It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: OLYMPICS: US DREAM TEAM COMES TO AN END

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
With a satisfactory loss to Argentina the US will face the looser of Lithuania vs. Italy for Bronze. The US being KO'd out of the competition was long overdue.

Web Site Related Article

The bronze for the American side is a long shot at best. My bets are that they won't even get bronze, they are just not better than either Lithunia(that defeated the US early on) or Italy(which KO'd Peurto Rico).

[Edited on 8/27/04 by websurfer]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
First time US has lost since 1998 with the addition of professional players.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
It was bound to happen. The US didn't have it's best team out there, and they hardly practiced together.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
finally i won't have to hear about the "Dream Team" on the radio anymore. I really don't like basketball and i know even less about it, but even i recognized that they were'nt a "team" they were a bunch of individuals trying to win it all by themselves. i really don't think that professional players should be allowed in the olympics, the US olympic basketball team should be the team that wins the final four, or if you're gonna use pros it should be whoever wins the NBA championship. sticking all those huge ego's together in what is essentially an exibition tournament to them won't bring out their best.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
There's no I in team, but there are several in individual. Exactly what the team is...a bunch of individuals who were called upon to try to take on basketball clubs that know how to play fundamental basketball. The rest of the world doesn't play for million dollar contracts. I believe they may actually play for...what's the word I'm lookin for? Oh yea, FUN!!! Yep, fun, just like my friends at work do on their lunch hour. Just like kids across the nation do daily. Sure, they dream of being MJ or Shaq, but 7 yrs old, they aren't corrupted by the almight dollar and a million of its friends. Argentina deserves to win...then again, any other country in the Olympics does as well. Not the US...Buying the title didn't cut it this time..

My 2 cents

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
The US being KO'd out of the competition was long overdue.

They havent been "KO'd", they will play another game for a chance at a medal.

For what it's worth, this team had about all of three weeks to practice together where most of these international teams have been playing together for many years, alot of the rosters were the same for the past 2 Olympics (8 yrs) for most of these teams. Dont get me wrong, these teams ARE great and have been playing well but it's tough to get chemistry and learn the other's players tendencies in 3 weeks. I played HS ball with a buddy I grew up with and I knew where he was on the court even when my back was turned. That said, the teams playing for the gold deserve to be there and I hope we can at least get a bronze to bring home. It's disappointing, but I'm proud of the team that gave up their summer to represent their country with pride, unlike some other players that were invited. Shaq would have been nice, but he's too busy playing with his money, so screw him.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Bronze Medal Match
USA vs. Lithuania

Gold medal Match
Argentina vs. Italy

highly anticipated games.
If they show the US vs Argentina again on a replay be sure to check this out. I was awe strucken in disbelief that the US were on the other end of this play.

The half's prettiest play came on the 3-on-1 break when Hugo Sconochini, one of the team's elder statesmen, tossed a nifty behind-the-back pass to Alejandro Montecchia for a high-arching layup over Richard Jefferson that gave Argentina a 42-33 lead.

Even for non-basketball fans this play is something to watch. Be sure to look out for it. This is something Vince Carter would do when he was in his junior years at the NBA.

[Edited on 8/27/04 by websurfer]

Ben

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Thats why pro's shouldnt be playing in the OLYMPICS is because they wont have enough time to get to know each other and build up a chemisty. If we had a team of amautres or something like that, that was around year round, wouldnt we support these people more because there are a TEAM, not a bunch of indiviuals?

These players that are on this "Dream Team" are indiviuals on their team, they get back these milions upon millions of dollars, to go out and show case their skills by themself. I dont think the owner tell them to be a team player i think he teams them do what you got to do to win, so thye take that mentality into the Olympics and look at what happens.

Basketball is probably one of the most individaul sports out there. With Hockey you can be an invidiual but its a lot harder. YOu have to pass more and set up shots which is harder that Basketball. Football is a team sport with your Offensive online WR, QB, RB. Everybody depends on everybody. Basketball is the most individual sport out there. And to top that off there are 5 people on the court, but poeple like AI want to drive all the time and take a hard lay up for 2 POINTS, when they could easily pass and score 2 easily.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I read most or you saying that pros shouldn't be in the olympics. I'm with you.

But what about other sports? Hockey, soccer, etc. There are pros there, too. It's what makes the Olympics a joke, in my mind.

The Olympic spirit is about amateur competition, adn about individual competition, not about loyalty to your country.

Team sports don't belong in the Olympics, period.

Now start yelling at me.

Ben

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
but if you notice that other teams play as a TEAM, the basketball team doesnt come close to being a team, they are a bunch of indiviuals trying to show off. They wont be able to work as a team.

With other teams you see how they can function as a team and win medals as A team

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Gold went to Argentina and Silver was handed out to Italy. Bronze medal went to the USA with their victory over Lithuania, who ended up in fourth position in mens basketball.

Its interesting to note that a lot of pro american players rejected a spot on the team. ie Shaq, Kobe, etc. The americans technically only had 3 months to train with little to no practice in the preseason olympics, due to injuries and personal issues.

Ben

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
yea a lot of top players did decline to play, but you have to wonder how much more selfish the team would be if those top players were on there.

new topics

top topics

join