It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Lakers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2003 @ 06:56 PM
link   
What did you guys think of that game last night?

At the end there, Kobe was double-teamed 25 feet away from the basket. I think he should have passed. Robert Horry was open for 3 on the left baseline. What do you guys think?

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 03:26 AM
link   
How about the Lakers split that $5 million exception among Scottie Pippen and Karl Malone for next season?

What do you guys think about that? Would it fill all their needs? What do you think, Cannon?

posted on May, 17 2003 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Would be nice, but do the Lakers really want to get 2 older players who would probably last only one season?

Down here many people are enthusiastic about two possible middle-of-their-careers free agents: P.J. Brown and Gary Payton.

Brown is 34 and very athletic, averaging about 10 points, and, more importantly, 10 rebounds per game. The main weakness the Lakers have developed this year was defensively, since they have lost athleticism as they aged.

Payton(who is 35) on the other hand, provides a much needed third scoring option for the Lakers, plus shares the ball as effectively as the best point guards in the league. Payton probably only has about 2-3 years left in his career, but remains as effective as he used to because his game has never been a high fly act. Thus he's relatively ageless. He's small so he won't grab many rebounds, but shuts down other guards on defense. Payton _seems_ a stretch to be on the Lakers given they can only offer him a 4.5 million exception, but has actually shown interest in the contract, mostly because he likes LA and wants a final go at a championship.

So The Glove and Brown are I think the most likely to take the exception, a little more probable Brown. However I wouldn't rule out Scottie Pippen given that he would have an immediate impact, since he knows the Triangle offense plus knows Phil Jackson.

Also remember the Lakers have a 1 million dollar exception that they used on Brian Shaw this season. He will probably retire, and Pippen could take this contract. That is wishful thinking though

posted on May, 18 2003 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Um, I'd definitely go for P.J. Brown if I were you guys, Cannon. Now that I think about it, Malone's going for that scoring record. That probably wouldn't fit well with Shaq and Kobe.

I don't know about Payton. I heard rumors that he can be a cancer in the locker room. Most of his Ex-Supersonic teammates were relieved he got traded, not just management. They actually get to see more of the ball now.

Ben

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I honestly don't think that the Lakers would go ahead and sign payton, they had Fisher at the point guard and he can be very solid. If they were to sign him, that would mean Kobe would be a shooting forward, and then Fisher at the shooting guard. They is a good chance that the Lakers are going to go for Malone. And Malone would most likely take the offer, since he is looking for a team that can win a championship. The Lakers have problems stopping power forwards, and Malone is one of the best at that position. Don't forget the lakers have two first round picks this year in the draft.

posted on May, 19 2003 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Well there are many choices. PJ does seem the most likely come to think of it.

The reason Payton was considered was his defense. Fisher has lacked the speed to defend the Mike Bibbys and Tony Parkers in the league.

However, i really think what the Lakers need is a solid power forward. I think that if the Lakers keep rookie Jannerro Pargo and teach him some defense, he will solve the guard issue. He already has the speed.

Karl Malone going for the scoring record is definitely an issue, but come to think of it, the Lakers need exactly that- a forward willing to take mid-range jump shots. The jump shots define Malone's current game. He's a relatively smart defender too.

PJ seems a little more promising with his rebound numbers though. Besides, the Lakers have never been the top scoring team. What they have been the best at was their defense- two years ago best in defense. Numbers such as rebounding and three point defense have deteriorated, but another rebounding presence in the paint would free up everyone to defend the perimeter.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 02:52 AM
link   
LOS ANGELES -- Shaquille O'Neal acknowledged he "messed up'' by not attending his season-ending meetings with the Lakers' staff, a snub that had angered coach Phil Jackson.

The players were expected to meet with the coaches before taking off for the summer. All attended their interviews except O'Neal, Rick Fox, who was undergoing surgery for a foot injury, and Samaki Walker, a free agent who won't be back with the team.

The meetings were held two days after three-time defending NBA champion Los Angeles was eliminated by the San Antonio Spurs in the Western Conference semifinals.

O'Neal told Fox Sports Net's Southern California Sports Report he should have gone to his interview at the team's El Segundo headquarters.

espn.go.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 06:15 PM
link   
nothing new, Shaq occasionally blows off practices or meetings with coaches. Not a very good attitude, but its only magnified now that the Lakers lost to the Spurs.

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I'm sorry but I absolutely hate shaq...kobe seems like a genuinely nice guy and doesnt do the usual gangster # that alot of the famous players seem to enjoy (iverson), but shaq seems like a complete asshole

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Hey, guess what?

It's going to be Malone to the Lakers for the minimum and Gary Payton for the midlevel exception.

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osobad28
I'm sorry but I absolutely hate shaq...kobe seems like a genuinely nice guy and doesnt do the usual gangster # that alot of the famous players seem to enjoy (iverson), but shaq seems like a complete asshole

I couldn't disagree more. Shaq is well known in LA as a man who gives back to the poor community, and has annual events to help disadvantaged children. He recently bought 40 homes for poor families.

The man's personality with the media may be up-and-down, but he genuinely is a nice guy. You can't really judge someone from what you see on TV.

------------------------

Now, onto the matter of Gary Payton:

Payton to 'follow dream' with Lakers

ESPN.com news services

Aaron Goodwin, the agent for Gary Payton, told ESPN's David Aldridge Tuesday

afternoon that Payton has chosen to sign a free-agent contract with the Los Angeles Lakers, despite L.A.'s financial limitations.

The Lakers, well over the NBA's $40-plus million salary cap, were limited to offering Payton a starting salary of $4.9 million for next season. It is believed Payton will sign a multiyear deal with the dethroned champions on July 16, the first day teams are permitted to formally sign free agents.

"He could have taken a lot more money to go somewhere else," Goodwin told ESPN.com, referring to efforts by the Portland Trail Blazers to acquired Payton in a sign-and-trade with Milwaukee. "But he's going to Los Angeles to follow his dream."

The Lakers declined comment on the report, but a team spokesman told The Associated Press that general manager Mitch Kupchak would make a statement later Tuesday or Wednesday.

Payton selected the Lakers over Portland, Miami -- both teams made Payton substantial contract offers, according to Aldridge.

Aldridge also reported that Karl Malone is still mulling offers and won't make a decision for at least another day, although Payton's decision to play for the Lakers does move him in the direction of the Lakers as well.

Bucks general manager Larry Harris said Monday that Payton declined to stay with Milwaukee.

Payton started 28 games for the Bucks, averaging a team-high 19.6 points and 7.8 assists.

espn.go.com...

------------------------

I'm not really sure if im buying this QUITE yet, not until the deal is signed and done. Countless athletes have claimed they will sign with a certain team when at the last minute they will sign a larger contract with another. So for now i'm not saying anything.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 01:12 PM
link   
well that settles everything....congrats to LA for winning the NBA championship in 2004!

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The county district attorney said Wednesday he has not decided whether to file criminal charges against Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant, who has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman.

District Attorney Mark Hurlbert said he likely will not announce his decision before Friday or early next week. "We're still looking at the evidence and gathering the facts," Hurlbert said.

Bryant was arrested July 4 on allegations he sexually assaulted the 19-year-old woman June 30 at the Lodge & Spa at Cordillera in nearby Edwards.

An attorney for the five-time NBA all-star has said Bryant is innocent.

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Hey. Do you guys think the Lakers can win 70 games this season?

You know like the 1995 to 1996 Chicago Bulls.

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Well they do have the fab 4. And if Kobe is out for a while there is talk of getting MJ.

posted on Nov, 13 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by freak29:

And if Kobe is out for a while there is talk of getting MJ.

Yeah I heard that MJ said, "Thanks but no thanks" when Phil Jackson mentioned that possibility.

posted on Dec, 5 2003 @ 07:31 PM
link   
How about the Lakers?

Impressive back-to-back wins last night and Wednesday night.

First they beat San Antonio, then they hand the Dallas Mavericks, their first home loss of the season.

Ben

posted on Dec, 6 2003 @ 01:00 PM
link   
lol the lakers are just playing outstading....they have arugably the four top players in the league. Shaq, Payton, Kobe, and Malone i mean that is a danergous team...and they have good players coming off the bench. I saw the one play were shaq ran the point that was funny...maybe shaq could be a PG

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 03:48 PM
link   
They're 19-3 right now.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Probably 20 and 3 after tonight.

The Mavericks are probably going to get another beat down.

You know the Mavericks have lost an amazing 26 straight times in LA to the Lakers?

The last time the Mavericks won there, the first George Bush was President and the first Gulf War was going on.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join