It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Chinese officials rip Yao for acting too American

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Rockets center Yao Ming is being accused of disloyalty to China's Olympic team, according to a report in Toronto's Globe and Mail. And his actions have reportedly made China reconsider sending its players to the NBA.

Chinese officials reacted strongly to Yao's negative comments about his teammates Thursday, suggesting the NBA in the United States has corrupted their once "obedient child."

The report hinted China may "consider tighter restrictions" on Chinese players who want to play in the NBA, like heralded up-and-comer Yi Jianlian, the 16-year-old who is seen as the next Yao.

"The Chinese Basketball Association will consider more deeply and carefully about sending players to the NBA again," one report said.

Yao was "an obedient child" with a "very good reputation," an official was quoted as saying. "Now, he has changed, he's more like an American, he dares to say anything."

The 7-foot-6 center, who carried his nation's flag in the opening ceremonies, blasted his teammates after his team's 82-57 loss to Argentina on Thursday.

"I'm disappointed in my teammates," Yao said. "We gave up at the end of the game. I don't think some of my teammates cherish the honor to play for the country. ... Were they nervous? Or they would not take their responsibilities? We gave up easily every time we came across obstacles."

The comments sparked a harsh response from Chinese sports officials, who derided Yao for "splitting" the Chinese team with his "irresponsible" comments.

"How could he say that?" one official was quoted as saying. "How could he say that the other players weren't trying their best? Any irresponsible speech like his, any action to split the team, is definitely forbidden. This is the national team, this is the Olympics — any word by a player can affect others and can create difficulties in future matches."

Many Chinese fans came to Yao's defense, saying the star was only being honest. "Yao Ming is not always right, but in this case he is absolutely right," one fan wrote on a Chinese website. "The truth may hurt someone, but is it wrong to tell the truth?"

Against Argentina Yao was never a factor. China committed 15 turnovers and Yao was 1-for-7 from the field. Yao came into the game averaging 25.5 points and 10.5 rebounds. The center finished with 15 points on 6-for-13 shooting. China had a total of 23 turnovers and Argentina had a 40-29 rebound advantage.

China is one of four teams in Group A with a 1-2 record and it finishes against two of the others — Italy and reigning world champion Serbia-Montenegro. China must win at least one to advance to next week's quarterfinals, something it has done only once in seven previous Olympic appearances.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
While I agree that it's his right to speak his mind, that is not the custom in China. Seems that some Chinese folks agree, but as a very traditional society, for him to break tradition like that is very big news in that country, I'm sure.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
How odd that they call him a child.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I believe that communist countries consider all of thier citizens as children...

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Against Argentina Yao was never a factor. China committed 15 turnovers and Yao was 1-for-7 from the field. Yao came into the game averaging 25.5 points and 10.5 rebounds. The center finished with 15 points on 6-for-13 shooting. China had a total of 23 turnovers and Argentina had a 40-29 rebound advantage.

Considering the way he performed, he has no right to criticize the actions of the other players. There is no I in team, which is why Yao was penalized for his comments; hence, the comparison to being American.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Yao was "an obedient child" with a "very good reputation," an official was quoted as saying. "Now, he has changed, he's more like an American, he dares to say anything."

yes saying whatever is on your mind is just sooooooooooooo dangerous and "disobedient".

here's a dollar, go buy a clue.

in fact keep yao, i dont care. im surprised he's even palying for them at all to be honest.

but lets just keep things in perspective, they're just games. yes they mean alot but they shouldnt be the be all end all in ones life. i think they're making a big deal out of this when they shouldnt. but hey great way to try and politicize the games! way to go china! good job. now go run someone over with a tank...because heavan forbid we should ever have free thought and speech! thats just wrong!

top topics

join