It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: ESPN reports Carson Palmer's injuries are massive, maybe career-ending

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
ESPN.com is reporting, from statements made by the surgeon of Bengals QB Carson Palmer, that he suffered massive "shredding" injuries to his MCL, as well as major damage to his ACL. The injuries could be career-ending, though the surgeon says the operation went well and Palmer's spirits and "heart" (not used literally) are such that he could be ready for opening day next year, with a brace. The doctor said that the MCI was shredded, and that the knee injury (overall, I believe), on a scale of 1 to 3, was a "4."

Palmer has publicly stated he does not think the hit was a dirty one, nor does he think there was any intent to hurt him, much less do THIS to him. Having watched the game, and having seen the replay a trillion times, neither do I. But this is obviously a potential disaster for the Bengals', and for a player who looked to rival Brady and Manning with 2 or 3 more such seasons.

I've never particularly liked or disliked the Bengals, but just as a matter of human compassion, it's hard for me not to be disturbed by this story, and harder still not to hope like hell he recovers as soon--and as completely--as possible from what apparently was a horrendous injury.

B.H.N.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I had missed this one before...

I would expect that he'll be back. As a huge Penn State fan, I remember the debacle that was the career of Ki Jana Carter (ironically, also a #1 pick fo rthe Bengals) After tearing his ACL in preseason of his rookie year, he never regained the ability that he had in college.

But that was 1995. In the years since, there have been many athletes that have torn an ACL or MCL, and returned to have good careers, Garrison Hearst is the first name that comes to mind. Since the time of Carter's injury, technology has improved in the efficiency of reparing these torn ligaments.

All things considered, I would expect Carson back next season, maybe not at the start, but before week 17. And he will be fully recovered.

join