It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Magic select Howard with No. 1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Orlando have selected Dwight Howard with the No. 1 pick in the 2004 NBA Draft, leaving Charlotte to select Emeka Okafor at No. 2. The full first-round listing is below:

1. Orlando Magic - Dwight Howard
2. Charlotte Bobcats - Emeka Okafor
3. Chicago - Ben Gordon
4. LA Clippers - Shaun Livingston
5. Washington (to Dallas) - Devin Harris
6. Atlanta - Josh Childress
7. Phoenix (to Chicago) - Luol Deng
8. Toronto - Rafael Araujo
9. Philadelphia - Andre Iguodala
10. Cleveland - Luke Jackson
11. Golden State - Andres Biedrins
12. Seattle - Robert Swift
13. Portland - Sebastian Telfair
14. Utah - Kris Humphries
15. Boston - Al Jefferson
16. Utah - Kirk Snyder
17. Atlanta - Josh Smith
18. New Orleans - J. R. Smith
19. Miami - Dorell Wright
20. Denver (to Orlando) - Jameer Nelson
21. Utah (to Dallas) - Pavel Podkolzine
22. New Jersey (to Portland) - Viktor Khryapa
23. Portland - Sergei Monia
24. Boston - Delonte West
25. Boston - Tony Allen
26. Sacramento - Kevin Martin
27. LA Lakers - Sasha Vujacic
28. San Antonio - Beno Udrih
29. Indiana - David Harrison

As a Magic fan I'm pretty happy with Howard as the pick - I think long-term he'll be better than Okafor (although no question Okafor will be this year's impact player). The question is whether he'll stay at the Magic long-term...what does everyone else think

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by massivmickyd

2. Charlotte Bobcats - Emeka Okafor

Isn't he supposed to have back problems??

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   
His back problems were a concern but he seemed to bounce back from them in the NCAA tournament...

In all honesty I think drafting a High School player is more of a risk than selecting a College player with minor back issues.

Ben

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Howard could be more effective in the long run, if he had somebody with experience their to help him out. THe magic are looking for him to be the next KG, which in my mind is a big statement.

If T-Mac stays in Orlando then i think howard will have a better career than if T-Mac leaves.

I like how the bobcats big Okafur as their number 2 pick, he is going ot be their future player and they are going to position their team around him for the future. I like this chocie.

The Magic had a solid draft also receving Jameer Nelson via trade.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Living near the Magic's home court they are my NBA team and I believe that D Howard has a lot more super star potential than Okafor, not that he wont be good perhaps great. When someone gets compared to KG you cant pass him up. He may even shock everyone next season be have a stellar year. The downside to the Magic is they cant keep a team together, they have made too many trades that upset the team chemistry and too many whiney stars.

Howard is the new star in Olrando and T-Mac is gone, his attitude and work ethic especially this off season is terrible. It takes commitment to be a winning superstar, T-Mac hasnt shown it, Howard acts like he has it. Only time will tell.

[Edited on 7/1/04 by jrod]

[Edited on 7/1/04 by jrod]

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I think more than anything I like Okafor because he seems a perfect pick for an undersized team like Orlando.

He's a proven big man who can bang around in the paint, and while I don't see him scoring a ton I do see him averaging a solid double-double right off the bat, say 15 points 12+ rebounds, probably more points now that he's going to a team that plans to build around him.

Back of my mind he reminds me of Elton Brand, similar size and relentless rebounder.

[Edited on 7/1/04 by Cannon]

top topics

join