It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Lakers Vs Pistons

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by sniper474
Game 1

86 - 80 For the Pistons. They will get the lead and shut down the Lakers during the final minutes when they try to close the gap. That's my perdiction

I was pretty close eh?

Ben

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
does this change the fact that the pistons can win this series?

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I still say Lakers in 6. They'll pull it together. D%#n Lakers!

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
lol damn too bad i have been away or else i think i woulda been all over this thread......I called almost the exact same thing as u did sniper, and was pleasantly surprised to win by 12.....although while watching the game detroit could have easily won by 20. Can any of u imagine the shock if DETROIT swept this series instead of the lakers. I honestly dont think anyone else can score on the pistons besides shaq, kobe, and MAYBE malone. I mean look at the stats from game one...besides kobe and shaq the most anyone else scored was 5 points!?! The lakers havent seen a defense once like this all year and right now obviously dont know how to handle it. Prince's lenght makes him a damn good defender which kobe found out in game one as he said after the game "prince will be an interesting puzzle to have to figure out". and will shaq ever be able again this series to match how good he shot in game one? He shot like what 13-16 and missed onlya couple free throws. I think things just got real interesting considering detroit not only won game one, but won it away and by a considerable margin.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!:

I still say Lakers in 6. They'll pull it together. D%#n Lakers!

I still think Lakers in 6 too. But I think where as Minnesota was more a speed bump for the Lakers' road to a title, Detroit will be more of a hill. I could see this being series being tied up at 2 and anybody's series and then the Lakers squeaking out Game 5 and Game 6.

Originally posted by Osobad28:
and MAYBE malone. I mean look at the stats from game one...besides kobe and shaq the most anyone else scored was 5 points!?!

Speaking of which, you guys see Karl Malone do that choking thing again in Game 1? He looked ready at the start but then later on in the game as soon as he got the ball he got rid of it as quickly as he could like a hot potato. He didn't even look to the basket to shoot.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Game 2 is going to Ooooooooovertime!

Kobe Bryant drops a 25 footer with 2.1 seconds left to tie the game and send it to overtime. What a clutch shot.

I'm rooting for Detroit and I thought for sure the Lakers were going down 0-2. Should be an incredible OT. Go Pistons!

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Lakers win 99-91 in OT to win game 2.

Series tied 1-1.

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Nooooooooo.

I really thought that detroit had it too

posted on Jun, 8 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
pretty insane.

But still, the Pistons got what any visiting team would want in the finals: they stole home court.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
wow, you guys im seriously so bitter.....detroit lost that game, LA didnt win it. With about 30 some odd seconds left detroit was up by 6. The game was theirs to lose. Than shaq goes for a hook shot, and rasheed fouls him. Why. In my eyes that play single handedly lost he game. Give him the 2 points. detroit would still be up by 4 with possesion. Lets say chauncy once again misses and kobe still makes the 3. Games over. Pistons up by one with the ball and 2 seconds on the clock. Instead shaq gets fouled for no reason and they are down by 3. Also prince was supposed to be on kobe but kobe and walton criscrossed. Even so prnce shoulda stayed on kobe and left walton a little more open......You think waltons gonna get he last 3 to tie the game?!?!? not a chance. Leave prince on kobe and the game could be over. Add another full hand onto hamiltons for that shot and kobe would have had to have thrown up a rainbow to get it up.....would it still have gone in...maybe...but it would have been a tougher challenge. The pistons lost this one themselves and left a horribly bitter taste in my mouth. They better win AT LEAST 2 at home or else its over.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Osobad28
wow, you guys im seriously so bitter.....

Well Osobad, join the club my friend. Join the club. Because now you know how I felt when Horry hit that shot in the Western Conference Finals 2 years ago.

The only difference is that shot was a game-winner. But tonight's shot might as well be because Detroit didn't do jack in the Overtime session. Actually this loss and the Kings' loss are almost the same because the Kings had a chance to take a commanding 3 to 1 lead that series and the Pistons had a chance to take a commanding 2 to 0 lead here (and it would be commanding because unlike the San Antonio series these 2 wins are actually at LA).

Lakers sure love those buzzer beaters.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Hopefully the way the lost doesn't damage the Piston's psyche or confidence. They should be happy stealing home court although they easily could have been up 2-0.

Anyone know the extent of the Mailman's injury?

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I don't know about Malone's injury but Larry Brown's got his toughest coaching job yet.

You've only got 2 days (today and tomorrow before the game) to get your team's phyche back up from that devastating loss (and you could tell in Overtime their phyche was really damaged as you would expect) and try to get them to forget about it. You got the split in LA and that's what you wanted. Because it's coming on real fast now. In a blink of an eye and the Pistons could be down 2 games to 1 after tomorrow night.

This is the series right here tomorrow night, I think.

Ben

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
whos got hte upper hand.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Detroit's outplayed the Lakers for most of the 8 Quarters (yeah let's not count the Overtime, heh).

However, you've have to go with the Lakers as having the upper hand after last night.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I totally agree, the Pistons have been the better team so far in regulation, but it's almost like they didn't show up for the overtime. 2 points in 5 minutes, that's not going to get it done.

After that overtime, I would say momentum is on LA's side but with the series going back to Motown, the Pistons and their fans need to seize that momentum back early in game 3.

You're right Fox, Brown does have his work cut out for him, getting his players mentally prepared after giving game 2 away. It's hard to believe with all of Brown's success that he has never won a title. But then again he rarely walks into a winning franchise like Phil Jackson does, although this Pistons team wasn't a rebuilding situation. I'd like to see Brown get one, Phil has 9 and doesn't need another one.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican:

I totally agree, the Pistons have been the better team so far in regulation, but it's almost like they didn't show up for the overtime. 2 points in 5 minutes, that's not going to get it done.

Yeah I would say they didn't show up after Kobe hit that shot. Remember the Pistons had the final possession and they couldn't even get a good inbounds play going. They were beaten psychologically from that point on. I knew there was no way they were going to win in Overtime. That's what worries me the most here. That can't carry over to tomorrow night.

I will say this though. I think there is some hope if you're rooting for the Pistons because I think Detroit's a mentally tough team. I'll point to, if memory serves me correctly, Game 5 between the Nets and the Pistons at Detroit. Nets wins that Triple Overtime, gut wrencher and put Detroit in an elimination game for the next game and Detroit went on to win 6 and 7. So I think there is some hope.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   

I will say this though. I think there is some hope if you're rooting for the Pistons because I think Detroit's a mentally tough team. I'll point to, if memory serves me correctly, Game 5 between the Nets and the Pistons at Detroit. Nets wins that Triple Overtime, gut wrencher and put Detroit in an elimination game for the next game and Detroit went on to win 6 and 7. So I think there is some hope.

thats why im not freakin out too bad here...the pistons are a very resilient (sp?) team and i dont think brown will have a problem getting them motivated. Maybe that loss will get them pissed off enough to come out and dominate at home.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Gentleman, this is the series tonight, IMHO. I can't wait for the game to start.

If the Pistons win tonight, I think they still have a legit chance to win this series. If they don't, I don't care what happens the rest of the series, they'll just be window dressing till the Lakers' title parade.

Why? Because if the Pistons lose tonight, Detroit can only win the series 2 ways. In 6 games, which would require beating the Lakers 3 straight times which I don't see happening or in 7 games and I don't see Detroit winning a Game 7 in LA. Plus if the Pistons lose tonight, they'll be so psychologically beaten, if you add this loss to the brutal Game 2 loss that I don't see them recovering.

So this is it.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osobad28
Than shaq goes for a hook shot, and rasheed fouls him. Why. In my eyes that play single handedly lost he game.

I thin that actually cost them the series. I felt that if Shaq made that free throw, it's over. And that game was. LA can take at least one in Detroit, and if need be, they will win 6 & 7 at home.
I hate that I'm rooting for the Lakers, but I have to, for Karl's sake. I was getting excited the other night, thinking that maybe this won't be the year for Malone to get his ring. But it is, and he had to be a traitor to get it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join