It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Peja and Vlade to miss Olympics for Serbia!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Stojakovic says he's too tired to play in Olympics

Peja Stojakovic said Wednesday he will not play for Serbia and Montenegro at the Athens Olympics, depriving the defending world champions of their best perimeter scorer.

The three-time NBA All-Star said he was tired and that his decision is irreversible -- even though people in his homeland are urging him to change his mind.

"No way. I already spoke with the team officials. We talked about it, and it's done," Stojakovic told the Associated Press in a telephone interview. "I'm not going to go."

Stojakovic will be in Greece during the Olympics, fulfilling the end of a three-month stint in the Greek army. He holds duel citizenship in Greece and Serbia and Montenegro.

Fellow NBA player Vlade Divac, who was Stojakovic's teammate in Sacramento for six seasons before signing with the Los Angeles Lakers earlier this month, also is expected to sit out the Olympics.

www.sportsline.com...

Serbia usually has a very good basketball team, but there's no question that Peja will be missed. He's one of the top shooters in the entire world.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
And Vlade won't be there to hand out cigarettes...

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I forgot until I re-read the article that Serbia and Montenegro are the defending world champions.

I dont see that continuing without Peja.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Too tired? He's been sitting on his a$$ since the end of the season. Theres no way he too tired.

posted on Jul, 28 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sniper474
Too tired? He's been sitting on his a$$ since the end of the season. Theres no way he too tired.

Stojakovic will be in Greece during the Olympics, fulfilling the end of a three-month stint in the Greek army. He holds duel citizenship in Greece and Serbia and Montenegro.

I doubt he's just been sitting on his a$$

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
What's Vlade's excuse??

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
smokers cough

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
smokers cough

Hmmm, no smiley. Maybe he's serious.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
but then why would he just sign a deal with the lake show?

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   

but then why would he just sign a deal with the lake show?

I'm confused.

I hadn't heard anything about lake show deals or smoker's coughs but neither sound like a reason to miss the Olympics.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   
sorry, my own slang getting in the way here. I heard that Vlade likes to smoke, thus the smokers cough. and Lake show = the Lakers.

But I didn't understand what you meant by maybe he's serious

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:00 AM
link   

sorry, my own slang getting in the way here. I heard that Vlade likes to smoke, thus the smokers cough. and Lake show = the Lakers.

But I didn't understand what you meant by maybe he's serious

I understood your slang, when I said "maybe he's serious" I was saying that you didnt use a smiley when you said smokers cough and that maybe that was the real reason he was missing the Olympics. Actually I hadn't heard he might be returning to the Lakers, I thought maybe you meant "The Late Show". What a confusing thread.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
What a confusing thread.

Could be that it's 2 am...

Vlade is going to the Lakers, though -

Vlade to Lakers

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Could be that it's 2 am...

No doubt!

Thread status - Vlade going to the Lakers but reason for Olympic absence still unknown.

[Edited on 7-31-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Full moon tonight too!

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
LOL, thanks for the clarity...

I just re-read the original article, but no signs of why he made this decision.

To remain a mystery until tomorrow...

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Article from January 27, 2004.....

Sacramento Kings center Vlade Divac will not play for Serbia-Montenegro at the Athens Olympics this summer. He says he is no longer the best center on his country's national team.

Divac, who is 36, told a radio station on Monday that he has "given enough" to the national team and it's time to leave. He went on to say, "The best should play for the national team, and I'm no longer its best center."

It's expected Kings' forward Peja Stojakovic will play for Serbia-Montenegro. He's one of more than a dozen players from the country currently playing in the NBA

Serbia-Montenegro's team is a favorite to make it to the Olympic final against the United States.

www.news10.tv...

I would say they are no longer a favorite without Peja, he's their best player.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Yeah, they wont' be very competetive at all without Peja

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Sacramento Kings center Vlade Divac will not play for Serbia-Montenegro at the Athens Olympics this summer. He says he is no longer the best center on his country's national team.

Sounds like a sell-out by Vlade to me. He doesn't have to be the best center to be on the team, he would make a great reserve center for them but more importantly I would think they could use his veteran leadership and experience. The younger players look up to guys like him who have been around awhile, he played in the Olympics before and played in the NBA.

I think Gibbs suggestion of smoker's cough would fly better.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sniper474:

Actually to add a bit of information here. I heard Peja wanted to go but he was in the middle of doing a basketball camp here in Sacramento with Vlade. It was a charity camp where the proceeds help Serbian orphans, I think, as a result of the war there.

So he told the basketball officials with Serbia and Montenegro that he could come no earlier than August 1. But they weren't satisfied with that so they told Peja they didn't want him if he was going to come that late.

[Edited on 08/03/2004 by Fox Mulder]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join