It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Jeff George: He's Baaaack!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Jeff George signs contract with Raiders. No, he hasn't thrown a regular season pass for five years, but he is in shape and will be looking to get the backup job in Oakland.

Story- www.chron.com...

I used to rag on this guy as much as anybody when he was in college and after the Colts drafted him #1, but he's won me over. Looking back at his career, he's never had the benefit of any continuity at head coach, and some of that is due to his gypsying around the NFL. But the guy can flat throw the ball like no one I've ever seen.

He's never been a good leader and his personality, at least in his youth, put off a whole lot of people, but I for one love that he's getting another shot.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Yeah, I think this is funny.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It's been 5 years since the guy has played. Desperation move by the Raiders.

He jus tisn't a team player. He was Ryan Leaf's mentor, though Leaf never knew it...

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
D@#M crappy connection!

[Edited on 8/30/2006 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
That's true, he hasn't played in a regular season game for 5 years, but he's been on rosters more recently than that. And he's in shape and ready. I'll agree with you, he was an arrogant so-and-so in college and his first few years in the league. But he's matured a lot (as have we all, I hope) and I think he can be a very good team mate/mentor at this point.

I know here in Indy (where he's from and still lives) he's kept a fairly low profile, but when he is heard from, it's always for something positive in the community. I'm aware of a few things he's done where there was no publicity at all but were amazingly charitable and generous.

At this point, he's a standup guy and family man and I'd love to see him have some success on the field this season (as unlikely as that is). Believe me, he's still got a rocket.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
He's one guy who just never found a home. Physically, he was amazing. He wowed the guys at the 1990 NFL combine when he threw the ball 89 yards in the air. George would have been great in another era, an era where taking chances and going long was still practiced. In this day and age, the quarterbacks are supposed to be guys who play it safe and work within the system. The gunslinger is out (take a look at what's happened to Brett Favre). I could see George playing in the 1960's or the 1970's, back when it was all right to have 25 TD and 18 interceptions with a 53% completion rate. Like Daryle Lamonica, he could have taken those chances and been vindicated by the long completions and TDs he would have gotten.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
BtB, I completely agree with everything you said. The West Coast offense definitely isn't George's style, or strength.

He may not stick. He may stick as 3rd string and never see any action. But I'd love to see him get in a game and sling it around and have some success.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Since he's been cut, will they try to re-signhim?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
The story I hear is that if he'd been on the roster on opening day, they'd owe him a year's salary. By cutting him now, they bave the ability to call him back for a 4 game contract if he's needed. Art Shell says thay have him on speed dial. They're banking (and probably accurately) that no one else will sign him. So, this wasn't an unexpected move.

They'll bring him in if they need to.

new topics

top topics

join