and he got a punishment that he deserved. But Jackson just went after some fans without the antecedent provocation. If Artest got a season off, why does Jackson get anything shorter than a season off?

I saw the videotape of David Stern being ever so righteously indignant about what had happened. And my first thought was that if you changed the background logos from the NBA to some European soccer league you'd have the standard story about soccer hooligans. The difference is that in soccer the fans usually fight among themselves and/or charge the referee. It isn't your standard soccer riot that has the players wading into the stands to duke it out with the fans.

I really want to thank the Pistons and the Pacers and the NBA establishment for the service they provided last weekend. They gave me a reminder of all I'm missing during the lamentable NHL work stoppage. This brought back so many fond memories for me; they probably lasted for all of 6 seconds...

The NBA. It's FAN-tastic!!

Copyright The Sports Curmudgeon

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
NHL Whats That!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I've seen the video at least 100 times as I watch SportsCenter about 5 times a day and I'm sure most of you have seen it over and over and most likely tired of seeing it. But in case anyone has missed it (or lives under a rock
), here is the footage broken into three segments.

Pistons - Pacers brawl Pt 1
Pistons - Pacers brawl Pt 2
Pistons - Pacers brawl Pt 3

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join