It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Who's the best NBA player of all time

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
hey. i thought i replied to this one last night

for me, its gotta be Jordon. apart from his come back stuff, which wasnt very succesfiul. in his prime he was a top player. played his best from start to finish. a good sportsman

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
the center handdown the crown go to Bill Russell. NOt only he was a offensive of player but a better defensive player. With Bill Russell Boston wouldnt have 11 of 16 championships. U cant say he didnt go against compettion because he went against Bob Pettit, Willis Reed, and Wilt Chamberlain. Wilt have the better stats but who have the championships. Bill russell is a team player. Wilt was all about himself.

the best power forward this is hard because u have 5 players. Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, James Worthy, Kevon Mchale, and Dennis Rodman. CAN say

the best small forward of all time is larry bird. Larry Bird is the best shooter of all time. Have court awareness and play defensive. The stats speak for itself.

the best shooting guard is michael jordan handdown. no one can guard him. he score 63 points against boston in 1986. hit 25 game-winner shot. 6 championships no losses. 11 scoring title 5 mvp

the point guard the best is magic johnson.

the nba player all time is michael jordan. Michael jordan retire after winning 3 championships. Came back and win 3 more championship. tell me what player can do that . PLay when he was sick. It took more than three players to guard him. Everyone else including wilt needed only one. Joe dumars couldnt guard him or john stark. U tell me what game-winning shots russell made give me some facts i can give u facts. the only reason bill won 11 title because they only have 8 - 14 teams only 4 teams from each conference made it. LOOK AT HIS TEAM BACK WHEN HE WAS PLAYIN . THEY SHOULD OF WON ALL THOSE CHAMPIONSHIPS AT THE TIME. ROOKIE TEAM WAS A GOOD TEAM TOO. PLUS WILT DIDNT COME IN UNTIL 3 OR 5 YEARS LATER. WILT HAVE BETTER STATS YEA. BUT HE COULDNT GET PASS BILL RUSSELL AND THE CELTICS. ABLE FOR HIM TO GET BACK THEM THE 76ers HAD TO PLAY LIKE A TEAM. THATS HOW THEY BEAT THE CELTICS. BUT WILT WENT DOWN HILL AS HE WAS GETTIN OLDER. MICHAEL JORDAN WAS STILL DOMINANTIN. NO ONE COULDNT STOP HIM 96-98. HE CAN SLASH AND SHOOT. IF MICHAEL JORDAN WAS PLAYIN IN THE 60S I BELIEVE THAT HE WOULD OF AVERAGE TIMES 1.5-2 HIS AVERAGE. CAUSE REMEMBER NO ONE AT THE TIME MICHAEL JORDAN WAS PLAYIN COULDNT STOP HIM. SO WHAT WILL MAKE U THINK ANYONE IN THE 60S AND 70S CAN STOP HIM IN HIS PRIME AND WHEN HE CAME BACK. RUSSELL WOULDNT WON ALL THOSE TITLES AND WILT WOULDNT OF WON ALL THOSE SCORING TITLE.

So if anyone have a comment get back at me.

Ben

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I think nobody is going to argue that MJ was one of the best players of all time, he is still changing the game of basketball behind the scences now. MJ will continue and will always be on the best players of all time hands down, he changed the way a lot of the players play the game today, all those championships and all those last minute shots, how can you not say that he is going to be on the best ever.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Bill Russell? You have to be kidding me. The only time he looked good was his battles with the 'Stilt'.. Who was a much better player than him anyway. They had to change the rules to stop the 'Stilt' from scoring, do people forget that? All Bill Russell did was slow him down a bit. In the times of Russell and Wilt there was not that much more competition from other teams, thats why they dominated so much. Wilt even beat the overatted Russell on rebounding as well as many other things.

Bill Russell shouldn't even make the top ten greatest players ever. Bill was just a very good team player and thats all..

As for Wilt if it was just down to pure stats he would win hands down and its close between him and Jordan as to who the greatest players ever is...

But.....

Micheal Jordan is the man, in the list of top players he was the better free throw shooter than most of them, he was the most athletic and for a smaller guy, he possesed the skills, talent of the bigger men. He was a more than capable ball hadler who hustled his azz of every game. He had a pull up jump shot, a fade away jump shot and the best finisher of everyone named so far. Jordan possesed many skills that the others could only dream of, he could shut down the player he was guarding, manage to find the time to hit 40 points + and even find that game winner.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
yea right bill russell was a better defensive than wilt. russell guard anyone from the past and from today . bill russell is in the top 10. it aint close michael jordan is by far the greatest ball player all time. 1984-93 95-98 six championship 5 mvp retired and ncame back won 3 championships.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Genrou
Bill Russell? You have to be kidding me. The only time he looked good was his battles with the 'Stilt'.. Who was a much better player than him anyway. They had to change the rules to stop the 'Stilt' from scoring, do people forget that? All Bill Russell did was slow him down a bit. In the times of Russell and Wilt there was not that much more competition from other teams, thats why they dominated so much. Wilt even beat the overatted Russell on rebounding as well as many other things.

Bill Russell shouldn't even make the top ten greatest players ever. Bill was just a very good team player and thats all..

As for Wilt if it was just down to pure stats he would win hands down and its close between him and Jordan as to who the greatest players ever is...

But.....

Micheal Jordan is the man, in the list of top players he was the better free throw shooter than most of them, he was the most athletic and for a smaller guy, he possesed the skills, talent of the bigger men. He was a more than capable ball hadler who hustled his azz of every game. He had a pull up jump shot, a fade away jump shot and the best finisher of everyone named so far. Jordan possesed many skills that the others could only dream of, he could shut down the player he was guarding, manage to find the time to hit 40 points + and even find that game winner.

This must be the most rediculous posting I have ever heard. Russell is and should be up there in some of the best. Any one who doesn't think so must be kidding themselves for he was one of the guys who actually revolutionalized the game.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Russell's blocks tended to stay in the court, so that his teammates could run up the court. Other great shot blockers can't make that claim.

And that's just one aspect of his game.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
How about that fact that blocks were not counted as a real stat when Chamberlain played. In his first NBA game he had over 10 blocks. If blocks counted he would have undoubtedly been the all time Triple-Double Leader and would have averaged a triple double for his career

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by joshrab88
How about that fact that blocks were not counted as a real stat when Chamberlain played. In his first NBA game he had over 10 blocks. If blocks counted he would have undoubtedly been the all time Triple-Double Leader and would have averaged a triple double for his career

Even with all of his impresive stats, who beat him more often than not? Russells blocks stayed inbounds, too, not something that Wilt was known for. Getting the ball back to your team is more important....

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by joshrab88
would have averaged a triple double for his career

Averaged a triple-double? I dont think so.

I'll give you a double-double, but you cant really think that he averaged over 10 blocks a game for his career, thats ridiculous.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
yea wilt chamberlain average a triple-double. but like i said bill russell is the best defensive center of all-time. he can stop wilt chamberlain, o'neal, ewing, akeeem, and robinson. u can name anyone he can stop. wow michael jordan can score 100 points in the 60s. how many championship wilt have compare to the other centers who played the game. wilt couldnt dominate today like he did in ithe 60s.

comment on that

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Bill Russell is still the best. The game has changed I have to agree but I believe that no matter how much it has changed, it will always be the same, with slight improvements. Bill Russell was the all-star of the 60's/70's and I think his name will always be around!

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
You guys haven't convinced me that Russell wasn't the best ever, and I haven't convinced you that he was. Obviously, I am the one correct here.

Prove me wrong?!?

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Prove me wrong?!?

Bill Russell is not the best...

Try playing NBA LIVE 2005(EA) for the PS2, you'll soon see he isn't..

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmorris101086
yea wilt chamberlain average a triple-double.

comment on that

Where do you find that Wilt averaged a triple-double?

He averaged 30.1 points per game and an amazing 22.9 rebounds per game but just 4.4 assists a game and they didnt start keeping blocked shots until 74-75 but even so, I highly doubt he averaged more than ten a game.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I think at one point he averaged a triple-double but at the end of that season, he was close but as they say it "cloe but no cigar!"

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
r u all stupid!!!!!! MJ is easily the greatest NBA playa of all time. he scored the most points. he started as a dunker and became a great midrange shooter. He wasnt always a defensive player but became one of the legues greatest. he won titles pretty much every year he was in the legue. he was also a clucth player. he won 6 rings 2 gold medals and a dunl competiton also he dunked from the free throw line. put mj in his prime on any team and he himself will make it a dynasty. Not only was mj a great smart player with the best skill in the game he also had the heart of a true "baller" he played through the death of his father even though he felt it was his falt and he played when he had a phenomenon or a sickness of that caliber. i rember that by the end of that game he came close to passin out on the court . he played when most average ppl would call in sic and b layin down in bed. for all these reasons and prob. some i forgot MJ was and will always b the greatest basketball playa ever. and for everyone that says lebron is the next mj u r all stupid and obviously have no idea how fantasic of a playa mj was and should always b rembered as. and when in 20 yr. someome is handed the crown of mj status then wont actualy b as good as mj. over time ppl forget how great the greats actually were they forget all the heart blood and passion a player like mj put into every game. so with time as ppl forget the greatness of mj someone will b crowned the next airness.
NO ONE WILL EVER MATCH THE GREATNESS OF MJ HE IS IN A LEGUE OF HIS OWN

[Edited on 7/12/05 by steve23]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Finally someone gets it right, Michael Jordan is the greatest NBA player of All-Time, Yes Wilt Chamberlain was great and so was Bill Russel, but whats the one thing they had the MJ didn't have, HEIGHT,

MJ was only a 6'6" shooting guard, he had to use more actual ability and raw talent than the other great players. He could score over anyone in his era , even though this era's greatest defenders were dikembe mutombo.Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Olajuwan, Not as good as the pasts great defenders, but you try scoring on these guys and tell me how you do!

Some Stats for Michael Jordan
MJ averaged 30.1 ppg/6.3 rpg/5.3 asts/2.35 spg
He averaged 20.2 ppg in All-Star Competitions
6 championships, 10 scoring titles, 2 gold medals, Finals MVP 6 times,NBA's MVP 5 times, 13 time All-star, All-NBA first Team 10 times
Defensive player of the year in 88,Holds All-time Record for most steals in the playoffs, All-time record for most consectutive double-figure scoring games

Also take into Consideration his 28 game winning shots, most players don't even have the guts to take a game winning shot, MJ took em and made em...

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ah, but it comes down to the rings. Russell's got some for his toes, MJ, just covers one hand and a pinky...

The fact that the Celts didn't win it before Russell and stopped the domination after he retired, proves that he was the best. He made the players around him beter, just by being there.

Jordan tried to do it all himself when he was young. Only when Phil got to town and taught him otherwise, did he learn to share. And then win.

In essence, it took some time for Jordan to refine his overall game. Russell had it from the beginning. And he faced tougher competition for a longer period of time.

And all he did was win. Period.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
it has to b jordan who eva said a ring makes u the best. i say alaround skill and heart makes u the greatest and mj had both. mj had the desier to win and become the greatest. mj is and always will b the greatest of all time. and if u count by medals and/or rings how many playas have two olympic gold medals not many. mj was a great playa plus the legue was smaller when russell was playing. their is no comparison mj is and always will b the greatest nba player

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join