It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Where is Basketball heading?

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Over the past couple of years has anybody else notice a change in the game of basketball? About 10 to 15 years ago the game of basketball started to change a lot. Back then the game was about finese and shooting ability. Now the game is about taking the ball to the hole and trying to show-off. The Refs are letting players get away with so many calls it is not even funny sometimes. It seems like sometimes that basketball is being taken over my street-ballers. You dont see to much finese now and days, but you do see some of it. The game has gotten a lot more physical, and the game will continue to get more physical.

Also back a couple of years ago players would hardly dripple the ball it was more about catch and shoot. But now you have all these players with fancy drippling skills that like to show off to the camera. How else will the game change? With a lot of the older basketball players that understood the game retiring how much more will this game change and will it be for the good or the bad? People like Stockton and Malone are seeing their careers end. Jordan's career in basketball is over and same with Ewing. If anybody heard during Jordan's last game coach Collins said that the Basketball players on the Wizards other than Jordan had no respect for him. They would swear at him and do things that he had never seen before. If Jordan wasnt their to say to the players this is not the way to treat our coach what would happen? Also that makes you wonder what else goes on in the lockerroom? Is the game being taken over by streetballers?

posted on May, 1 2003 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I dont think our new style of play is necessarily bad, its just different. Instead of a having a focus mainly on shooting, we now have a focus on ball-handling and physicality. While throwing up jump hooks might have been fun to watch "back in the day", personally I would rather see some impressive post work to a dunk. I like the way basketball is going except for the fact that no one is willing to stay in college. I liked how players would stay in college and run their team proudly as seniors.

join