It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: McNair outta Tennessee?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Word on the street is that the Titans want to unload Steve McNair's contract to someone else, and insert Vince Young as the starter right away.

Big mistake, kids. You need to keep McNair there, for at the very least one season. Let young Vince learn the intricacies of the professional game under one of the best this past decade. You (and Vince!) will live to regret this move, if you go ahead with it.

Yahoo sports LINK

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
*refrains from swearing*

Screw them. For what McNair has done and meant to this franchice and they treat him in this manner? They should be ashamed. I have no further use for this team. And I once, not too long ago, did.

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I agree that this would be a huge mistake by the Titans. McNair has had a great career; he has made a Super Bowl appearance and has a regular season MVP under his belt. Vince Young, regardless of his athletic ability, is a raw talent. He played in a simple one-read system at Texas, taking the snaps out of the shotgun. Playing QB in the NFL is going to be a whole new experience for Young. He needs someone to tutor him so he can learn the system.

Now Matt Leinart has that tutor at Arizona in Kurt Warner. Warner is one of the humblest men ever to play the game. He has been willing to work with Marc Bulger in St. Louis and Eli Manning in New York. He can definitely help Leinart.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BirdstheBest
Now Matt Leinart has that tutor at Arizona in Kurt Warner. Warner is one of the humblest men ever to play the game. He has been willing to work with Marc Bulger in St. Louis and Eli Manning in New York. He can definitely help Leinart.

Not sure I can agree with you on that statement, didn't he demand a trade from both teams because of the younger player? Or maybe it was just that he got dropped from St. Louis, I don't recall which. Either way, he coddle the younger guy and just let him step in. His wife definatly made more noise, but Kurt was none too happy about either situation, either...

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Without getting into the Warner issue, let me say I will be APPALLED if the Titans just cut McNair loose like that. Not only will it be a very stupid move tactically, for the reasons Gibbs and BtB say, but it will be a profoundly amoral and hateworthy thing, for the reasons True North says.

I've always liked that team. If they cut McNair, I wouldn't root for them against the freakin' Cowboys.

BHN

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
They sorta screwed Eddie George over, too, a couple of years ago. He ended up goign back there, I beleive, but never played much of a role with them again.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
In defense of the Titans, however, I will say that the cap room McNair's salary takes up is enormous. I believe it is $23 million--out of a $102 million cap. That is a lot of cap space even for an impact player in his prime, let alone a beat up guy whose best days are behind him.

top topics

join