It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Best QB WR combo.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Who do you think is the best ever QB WR combo....this could be a very dumb thread but I thought I would give it a try.

My Vote: Montana and Rice

Oh and P.S. sorry if I am sortof flooding the boards today but I really like this site and my girlfriend is sick so I can pretty much do whatever I want but when I am unoccupied I become bored.

[Edited on 4/25/06 by SurfOBBC]

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Keep posting, my friend. I'm getting married in December, so I need to enjoy the time I have to get off on this site.

I'll say that your pick of the best QB-WR tandem is the right one, with Steve Young-Jerry Rice a close second. I find it absolutely amazing that Rice is in the #2 and #3 tandems of all time in terms of touchdown passes. Jerry Rice was great without those QB's but match him up with a pair of Hall of Famers and he will torch any defense.

Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning are #1 on that list, but that is over a longer period of time. Rice played six years with Montana, one of those years being the '87 strike year and one being '86, the season Montana missed eight games due to a back injury. Young and Rice played eight years together, but in '97 Rice missed all but two games with an injury and in '91 and '95 Young missed five games to injuries.

Here's some duos that don't get the recognition they deserve. They may not be the best ever, but they are up there: Bradshaw-Stallworth and Bradshaw-Swann, Marino-Clayton and Marino-Duper, Lamonica-Wells, Stabler-Biletnikoff, Fouts-Joiner, Staubach-Pearson, Aikman-Irvin, and my personal favorite as an Eagles fan, Jaworski-Quick.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I'm on record as believing Young was a better player than Montana. However, unlike in baseball, I DO believe there are clutch performers in football, and while I would take Young and Rice in the regular season, I would prefer Montana and Rice in the playoffs.

Either way, it's a goldmine.

BHN

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I prefer Montana.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
With Montana at QB, Rice had 12 playoff TD receptions (it may have been 11 because Young did relieve Montana in an '87 playoff game against Minnesota). With Young, he had 7 playoff TD receptions. BHN, I agree with your assessment, and I actually believe Young was a better player than Montana. No QB in history had the overall talent he did: running and passing, he is the best. Marino was a better passer, but he couldn't run at all. Randall Cunningham was a better runner, but his passing skills were nowhere near Young's. For the post-1978 quarterbacks, I rank Young #1.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Montana didn't throw too many long balls but he had a way of throwing the shorter passes just picking his opponent apart.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Actually, Young did not throw the long ball a whole lot either. It's part of the West Coast Offense system. The passing system is based on slants and screens. With Rice, a seven-yard slant could turn into a 30-yard gain.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Yeah

Rice was deffinitelly one of the greatest.

If not the greatest.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Rice was the best. Probably will be the best in my lifetime. The confluence of events that led to his amazing career, talent, drive, work ethic, supporting QB's and WR's, little injury time, that doesn't come around very often. Yes, Rice was/is the best. Now the QB for the tandem, look at my panel.
Young had better numbers but in the crunch you want Joe Cool.

7. The John Candy incident

So how cool was 49ers quarterback Joe Montana? His 49ers were trailing the Bengals with 3:10 left to play in Super Bowl XXIII. They had the ball on their 8-yard line. They were 92 yards short of victory.

But Montana was unperturbed.

"I was kind of wild on the sidelines before we took the field for that drive," tackle Harris Barton later recalled. "I was worried about the penalty on the kickoff that set us back to the eight. I was yelling at somebody, can't remember who. Joe came over to me."

Here is how the conversation went:

"Hey, check it out," Montana said.

"Check what out?" Barton said.

"There in the stands, standing near the exit ramp, there's John Candy." Montana said.

Barton played along.

"I looked," he said. "Sure enough, it was him. I grabbed John Frank, our tight end. 'Hey, John,' I said. 'There's John Candy.' Then I got hold of myself. What the hell was I doing? Fifteen seconds later we're in the huddle and Joe's clapping his hands and saying, 'Hey, you guys want it? Let's go.'"

Then Montana proceeded to calmly march his team the length of the field for the game-winning touchdown and a 20-16 victory. He completed eight of nine passes and capped the comeback with a 10-yard completion to John Taylor.

msn.foxsports.com...

As for Manning and Harrison, not equitable imo, the Niners never had a running threat like James to keep the defense off kilter.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
"The John Candy Incident"

I love that story. Montana is the greatest in my book, no doubt, and of course you gotta go with Ric eat WR, so that combination is indisputed.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I'm gonna have to agree with Montana/Rice, although you could probably insert any QB name followed by Rice and it would be a good fit, the guy was unbelievable he could catch just about anything.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Just so you all know, the Niners did have some strong running threats in their 20 year rule: Wendell Tyler, Roger Craig, Rickey Watters, and Garrison Hearst. It was the strong running of the Niners, coupled with HOF quarterbacks, that enabled their offense to be so potent.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BirdstheBest
Just so you all know, the Niners did have some strong running threats in their 20 year rule: Wendell Tyler, Roger Craig, Rickey Watters, and Garrison Hearst. It was the strong running of the Niners, coupled with HOF quarterbacks, that enabled their offense to be so potent.

Well, none of these guys are the calibre of James. I have to disagree on your assesment, it was the passing game that opened up the running game for the Niners, with the exception of Watters. Hearst is really an afterthought in this equation. Tyler was solid but not exceptional. Why did you have to bring up Roger(Mr. Fumbles)Craig? It saddens my heart.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I'm gonna have to argue against the length of the "rule" by the' niners. They did have 4 SB wins in 10 years, (and ahem, the Redskins missed that mark because of the friggin Raiders) But I wont' give them the '90s. Those were, unfortunately, the years of the Cowboys...

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
But I wont' give them the '90s. Those were, unfortunately, the years of the Cowboys...

Agreed Gibbs. Seems there's a team that we can hate equally.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I never claimed that SF was the team of the 90's. All I meant was that they were consistently great for about 20 years. From 1981 to 2002 they had 19 winning seasons, 14 division titles, and 18 playoff appearances. They won five Super Bowls and made it to the NFC title game a total of eight times. By the end of the 1990's, Dallas was done (10-6 in 1998--lost to Arizona in the first round, and 8-8 in 1999). San Francisco, on the other hand, bounced back from Steve Young's retirement and back-to-back losing seasons to go 12-4 in 2001 and 10-6 in 2002.

In that 22 year span, SF led the NFC in total offense 13 times, including 11 straight from 1984-1994. But here is the fascinating stat: although they did lead the NFC in passing eight times, they led it in rushing five times (1987, 1988, 1998, 1999, and 2001). I do agree that in the West Coast offense, the pass sets up the run, but if either one is suffering, the whole scheme suffered. In 1988 Montana had an off year (for him), but Roger Craig picked up the slack with 1502 yards rushing.

The individual runners may not have been as good an Edgerring James, but the Niners' duos--like Tyler-Craig or Craig-Rathman--were superior.

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Thank you for putting Rathman in there, many wouldn't remember him but he was a helluva blocking back, his hands weren't the worst either.

Damn, is this Niners fan jacking this thread?

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Rathman was a great receiver who fit perfectly into the Niners' structure. In 1989 he had 73 receptions, second on the team to Rice. That team may have had the most dangerous offense of all time, with Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Craig, and Rathman. The Niners had great drafts for years--some would say lucky. Who would have thought that two guys from Nebraska--a notorious running team--would end up being such great receivers in the NFL?

new topics

top topics

join