It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Pre season games

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Well, training camps open in the NFL this week, and the pre-season games are just around the corner (a week and a half or so, if memory serves correctly). Time now for the annual debate - Are pre-season games worth anything? Ask Micheal Vick and Atlant fans a couple years back, they might so not so. I can see 1 or 2 games, but 4-5 games? That's rediculous!

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I think pre-season games are important simply for the reason that many jobs are handed out and lost after pre-season game performances but I do agree that 4 or 5 games is a bit much. I think between training camp and say, 3 pre-season games, that should be enough to evaluate players. I'm so glad the season is drawing near, cant wait!!

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I don't know anyone who doesn't think 4 preseason games are too many. Except the owners. If you're a season ticket holder the ticket pricing is based upon the pre season and regular season games. Plus, the preseason games are televised. So it's just more revenue.

Bill Polian (Colts GM) has stated repeatedly that the Colts don't care about winning preseason games, it's strictly a talent evaluation tool and a way to get rookies a feel for live game conditions. The Colts didn't win a pre season game last year and went on to have a pretty good (if shorter than expected) season.

I'd think 2 preseason games would be plenty, but it's a money thing. Oh yeah, the Colts are already sold out for 2006.

Colts preseason opponents-
Rams, Seahawks, Saints, Bengals.

Regular season opener vs NYG on 9/10. The Battle of the Mannings. I can't wait.

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'd agree that 2 preseason games are enough. They hould have more scrimmages for evaluation, but then again, the owners can't make money off them...

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
It is all about the money. Sports in the United States revolve around the football season--particularly the NFL season. There are many fans who being counting down to the football season the moment the NBA playoffs are over. There is a guy at work who told me when it was seven weeks until training camp. Even though baseball is heading toward the homestretch, the NFL is dominating the conversation on TV and radio. Each night on SportsCenter the experts discuss yet another topic. The NFL knows how much people are into it; that's why the NFL draft is televise and is such a big event. That's why the preseason games are televised nationally. They see a demand and they put forth the product. Four or five games may be a bit too much for evaluating talent, but if the NFL didn't think the games were making money, they wouldn't televise them or have so many.

new topics

top topics

join