It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mac vs. PC

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2002 @ 05:02 PM
link   
If you're talkin sheer volumes of software, yes, the PC platform has it made. However, not all of it is good... and there's nothing I need that I haven't found for the Mac.

Now... let's get one thing straight people, the Mac is not for games... it's for actually doing things with your computer (like making cool avatars).

posted on Nov, 16 2002 @ 04:04 PM
link   
power: linux

stability: linux

games: there are linux ports available for most games; www.transgaming.com, www.lokigames.com, and UT2K3 comes with a linux port out of the box so im happy

software: hehe, linux! its all free man! (well most of it... as I use debian... in redhat i know it isn't, so this is a call to all RedHat users to switch to Debian to STOP the commercialization of linux happening there)

software quality: there are some excellent software options on windows, but there are packages basically equivalent to them in linux, and there is definitely a much wider range, you can find packages for basically anything, and they are free, and opensource... lets call it a draw...

security: LINUX! big time! actually its a little difficult to set some of this stuff up (in debian distro at least) but once you're there you love it!

emphasis on power: linux

control over your system and its inner most workings to squeeze maximum performance out of your box: linux

customizability: linux (a lot of people probably disagree.... they just havn't seen some of the better window managers out there)

ease of totally destroying everything manually (eg a newbie as root): linux

ease of destroying everything automatically: windows

lack of power: windows

lack of stability: windows

ease of use: id have to give it to windows...

disgusting factor: windows (10/10)

GUI: initially windows....

hardware compatability: probably windows... but you can get most things working fine on linux...

speed: linux

reliability: linux

server use standard: linux

dont ever dream of using it on a server: windows

behaves like a virus: windows

tends to come with sh*t you REALLY dont want ( eg FINDFAST back around the day of win 98 ): windows

expandability: linux all the way

well they are my ideas on this debate
while im at it id like to make a mention that Mac OS X is good, as it is a un*x based os, but version of Mac OS preceeding it are not so good..

posted on Nov, 16 2002 @ 04:06 PM
link   
oh, and btw, TheBandit795, is that Edgar Davids playing for the dutch international team in your avatar ?

posted on Nov, 16 2002 @ 04:46 PM
link   
the main problems i see with macs are that there more expensive than PC's and are not upgradeable. Yes they may be alittle more relieble for work but with PC's the things that normally make em crash is the software not the OS. I just dont like the fact if ur machine gets old u just cant buy a new procesor and and install it.

posted on Nov, 16 2002 @ 04:58 PM
link   
QS...

Yes, but a BMW is also more expensive than a Chevy.

For about 5% of computer buyers, the total package is most important, they buy the better design and tighter integration of OS-to-hardware of the Mac. The results are improved reliability, esthetics, and resale value.... yes, resale.

Most Mac users considering an "upgrade" sell their old machines. My formerly top-end iBook is selling for $850 on e-bay right now. If I sold it, it would only cost me an additional $300 for the new high-end iBook with a faster bus, faster processor, larger hard drive, and doubled Vram. Not a bad proposition... most long-time Mac users take this path for upgrades.

It's hard to convince PC users who rarel try a Mac. Everything is different, and they're not used to some of the alternate ways of doing things, so they say "Mac's suck" without ever really understanding the larger picture.

posted on Nov, 16 2002 @ 05:01 PM
link   
ive tried a mac it wasnt that bad if PC werent her id probly have a mac. hmm constant battle over the ages wonder who will win in the end???????

posted on Nov, 16 2002 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Computer users win... because we have a choice.

posted on Nov, 16 2002 @ 08:09 PM
link   
hmm my view has changed in the past couple hours i am now looking in to buying a mac ibook hmm odd isnt it

posted on Nov, 17 2002 @ 01:40 AM
link   
well my spouse really like the way the ibook looks - so, I might just wind up w/ one. ( I don't have the balls to bring home anything that runs $1500 w/ out some healthy 'talk' - lol). It's a myth that MACs can't be upgraded. I'd say you're typical Compaq Presario is less upgradeable. Anon - I download every new release of Redhat, the ISO's to be exact, as soon as I can find an available mirror - and for free. Having Linux complemented by IBM and others companies won't hurt the spirit of Linux and will bring it further into the marketplace as a viable alternative Windows. I think Redhat is spreading the 'good news' more so than any other Linux vendor. I 'dream' of not having to use Windows as a server - though I do, several of them. I worked in one of the very first SAP production enviroments which ran on Windows NT and SQL server. The same skill required to run a healthy Windows enviroment is just the same as running as good Unix network. You couldn't be more right w/ FASTFIND - WTF were they thinking ?????

posted on Nov, 19 2002 @ 12:49 AM
link   
what i actually mean is the packages for download (rpms in red hat...) i heard from a friend who has been a serious linux devotee for a _long_ time now ( and a recent debian convert ) you have to pay to download them from the standard servers after a while...

posted on Nov, 19 2002 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I like to open my PC tower. Place new cards, removing olds ones.

With a MAC, you cannot open it.You cannot remove parts yourself.

posted on Nov, 19 2002 @ 07:00 AM
link   
UP...

I'm not sure where you heard that nonsense. The Mac G4 towers have constently been rated as the easiest to work on and upgrade. The entire side of the machine swings open, after pulling on one latch, for easy access to all parts.

posted on Nov, 19 2002 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I don't go with Macs because so many of the packages I use are PC-only, and I need the compatability with work machines.

Since I'm the type to keep 8 to 10 windows open at a time, this just invites trouble in a Mac OS (not 8-10 windows, but running 8-15 PC based programs. After awhile, the emulators get the interrupts tromped on.)

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Like Up i wanna put in new cards and tweek that is what i like about PC's. I can pop open the lip ad a new video card or add a cd drive and i havent seen any MACS that can do stuff like that please inform me if a Mac could tlake sometin like Gforce for video card. Also i dont want to rebuy all of my software. I want the mac for school there terrific for stuff like that but i cant run the games and stuff i have now on it and live got alot i play on my PC that id miss alot. Final thing is i could have a PC for 10 years and it could still be a good one from all the upgrades mac like TH said they sell theres for a resonable price but there sstill slower than a PC.

posted on Nov, 24 2002 @ 01:20 PM
link   
i have a 700Mhz ibook and it runs faster then my 900Mhz compaq. almost all parts of macs are the same as in PCs. the one majar diffrence is how they use their prcesser cycles.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Software: PC over MAC
Hardware: MAC over PC
Ease of Use: MAC over PC
Upgrading: PC over MAC

nuff said...

What?

With the new Intel-based iMac, a whole new window of programs can run on a Mac. Plus, there's CrossOver, which lets Windows programs run natively over any Intel-based iMac with OS X 10.3.9 and up.

I agree that changing hardware can be difficult, but only if you care about your warranty. If not, to hell with the warranty and open it. But if you have an Mac Pro, you can take the whole side of it off and work with it.

Ease of use, I agree with you.

But upgrading?

There are iMacs (the old, bubbly back ones that came in all sorts of colors) running Mac OS X, because, unlike XP and Vista, you don't need massively powerful hardware to run the OS.

When I get a Software Update Alert from Apple, All I have to do is download it, restart (sometimes, not even, just reopen the program to run the latest version), and viola! It runs!

THR

[edit on 3/22/2007 by TheRanchMan]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join