It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Jerry Rice retires.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Being a die hard Niner fan for almost 30 years,today is a very sad day.

I remember the day they drafted Jerry.I remember his first playoff game vs.the Giants,he caught a long bomb from Joe,nobody was around him,and looked like a for sure TD..and Jerry fumbled.Well on that day,the Niners lost by 40 points.I thought "This is the guy that Walsh said is the future?"

Well,looks like Walsh was right.

Its sad to see the last part of the glory days leave the NFL.(Bryant Young is the only active player with a ring from the Niners now)I sure feel old today.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I'm glad I lived in the era of Jerry Rice, and saw some of the great things he did.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I've never been a real 49er fan, but I love Jerry Rice, everything about him was great... In my opinion he is the greatest player ever to play the game, but that could be due to my love of recievers.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Ming found Rice to be a self-centered egotist. A great and gifted athlete who stayed around way too long. Contrast his exit with some other noteworthy players who had the courage and self-confidence to leave at or near the peak of their skills and you will see that he tarnished his legacy.

Even if you justify his not stepping down at the end of last season or in the off season, how about retiring at the start of the pre-season or early into it so that a space could be made for another wide receiver who ahd been fighting for a job. His last minute exit was a disserive to his team and teammates and the organization.

Sorry all of you Rice apologists - his early greatness is diminished by his late selfishness.

Thus sprach Ming.

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
In a strange turn of events, I agree win the Mingster. I was always a Rice fan, but his tantrum when his consecutive games streak was broken made me lose a lot of respect for the man. Take away the past couple seasons, though, and I say put him in the hall of fame now.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Ming is glad to see you coming around, grasshopper, er Ming means Gibbsy.

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Rice= best reciever ever..He can get away with complaining now and then.This man is a warrior,he has earned the right to at least try to make it on another team.

Am I biased?Damn right I am..

Niner for LIFE!!

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
OH, I give Rice his due, he was arguably the best player ever, and has an amazing work ethic. But, his tantrum made me lose much respect...

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
his body fat is so low he has to eat ice cream every night

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
best wide reciever ever without a doubt he shattered records

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I've been avoiding this thread until I could come up with how I feel about it.

Thank you Jerry.

new topics

top topics

join