It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Swann to run for Govenor of Pa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
looks like Lynn Swann has decided to throw his helmet into the ring and make a run for the govenor of Pa...i have no idea of his politics other than he is a republican but he brings instant name recognition and i would assume he is still very popular in his home state...

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
He most likely will win because of Popularity.But you enver know what could happen.But i do want Ed Rendell out of the picture.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I'm not sure what will happen here, his name has been tossed around in the gubenatorial race for about a year. I'm not sold on Rendell, and not sure that I want to see him go, either. Also, Swanny will need to make it through the Republican nomination process, which may be difficult, Scranton is well known, too, and for political reasons, not football.

I still may vote for Swann though, but I typically don't vote in primaries, so I don't know if I'll even have a chance.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I have no idea who Ed Rendell is, nor what his political values are, and I might hate his guts if I did. But I'd vote for him blind over someone with zero political experience. It's high time voters rid themselves of the idea actors and sportsfigures should have political careers which start at the top, sans experience. It's a terrible idea, and always has been.

Mind you, I hated Ronald Reagan, but he was active in grass roots politics for some long time--initially as a Democrat, in fact--before he secured the 1966 Republican gubernatorial nomination (and election) at the age of 55 in California. He didn't just say, "I wanna be governor," like Laughable Arnold did. And now we have Swann--admittedly a more intelligent man--doing the same?

I know we've always had leaders who were very stupid men from very, very, very rich families. And to keep this neutral, I'm not just talking about you, Dubya. I'm also talking you, Teddy "Dipsomaniac" Kennedy, who has just as much trouble constructing complete, coherent sentences as Dubya does, but somehow never gets slammed for it like Dubya does. But at least those people have grown up with politics in their blood, and like it or not, we're never going to have an I.Q. test for political office.

I do think voters should recoginze a sort of implied experience requirement for political office. Swann hasn't got it, and he wants to start out VERY BIG. Screw that. I'll take this Ed Rendell, whoever he is, or any other properly qualified, experienced candidate, over Swann. As one who is suffering through Arnold, I can tell you we don't need any more famous people who decided it would be fun to be a figurehead politician.

B.H.N.

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I haven't heard lately, but I do recall a while back that Scranton was leading the race for the Republican nod, he comes from political blood...

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Yeah, he sure does. I remember when another Scranton ran for Prez every four years, after having had a long and distinguished state political career out there.

B.H.N.

posted on Apr, 30 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Udate on this, the race is now between Swann and current Govenor Ed Rendell, who was formerly th eMayor of Philadelphia, and still does the Eagles post game shows on Comcast.

top topics

join