It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: WNBA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The WNBA season started on Thursday, with hardly anyone noticing. I have never actually watched a game myself, but support the women's league. Lookin glong-termdo you think this league will make it, or will it fail, similar to the women's soccer league?

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
We actually have a WNBA team here in Sacramento (the Sacramento Monarchs) but I don't notice.

I hate to say it but I think eventually it will fail. David Stern and the NBA has been fronting money for it since it's inception. Without them I think it would have been gone a long time ago.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Yeah, without the backing of the NBA, this league would have already been history. What a shome, it seems that there is some good ball being played.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I hope it survives; a few years ago they had a pretty successful ad campaign going with some celebrities saying that they watched wnba games...the league seemed to be doing fairly well after that. These latest ads (such as the one that tried to make some of the women players look sexy last year o_O) have turned me off.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!:

or will it fail, similar to the women's soccer league?

Yeah the soccer league was tough.

Because even a men's soccer league has trouble succeeding financially in the U.S.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Diana Taurasi, former UConn star who led here college team to 3 straight NCAA titles, led her team, the Pheonix Mercury, to thier first victory of the year.

story link

Congrats, and hope she can help this league make it!

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
On another note with the WNBA, since I seem to be the voice of Central Pennsylvania on here, I don't understand how Kelly Mazzante from Penn State didn't get drafted until the 2nd round this year. We're talking about the player who leads the Big Ten all-time in scoring. That's both women's and men's Basketball. And she led the Lady Lions to 4 of the best records that they have ever had. so why ovelooked until the 2nd round?

new topics

join