It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: NFL Draft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
What are your opinions on the top prospects in the NFL draft, particularly Vince Young? Can he make it in the NFL? Also, do you think Reggie Bush can be an every-down running back? Or will he be more one of the guys who plays first and second down, but only the long third downs? He has some amazing speed, but in the NFL everyone is fast.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
OK...in my opinion I dont see Bush being an every down back for a team with a crap O line. Its probably the same concern as everyone else, but his size scares me. This doesnt mean he's destined to fail, but in college, he used to evade many tackles. In the pro's I think he will encounter much much more contact. But only time will tell. I'm not sold on Young. I agree he is a spectacular athlete, but what OTHER scrambling quaterback do we have in the nfl and HOW MUCH success has he enjoyed? Throwing power and accuracy are one thing at a scouting combine...they are a completely other thing with pads on and 11 defenders wanting to rip you apart. But as I said before, only time will tell. I just hope the raiders dont draft Young...they need DEFENSIVE HELP in a major way!

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I fear you are right about Bush. There have been a lot of backs like him in the NFL. Often they have a few good seasons, but then injury problems set in and they drop off the scene. Some examples are James Brooks and Robert Smith. Now I think Bush has more talent than they did, but his size is comparable. Who knows, though. He may surprise.

As for Young, I just don't see him being anything amazing in the NFL. I believe he will provide some spectacular moments, much like Michael Vick has, but I just don't see him being a great passer. The thing that really scares me is that he ran everything out of the shotgun at Texas. In the NFL he will have to take snaps under center, preventing him from getting the early read on the blitz. I could be wrong, though. Some people have compared him to Randall Cunningham, a quarterback who was a raw talent that developed into an excellent passer. He won an MVP in 1990, but then had a terrible injury the next season. He was an incredible passer and runner when healthy. Maybe Young, like Cunningham, will just need a few years to develop.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Vince Young- it will completely depend upon where he goes. In the right system, he could be tremendous. He's got an unorthodox throwing style and has a lot of wobble on the long ball, but he's got athleticism that you can't teach.

Yes he's operated out of the shotgun. (Steve McNair turned out ok). If he's in a west coast style offense where he can get outside, utilize his athleticism and pick apart a defense, he's got huge potential. He's definitely not the prototypical drop-back passer.

Now what we won't know until he plays in the NFL: QBs that have that great running ability have to be sharp enough to know when to use it. Sometimes (Vick for ex) a QB will pull it down and take off before a play has a chance to develop. Now a guy like Peyton Manning, he's going to stay in the pocket because he really doesn't have a viable option. So he'll attempt and make throws that other QBs won't even have the opportunity to see (and in some cases, couldn't make if they did see them). Can Young develop the kind of game where he's able to hang in there until a receiver clears? Or will he over rely on his running ability and take off prematurely when a gang of oversized speed demons are breathing down his neck? We'll see. I think his potential is huge, but a lot will depend on the system he's in and what he's called upon to do.

Bush is a freak a la Marshall Faulk, although I don't think he's in Faulk's class, at least yet. He's probably going to need to bulk up a bit and increase his strength to take the pounding he's going to get. He was sharing handoffs at USC with White, so we don't know about his durability. I'm not seeing him as an every down back, but again, in the right system, he'll be a difference maker.

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I wonder where Michael Robinson will wind up. He could make it in the NFL as a passer, if his team gives him a chance to develop. He is a student of the game, and reportedly spent hours in the film room preparing for games this past season. Mor ethan likely, though, he will wind up being put in as a running back or wideout.

top topics

join