It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: NFL Trivia thread.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
In my pro career I've passed for more yards than Dan Marino. Who am I?

Lay off Google guys.

Edit: Good idea Gibbs.

[Edited on 11/18/05 by truenorth]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
That's easy, Warren Moon.

About 1/3 of those yards came in the CFL, if I remember correctly.

Maybe we could make this a trivia thread, like the baseball one...

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I've felt for a long time that Moon is perhaps the most underrated player in modern NFL history. He was a fantastic CFL quarterback and had his best years in Canada. Then, with his athletic prime behind him, he proceeded to have one of the best NFL QB careers ever. When you put the two together, there are very few, if any, NFL QB's ever who should be considered Moon's superior.

I admit that's as specific as I'm qualified to be. I can't get into a real detailed, specific comparison like I could, for example, with: Josh Gibson, Roy Campanella, Johnny Bench, Yogi Berra, Mickey Cochrane, Mike Piazza and Carlton Fisk. (My choices for the 7 greatest catchers in baseball history, though the exact order after Gibson at #1 is a bear; my next 4 are the next 4 listed above.) Give me a day, and I'll come up with an intelligent--though not necessarily "correct"--order in which to rate those 7 great catchers. I may change my mind about Bench v. Berra, or Cochrane v. Piazza, or Piazza v. Fisk.

I cannot do the same with Baugh, Graham, Unitas, Fauts, Montana, Marino, Elway, Moon, Favre and Manning... or whoever the 10 greatest QB's of all time are at this point, while we await another 2 or 3 years from Brady and a few other current greats. But here is a suggestion:

WHY DON'T THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE OLD ENOUGH, AND SUFFICIENTLY QUALIFIED, rate whichever 10 guys you decide are the all-time top NFL QB's, in order from #10 up to #1? Any of this site's top football experts up for it? Many of us would love to see it.

Just off the top of my head, as someone who paid NO attention to football until 1976 and cannot intelligently rate immortals like Baugh, Graham or even Unitas, here are the top 10 I've seen:

10. Dan Fouts (until Brady gets here, and it won't be long)

9. Terry Bradshaw

8. Peyton Manning (so far; obviously gonna get much higher)

7. Roger Staubach (probably higher if I'd seen more)

6. Warren Moon (based solely on what I saw in the NFL)

5. Steve Young (greatest rating ever, and a MUCH better regular
season QB than Montana, but not in playoffs)

4. Brett Favre (way too many INT's, or I'd have him #1)

3. Dan Marino (FB's Hank Aaron--unbelievable cumulative stats)

2. Joe Montana

1. John Elway (I'm not penalizing him for Reeves' idiocy)

OK, y'all, have a blast with me. I'm sure a hurricane of stats can be rained down on my choices, and the order in which I've arranged them, to make them look preposterous. And I'm sure that if NFL players and coaches selected a 20-person panel of the greatest living experts to make this list based on QB's since 1976, it would look nothing like mine and critics would skewer me and my list as idiotic.

BUT....

I know this much: A QB's greatness cannot be measured in pure stats. Same goes for a pitcher, except that in Lefty Grove, Roger Clemens and the still-gotta-long-way-to-go Pedro Martinez, we have three guys whose stats are so outrageously, enormously far ahead of the others that the stats are pretty overwhelming proof. (Sorry, Walter Johnson, but you are one seriously overrated dude, and I'd love the chance to explain why to Bill James.)

I saw the second half of Bradshaw's career, the last 1/4 of Staubach's, almost all of Fouts', and all of the NFL portion of Moon's. I saw enough of these guys to have plenty of spectating experience on which to base my opinions, and I do pay attention to football stats, though nothing like baseball stats.

But with that said, I simply don't see football with the kind of critical expertise that I do baseball, and I know it. I have read countless football posts here, and it's obvious some of y'all DO have what genuinely could be called football expertise. I don't know if y'all are professional sports journalists, or retired pro football players, or just real well-educated couch potatoes who've followed the game and studied its history your whole lives--i.e., football equivalents of me in baseball.

But for whatever reason, I know that some of YOU know a hell of a lot more about football than I ever will. It's obvious from watching you compare inside linebackers or right offensive guards or defensive styles in your posts. So I'm asking you, for purposes of my education....

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO THINK OUT, AND THEN LIST, YOUR TOP TEN N.F.L. QB'S OF ALL TIME, FROM #10 UP TO #1. PLEASE DO NOT CONSIDER COLLEGE, C.F.L. OR U.S.F.L. FEATS IN THE PROCESS. PLEASE ONLY COUNT QB'S WHOSE CAREERS YOU HAVE WITNESSED SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF, AND NOT JUST LEGENDS YOU'VE HEARD ABOUT. WHEN POSSIBLE, PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR RATINGS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING REALLY IDIOSYNCRATIC--LIKE BILL JAMES' RATING OF CRAIG BIGGIO AS THE (approx.) 33RD GREATEST BASEBALL PLAYER OF ALL TIME (true story).

I'm don't just come to this site to spout off my baseball knowledge. PLENTY of other guys here, most notably Hooter, have every bit my knowledge of baseball and its history, and I don't go to website to impress people I'll never meet, anyway. I really like this chance to learn about football from people who know vastly more than I do about it. That description plainly applies to MANY of you, and I'd like you to enlighten me.

B.H.N.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
just a reminder that Warren Moon played his college ball at the University of Washington...in 1978 he led the huskies to a rose bowl victory over the University of Michigan......i heard a rumor that they are still playing football down at UW....

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
That's easy, Warren Moon.

About 1/3 of those yards came in the CFL, if I remember correctly.

Jeez, I thought it was harder than that.

Yup and 5 consecutive Grey Cups. 5 championships in a row is impresive in any pro sport.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
what 7 NFL teams do not have cheerleaders....

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Warren Moon also played in Edmonton. If you thought Green Bay was cold you should go to Edmonton. Canadians don't even like going there in the winter.

As for the seven NFL teams without cheerleaders, what are they thinking? I don't know the answer but thought you'd like to know I was pretty shocked by that statement alone. I'm certainly interested in finding out which teams they are.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I'll make an attempt at answering tj's question, but I would like to know where he recieved this information, and how we can convince these teams to get with the times....

I'd say it's probably Arizona, Green Bay, Da Bears, Jets, Browns, Cheifs and Bills. But that is just an educated guess, i probably have a couple wrong in that list.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The teams have to involve coldness and christianity. Nothing stops scantily clad women better than that. On this continent anyway.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
gibbs got several of them, he got the jets, bears, browns, packers, 4 down, 3 to go.....

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
gibbs got several of them, he got the jets, bears, browns, packers, 4 down, 3 to go.....

OK, attempt #2...

Include the Lions, Chargers, and Steelers

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
got the steelers and lions that time, 1 more to get

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Lions, Jets, Bears, Giants, Steelers, Browns, Green Bay.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   
got them all....good job

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
who won the NFL title on the field in 1925?

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
No guesses?

Here's a couple of hints.

The team's city is the home of America's oldest brewery.

The NFL took the title away from this team, and gave it to another team due to a technicality.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
i had to look this one up so i cheated a bit

the Pottsville Maroons had the championship taken away from them for playing an unauthorized game, the title was given to the Chicago Cardinals....

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
i had to look this one up so i cheated a bit

the Pottsville Maroons had the championship taken away from them for playing an unauthorized game, the title was given to the Chicago Cardinals....

...who have never won a playoff game since...

Good snooping tj! That was a toughie, and I doubt that any of the locals in Pottsville would have found that, without the Maroons being mentioned. They have a bar in town, called Maroons, I need to check it out some time.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
i was quite young at the time but after doing the research i think i recall the incident

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
What was the first NFL team to buy a player from another team?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join