It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Favre

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Some people say he sucks...

But I think he could be one of the greatest QB's ever.

Oppinions ?

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I agree with you, but I don't know anyone who doesn't.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Good god I am just glad to see some people that do agree with me because so many people I know think he is the worst ever.

He didnt do well this season because of his team.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Favre is great and definitely one of the best ever, but he is not THE best ever. Although he had a strong arm, he did not have the natural ability of Dan Marino. And though he could run a little in his younger days, he did not have the mobility of Steve Young. Above all, he was--and is--a gunslinger. He lived and sometime died by his style of play. In the last couple years that has finally caught up with him. Where once he could throw off his back foot into triple coverage and come out with the completion, now his body won't allow that. I really saw that last year, but it all seemed to start in the 2003 playoffs when he threw that terrible interception agains the Eagles.

On final thought about Favre. He should thank God every day for Desmond Howard, because without Howard the Packers would have lost Super Bowl XXXI. In this day and age where winning is even more important, that Super Bowl win pushes him into the top five in a lot of people's opinions.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Yeah you are right...I would put him in my top 10 greatest.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
From your intro, I remember your being 16 years old. That explains why some people you know thinking that he sucks. He has not had good seasons the last two years. But Favre's first season in GB was 1992 when you were either two or three years old. You didn't really get to see him in his prime. He won the NFL MVP award three straight seasons (1995-97)--a time when you were in elementary school.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Yeah my dad has told me that Favre was at his greatest point when I wasnt into football.

but I am afraid that not too many people understand how great of a QB he is. People nowadays only look at him as the " guy with the bad team from wisconsin "

Those people make me sick.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Thanks. I checked the ESPN website and read that Favre had committed to play in 2006. He has said that this will be his last year, which is the best way to go. The farewell tour is a graceful way to go out. He needs 290 completions and 25 TD passes to supplant Dan Marino in the top spot all time in each of those categories. He has no chance of breaking Marino's passing yardage record, though.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Well, G.F., my good pal, I cannot get the story up on my screen, but that is G R E A T news!!! The NFL will not seem the same after the day he retires. No, it won't be like the day Ruth or Cobb retired, but it will be BETTER than the day Mays retired (cuz he stayed way too long), and just about like the day Mantle retired.

I don't think Favre is as high up on the all-time FB player list as Mantle is on the all-time baseball player list, but I think he's had a fantastic career, deserved all three of those (unrivaled, right?) MVP Awards, and is a charming, admirable, courageous, honest, proud and--because he's tough as steel--GREAT leader by example.

How, exactly, is some half-hearted, lazy punk supposed to NOT get his @ss kicked by GB teammates when Favre does what he does at his age?

It will be a sad day when he quits--the passing (no pun intended) of an institution. I'm glad that day did not come today, and I'm so glad I've gotten to see so much of his career.

BHN

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Hey, BtB, you got your post up before I did mine. 25 TD's and 290 completions. Anyone got opinions about his odds of getting there on those two hurdles? That's what, a little over 18 completions per game, and just over 1.5 TD's per game? I think he'll do it, if they let him.

Anyone else got opinions on this?

BHN

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I think the odds of favre having two bad seasons is a long-shot. I think that with the Green Bay players knowing this is favre's for-sure last season, they may dedicate this season to him. Wouldn't a Super Bowl be great in his final season? If only I had the chance to go watch him. I lived in a small Wisconsin town, Monroe, in 3rd grade, but I was never interested in going to a game, I liked in on TV better.

BTW, Favre's merchendise is already much higher than that of Marino. If you saw the picture I have from my introduction post on page two of that forum, it cost me $260 for an autographed pic of his 200th consecutive start, along with a swatch of his jersey worn in that game, and numbered 61/104. Marino's, which was something similar, was just over $200. So I think Favre not only passed Marino on the QB greats, but in the merchendise also.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Unless he gets seriously injured--which has never happened in his career--Favre is basically a lock to break the completions record. Last year he had a career high 372 and in 2004 he had 346. Although he only had 20 TD passes last year, he has had 30 or more in eight of his seasons. Plus, last year the Packers had injuries to so many key players: both starting wide receivers and three running backs. He'll have better support this year, so I see him getting those 25 TD passes.

BHN, Favre was tied with Barry Sanders for the MVP in 1997. That was the year Sanders had 2053 yards at 6.1 yards a carry.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I hope Favre had one hell of a year, if a guy averaging 6.1 yards TIED for the MVP.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Favre was great that year, going 304-513 for 3867 yards, 35 TD and 16 INT. Personally, I think that Sanders should have been sole MVP that year. But Favre was on a team that went to the Super Bowl, while the Lions were 5-11.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:59 AM
link   
If Favre and his team were to make it to a SuperBowl this year.

I would be there.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I certainly think (and hope!) that Favre will have a better season this year tha last, and has a great shot at breaking both of the records mentioned above.

A trip to the Super Bowl, however, I think is a bit of a stretch, but not impossible. However, there are just too many better teams in the NFC (Carolina, Seattle, NY Giants, Washington, Philly, Dallas, Tampa)

join