It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Let's talk DB's. Your favorite?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
OK, it may surprise you that I'm a big fan of defense, not offence. The glory guys(DL and LB's) usually get the press. Unless you're flashy like Primetime a DB will probably be remembered for the one he let get past him than anything else. There have been many greats at this position and I'm not talking about the best here, that is a matter of debate. Who's your favorite and why?

For me that's an easy question. I loved this guy not only for his ability but for his intensity and amazing hits. He'd hit anyone, no matter the size, with the same power. This probably took a couple of years off of his career but he gave his all to the game.

I give you Ronnie Lott.

www.geocities.com...

[Edited on 4/27/06 by truenorth]

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Darrell Green.

He was the ultimate Redskin. Played the position longer than anyone else (19 years). Never switched teams.

4 time fastest man in the NFL, 7 probowls, most consecutive seasons with an interception (19), and played more game sthan any other Redskin.

And also because he has his own website - www.darrellgreen.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I remember Green. He didn't have the #'s of Lott but he also played Special Teams did he not? And he wasn't the biggest guy either.

Green? We need a "thumb's up" icon.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Ronnie Lott was not only talented but also versatile. He was a Pro Bowl cornerback before he moved to free safety, the position everyone remembers him playing at. He was a starter his rookie year. Great against the run and pass, and, of course, a brutal hitter. I'll never forget, though, that play in 1986 when the Giants' Mark Bavaro bulled through him and dragged him 15 yards downfield.

Darrell Green was fast, but not really that talented. His speed enabled him to compensate for mistakes. The image I always recall when I think of Green is his chasing down Tony Dorsett when he was a rookie.

Many people will agree that the best pure cover corner ever was Deion Sanders. The term "shutdown corner" was coined specifically for him. I never saw him get burnt for a whole game, and rarely for even a single play. Jerry Rice, who I considered to be the greatest player in NFL history, had to work very hard to get receptions against Sanders. Deion was also an outstanding athlete who had the potential to go all the way any time he touched the ball. In 1994, when he was Defensive Player of the Year with SF, his stats were incredible: 6 INT, 303 INT return yards, and 3 TD returns. That's 50.5 yards a return!

Rod Woodson may be the best DB of all time. Like Ronnie Lott, he started his career at CB before moving to safety. He had 73 interceptions in his career, with a record 12 of them returned for touchdowns. In his early years he was very fast and exceptionally quick. Always powerful, he relied more on that power at safety in his later years. If one were to pick an all time defensive backfield, Woodson would have to be on that team.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
well may not be any good but i would have to say patrick surtian.... i always liked the guy and i wish the fins woulda kept him... he was a good guy i think an awsome player and i think (no offense to sam madison) but a better player then sam by far.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Actually, my favorite defensive backs were on my favorite team, the Philadelphia Eagles. Wes Hopkins was on his way to being the best safety in the league when he suffered a terrible knee injury in 1986. He would rehab and have a good career (he was part of that phenomenal 1991 Eagles defense), but he was never quite the same after that injury.

Andre Waters played strong safety on that '91 team. He was a heavy hitter, and perhaps a little dirty sometimes. Also on that team was cornerback Eric Allen, a six-time Pro Bowler. Allen is one of the few players in NFL history who returned four interceptions for touchdowns in the same season. He will be up for the Hall of Fame next year, but I don't think he'll get in on the first ballot.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by truenorth
I remember Green. He didn't have the #'s of Lott but he also played Special Teams did he not? And he wasn't the biggest guy either.

Green? We need a "thumb's up" icon.

My favorite memory of Green was in the playoffs against Chicago back in the mid-'80's sometime. He was returning a kickoff, was heading out of bounds, and twisted in mid-air over top of some Bear player to get back within the sideline, and he ran another 40 or so yards for a TD. That move was the most incredible I have ever seen. I wish I could reemember when that game was.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
#46 for Da Bears, Doug Plank. Big hitting safety. I remember a story about his days at Ohio State. He'd cream a guy on the field then come to the sideline. All Woody Hayes would say is, "Not as good as Tatum". Apparently, this successfully motivated Doug, because he became one of the most feared hitters in the NFL. The "46" defense was named for him, and although he'd already retired in '83 with a neck injury and missed the Super Bowl year, he'll always be remembered by me as one of the all-time fierce competitors.

Currently coaching the Georgia Force in the Arena League.

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Gibbs, I believe the game you are remembering was in January 1988. The Redskins won that game 21-17 on their way to being Super Bowl champions. However, I can't seem to recall if it was that game or the one the same two teams player the previous year, when Washington won 27-13. Hmm.For some reason now I'm thinking it was the '87 game.

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Did a quick google search, I can't find 'nuthin about that game. I was curious when I made that post, now that you're into this too, I'm really bugged. Need more research!

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Gibbs, you need to improve your Googling skills! I did a search and found some information right away. My first instinct was right: that was the 1988 game.

www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=3891

posted on Apr, 29 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Ah, nice work my friend! Now, for your next assignment, video...

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I think that NFL scouts may have been listening to us, as 5 CB's went in the first rond of th eNFL drafft yesterday...

top topics

join