It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Theismann on Owens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
No, I don't have a link to a man-on-man vid with Joe and Terrell (shudder). I was clicking through the channels last night and the ubiquitous Joe Theismann was being interviewed (does he love the sound of his own voice, or what?)

Terrell Owens came up and why I didn't change the channel then and there, I don't know. But I didn't.

Anyway, Joe's belief is that Owens's troubles are behind him and now that he's being paid what he wants, he'll have a monster year. The interviewer (Morten Anderson, maybe? I was getting ready for bed) said there's sure to be a blowup between Owens and Parcells or Owens and Jerry Jones. Joe says "no way". I think Joe's wrong. And I couldn't wish it on a better franchise. Even though I've always been a Parcells fan, the loathing I have for Jerry Jones cancels that out. Cowboys

On another note, I've heard Terrell claim lately that he was "misquoted" in his "autobiography". Now wait a minute... if it's an "autobiography", then you wrote it, right? And if you didn't write it, then isn't it being sold under false pretenses as an "autobiography"? BHN , can we get a class action suit against this guy for fraud?

I heard this week about a guy suing for $832 mil because he looks so much like Michael Jordan it puts him out. I saw him. he's a 6' black guy with a shaved head. I thought he looked more like Montel Williams.

>LINK<

Suit's been dropped though, I believe. Wacky stuff.

[Edited on 7/28/06 by yeahright]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Theismann annoys the living pee outta me, but he may actually have a point. TO's first season in Philly, he did actually toe the company line, and wasn't too much of a pain. Then good 'ole Drew started whispering sweet tens of millions in his ear, and he started acting up again.

So yeah, maybe he does do good this year. Good enough for the 'boys to win it all? I'm not sure of that, but who really knows how th echips will fall anyway?

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I utterly detest Joe Theismann as well. I only hope that Tony Kornheiser can couteract his antics on MNF the same way Paul Maguire did. As for what he said about TO, let's look, at the evidence. He has played with two Pro Bowl quarterbacks on winning teams and he made a fuss and caused a ruckus in each locale. He is poison to a team, and as an Eagles fan, I am thankful he is out of Philadelpia. Who are we going to believe: Theismann or the evidence?

As for that Michael Jordan lawsuit thing, I was laughing out loud when I read that. Laughing but angry at the same time. The man is 6'1", while Jordan is 6'6". That's a really big difference--it would be like my being mistaken for Larry Bird. The funniest part of the whole thing, though, was when the guy said that people mistook his basketball skills for Jordan's. Yeah, right.

[Edited on 7/28/06 by BirdstheBest]

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Funny thing about Theismann. I used to absolutely love the guy. Big fan when he was at Notre Dame (an Indiana school after all) and when he came to the 'skins after the stint in Canada. His name was pronounced Theesman until Notre Dame realized they could make it rhyme with "Heisman" and it's been pronounced that way ever since. Of course, Plunkett won the Heisman in '70. Archie Manning (The Ballad of Archie Who) was in the running that year, too.

He was a throwback guy, and a little guy by football standards, running back kickoffs and doing whatever he need to to help the team. He had that single bar facemask which nobody else but some kickers used by that time. I think he might've used a leather helmet if he could've.

But somewhere along the way, I just got tired of him. Great player, loved to watch him play. Now I just want him to shaddap.

posted on Jul, 31 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Theismann was a great competitor and an amazing athlete, but he's one irritating commentator. I think that the play that I'll always remember from Joe Theismann was a defensive play he made in Super Bowl XVII. He threw a pass that was deflected by Kim Bokamper. Bokamper was settling under it, ready to tuck the ball in a head for the touchdown (no one was in his way), when Theismann made a great diving play to knock the ball out of Bokamper's hand. If Miami had gotten that defensive TD, the game may have turned out differently.

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Heard Theismann on TV the other night backpedalling big-time on his previous comments about Terrell. NOW he's saying the Cowboys would be better off without him and no one in the league needs TO's crap.

I guess all those years in Washington served Theismann well. Flip-flopper!!

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I'm actually of the view Owens will play it straight this year, put up big numbers, make the Pro Bowl (no predictions here re Super Bowl), and co-exist pretty well with Big Tuna, because whatever else Owens is (you name it--I actually hate the guy quite a bit worse than Bonds, and I believe he, too, is a PED cheat), he's not stupid. He knows that if Tuna can't get him to use his immense talent and stop acting like a gang-banging, endlessly self-promoting PUNK, nobody can. And he knows that will be his legacy if he blows it this year.

But there is a tide, and all that, and I don't think Owens can last more than a year. About the time Parcells gets to telling Jones (whom I also loathe) that he's too old and unhealthy for the aggravation, Jones will invoke the stern, broad misconduct clauses which YOU KNOW he had included in Owens' contract. And Owens' @ss will be on the next train out of town, probably to seek employment with Al Davis, because nobody else will have him after he fails under Tuna, the appealing reasoning being, "If Tuna couldn't do it, why should I think I can?"

BHN

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
You may recall Parcells had a rocky relationship once upon a time in New England with Terry Glenn. Tuna questioned Glenn's toughness in '96 to the point of referring to him as "she" to get a rise out of him. Glenn went on to have a pretty good Pro Bowl/Super Bowl season and is now doing well for Dallas, in fact putting up numbers he hasn't had since his rookie year under Tuna.

The question, I think, is does Tuna care enough about Owens to work that old Tuna magic? Now that may sound stupid, I mean, why wouldn't he care since a healthy and motivated Owens can be an awesome offensive weapon. I don't know other than he's older now and may just be growing tired of the crapola. Maybe not. I think Owens can be the most disruptive force imaginable and he craves the attention that brings. He's a very different breed than someone like Glenn.

I think the two biggest NFL stories at this point (for sure in Texas if nowhere else) are: Will Owens settle down and be the player he can be? And: The Texans. Did they blunder big-time by not taking Reggie Bush instead of Mario Williams now that their #1 back Domanick Davis is out with a knee injury and Williams really hasn't impressed anybody, yet?

Almost makes me feel a little sorry for Gary Kubiak.

My Predictions- Owens will not be worth the trouble and Kubiak will seriously regret not taking Bush #1.

Ohh yeah. Here's my all time favorite Joe Theismann quote-
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
With all the media attention, TO will be a lost cause in big D, he'll be too busy basking in the media spotlight to attend practice (or even meetings?!).

As for the Super Mario pick, dont' be too quick to be judgemental. Houston has a real good RB, maybe Bush is better, but, prior to Davis's injury, Davis would be a worthy candidate to carry his team. And they really, really need the help on defense. So no, I don't think that was a bad pick for them at all.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Well, then, shame on the massive number of people in "the public" who care enough about this @$$#*le (
) to keep him so prominently in the news.

Like me and the rest of us who've posted here. (
)

B.T.W., I was compared to Terrell Owens recently--in the context of being someone whose enormous talent is not worth all of the attendant headaches. That was quite an insult, as far as I was concerned, considering that I dislike Owens about 3 times as much as I dislike Barry Bonds. And the long-timers here know what that means.

Yes, the coward who made that remark did so anonymously, with all of the secrecy and safety which the Internet brings someone. Oh, the luxury of being able to write with one's mouth a check which one knows one will never have to cash with one's derriere....

("Jeez, Jim, you talk awfully tough for a guy who's 53! When are you going to chill with your Big Man complex?")

["In another 5 or 10 years, when I don't have my right cross anymore. I've still got it, and although I've lost 75 pounds, I'm still 6'2", 250, so I still think I'm a hard@ss until someone shows me otherwise.]

The above psychotic conversation came to you from Jim's Twilight Zone. But the Terrell Owens comparison story is true. So here's my question for each of you:

How would YOU have reacted to that kind of comparison??

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Gibbs- I don't think we can yet call it a "bad" pick. And I could be proven to be very wrong >shudder

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well, ok, thanks and all, but my question assumes there's a reaction. And the comparison obviously implies an enormous amount of talent, as well as a world-class amount of @$$#*lishness. So it's a huge compliment and a raging insult, at once.

So, ASSUMING YOU'D HAVE REACTED....

Would you have:

(1) Said to yourself that there's a very big compliment in there, too, and let it slide; or

(2) Gotten PO'ed?

(3) And if #2, just how PO'ed would you have gotten, assuming the person was one whose opinion you'd previously respected--to the extent one can come to respect opinions of faceless people on the Net? (You, in particular, know how much I respect YOUR opinion, and I believe strongly in my heart that you respect mine.)

BHN

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I think it will take more than an year for T.O. to combust, simply because he's getting the money he wants now. In Philly, he felt he was underpaid, and that just made his usual sour demeanor even more intolerable. My bet is that he walks the line, just barely staying away from the offensive side--the side that will draw the wrath of Bill Parcells. Next year, he finds something to bitch about, whether it be the quarterback or the coaches or the owner. We all know that he can find something to complain about and to be generally be a big pain in the buttocks.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
BHN-

Yes, I respect your opinion because I know a little bit about you and have a high regard for your intellect and experience.

Now one thing I didn't pick up on in your original statement was that it was from someone "whose opinion you previously respected". I was going with "anonymous coward". I was envisioning a one-time hit and run from someone with whom you'd had no previous interaction.

Yes that changes the equation, slightly. Honestly, I don't think it would piss me off. Let's say tomorrow Aegis Fang or Gibbs orBtB called me out with a major insult. My initial reaction would be "WTF is his problem?" Then I'd attribute it to someone having a bad day and needing to lash out with me being a convenient target. Basically, I can't take things personally from people who don't know me personally. Especially if I know I had no intent to offend originally.

Think of it as a public service. Maybe someone vents at you and that releases enough pressure to prevent him from hitting his kid or kicking his dog. Some people are pathetic enough that thinking they laid a little cyber smackdown on someone may be the biggest accomplishment they have that month. Or year. And if that comes at my "expense", then big whoop. Hope it was worth it.

I've got too much garbage coming at me in real world to allow anonymous Internet posters to get me riled. My emotional bank account is already overdrawn, and I'm not cashing any checks from the anonymous.

Here's my view (and it's mine, I'm not preaching). I'm not responsible for anyone else's feelings, and no one is responsible for mine. If they get POd that's on them, and if I do then that's my fault. I can't "make" anyone angry. No one can "make" me angry. Although believe me, I can get really riled. But I recognize that's a reaction for which I'm ultimately responsible.

Having said that, screw the guy. Who cares what he thinks, anyway? If it's an enormous compliment and huge insult, they cancel each other out and you're at -0-.

The Dude abides.

Oh yeah, BtB- I'll take that bet. There'll be a big blowup with Owens this season. He. Just. Can't. Not. Do it.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Thought I'd dig this one out of the dustbin just to fall on my sword and say I was wrong about a "big Blowup" with Terrell. He certainly didn't have a banner year in 2006. tuna's gone and he has a new receivers coach coming in.

If he actually decides to give the playbook a cursory glance, he might actually do something. Don't count on it.

To counter that misstep on my part, anyone want to still maintain the Texans made a wise choice in taking Williams #1 over Reggie Bush?

new topics

top topics

join