It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Lakers Vs Pistons

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:
Ben

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
that lanky and skiny prince has kept kobe in check throughout this series.

Shaq has had his touches and has scored and will continue without a doubt and same to kobe, but can a team win with just 2 players? NO, Were is payton he is not even close to being himself, malone is injuried and they have nobody off the bench in the low post that can contribute.

Lakers are done, its not a one man show or two man show, its a team effort and thats how the pistons are winnign.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I still don't think it's over and out for LA yet, they have the talent and the desire to pull this thoug out from under Detroit.
Darn, I hate pulling for the Lakers!

Ben

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
look at the stats and it shows that NO team has come from this much behind and won the series.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
look at the stats and it shows that NO team has come from this much behind and won the series.

Ah, just because it never happened before, doesn't mean it's never going to happen.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Oh yes, gotta love a classic Belushi "Animal House" quote.

But I do think it's over for the Lakers. Can they come back from 3-1? Of course, but I dont see it happening. The Pistons have dominated the Lakers, Kobe doesn't hit that 3-pointer to send game 2 to OT, then this series is already over.

I dont think anyone can argue that Detroit has been the better team in ALL FOUR games so far. After watching the first four games, I dont see how LA can beat them three in a row right now. I'd like to see the Pistons win it front of their fans tomorrow night.

And what is your name?
Flounder sir.
Why Flounder?
*burps*"Why not??"

[Edited on 14-6-2004 by ProudAmerican]

Ben

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
everybody and anybody needs to play and step up tomorrow night for the lakers if they want to win this

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
From deans-list.net...:

It was the former champion versus the unknown contender, the offensive juggernaut against the no-name defense. It was supposed to be a blowout. And it was supposed to be the crowning of a dynasty. Sound familiar? But I'm not just talking about the 2004 NBA Finals - I'm talking about Super Bowl XXXVI. I'm talking about the Rams and the Patriots. I'm talking about history...

Remember the headlines? The AFC was weak, and so was their champion. The NFC title game was the real Super Bowl. New England didn't stand a chance. All St. Louis had to do was show up, and the Lombardi Trophy was theirs...

But coulda, shoulda, and woulda amount to nothing more than excuses, excuses, excuses. History isn't about pre-game hype and speculation - it's about facts. And historically, the only thing America hates more than a loser is a loser that shoulda won...

The real story of Super Bowl XXXVI had a much different ring to it. We remember the cool play of Tom Brady, and how it conjured up memories of a young Joe Montana. And how could we forget Adam Viniatieri's 47-yard game-winning field goal as time expired?

But for me, Super Bowl XXXVI wasn't about two men - it was about one team. I don't remember the Rams losing the game. I only remember the Patriots winning it. I remember why an individual team is better than a team of individuals. And I remember why defense wins championships. These are my memories of Super Bowl XXXVI. These are the memories that put the story in history. And these are the headlines making history in the 2004 NBA Finals...

When history repeats itself, Detroit will beat LA - no team has ever blown a 3-1 lead in the Finals. And when Billups becomes Brady and Brown becomes Belichick, I'll remember more than the 2001 New England Patriots. I'll remember why they play the games...

[Edited on 04/10/03 by deanchristopher]

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I thought before Game 4 that even if the Lakers lost that, it still wouldn't be over because all they need is one win to bring it back to LA.

But the problem is to what PA alluded to. We've seen 4 games now and with the exception of the last minute of Game 2 and Overtime of Game 2, the Pistons have outplayed the Lakers all 4 games. At some point, you've got to admit it's not because the Lakers are screwing up, it's because the Pistons just flat out have a better team. I think the Pistons close it out tonight.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

The Japs bombed Pearl Harbor, not the Germans

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Yeah I was going to say that too.

But as PA pointed out I think Gibbs meant to say that as that's a line from "Animal House" which I haven't seen.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Yew, and I quote (from IMDB)-

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard]
Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
[runs out, alone; then returns]

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Keep in mind, Bluto is John Belushi, that was one of the funniest scenes ever.

Back on topic,

I was happy to see the Pistons win tonight, especially for Larry Brown. I know he inherited this team and got Rasheed at the trade deadline but he is still a great coach and more than deserved to add an NBA title to his resume. He also has an NCAA title.

Does the Mailman come back for another year?

Can Kobe and Shaq co-exist as teammates for another season?
That is, if Kobe is allowed to play.

BTW Mulder, you have to rent "Animal House", it's a classic!

Your 2004 NBA Finals MVP.....

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
well...thats it.

The Pistons simply outworked the Lakers this series, and it shouldve been a sweep.

In the back of my mind I knew it was over but I was at least hoping LA would try and compete.

Now for an interesting offseason...

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Yeah and give the Lakers credit too.

To come this far with all the adversity around them. They're probably not going to receive any credit for that (because all the talk will be about the Pistons upsetting them), but they deserve it.

And, of course, congratulations to the 2004 NBA World Champion Detroit Pistons! Great job, fellas!
Congratulations, Osobad.

I knew this game was over at Halftime. Lakers were down double digits, but if you had seen the rest of this series before that point, you knew LA wasn't coming back.

[Edited on 06/16/2004 by Fox Mulder]

Ben

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
congrats to the pistons, they didnt do one thing worng

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
WOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow what an awesome game. It seemed like from the second quarter on everything just went perfect for detroit. No one thought it could be done except for us michigan people who knew all along we had a chance. What do u think though, can detroit win it again next year? As long as we get Sheed back i definately think Detroit can. We have Carlos Delfino coming in next year who is supposedly an excellent player, than there is also Darko who will improve all offseason and whoever we draft. I wouldnt think there would be many changes made to this team.

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
That was a perfectly played series by the Pistons

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
One thing that came out at me as I watched this game was that it seemed just SO, SO similar to when LA began its title runs a few years ago...everyone on the court was playing with enthusiasm, everyone was making clutch baskets, everyone wanted to get to the rebounds and loose balls first...

Ben

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
i still dont get what happened to LA, they were supposed to be the star studded team and look at how the pistons derailed them

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Congrats to the Pistons, they definately deserve the title! I'm glad to see the Lakers lose, but hope that the Mailman decides to make his rounds again for at least another year, I'd like to see him go to San Antonio (where he should have gone last season...) for a shot at the title.

Again, Congrats to the Pistons and all of thier fans! Enojy!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join