It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Mavs - Warriors, 9 player deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 03:14 AM
link   
DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks finally made a major offseason move, acquiring Antawn Jamison in a nine-player trade with the Golden State Warriors.

The Mavericks also got guard Jiri Welsch and forwards Danny Fortson and Chris Mills from the Warriors for guards Nick Van Exel, Avery Johnson and Antoine Rigaudeau, center Evan Eschmeyer and forward Popeye Jones in the deal announced Monday.

After reaching the conference finals for only the second time in team history, the Mavericks weren't able to land any big-name free agents, primarily Alonzo Mourning who seemed destined for Dallas before signing with New Jersey. San Antonio, Sacramento and the Los Angeles Lakers, the other top teams in the Western Conference, had all already moves to upgrade their rosters.

So, who made out on this deal?

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Wow, the Mavericks got Jamison, nice move. VanExel was good but he was only a 6th man, I wonder why the Warriors made this move.

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheEnforcer:

I wonder why the Warriors made this move.

To free salary cap room.

Supposedly.

Ben

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I was a little surpised though that the Mavs traded Van Exel he is a great gaurd and he did help the MAvs on a great playoff run this year. He scroed many points off the bench and was a great boost of engery sad to see him leave Dallas...maybe he will start with the Warriors.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben:

maybe he will start with the Warriors.

He definitely will Ben, unless he's traded again because Van Exel is supposed to replace Gilbert Arenas at the point guard spot.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 05:30 PM
link   
well the Mavericks got a talented Forward, a step in the right direction for them.

While the Warriors got a guard known to whine when he isnt on very good teams. Although he should replace Arenas fairly well

as for the other players in the trade...who cares about them basically

[Edited on 04/10/03 by Cannon]

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Nick Van Exel's reaction when he first heard about the trade:

Ben

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I doubt Van Exel is happy....i think he liked his role with teh Mavs he was looking to start but he wouldnt have beaten out Nash who is the amazing candian.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 02:49 AM
link   
So, do you think this move puts the Mavs one step closer or do you think the Lakers and Kings are still a level above the Mavs?

It's something how lopsided the talent in the West is compared to the East and it doesnt seem to change. I wish some of the Eastern teams would pursue some of this Western Conference talent.

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Well Warriors also sign Cliff Robinson and some otherguy.

Ben

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The Mavs lost a key player but also they gained another good player but you have to realize how many great players the lakers signed in the off-season and they should be the dominate team.

posted on Aug, 23 2003 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican:

So, do you think this move puts the Mavs one step closer or do you think the Lakers and Kings are still a level above the Mavs?

Personally, I don't think this is a great trade by the Mavericks. One of the Mavs' biggest needs is defense. I live in NorCal and have seen a lot of Warriors' games over the years.

And have seen Antawn Jamison and Danny Fortson and they are 2 of the worse defenders on the 2nd worse defensive team in the league last year which is saying something.

Barring any new moves by Dallas, I still wouldn't be surprised if Dallas drops to 5th behind San Antonio, the Lakers, the Kings, and the Minnesota Timberwolves.

new topics

top topics

join