It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Jets Manhatten stadium approved!

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   

The New York Jets' plan for a $1.7 billion Manhattan stadium that could also serve as the centerpiece of the 2012 Olympics cleared a major hurdle Thursday when its bid was approved by the state agency that owns the proposed site. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority board voted unanimously in favor of the football team's $720 million offer for rights to develop the site over a remote railyard adjoining the Hudson River. The board rejected two competing proposals.

LINK

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I would think that there are still some hurdles to be jumped, but this was most likely the largest. I think it will be a great move for the city, and it is always a good thing to have stadiums going up within cities, rather than in the outskirts. Plus, it helps NYC's bid for the Olympics.

related threads

Throngs turn out for and against proposed stadium

Proposed bowl game

Call for environmental study

Big Apple Bowl possibility for new stadium

Remove the Olympic bid?

[Edited on 6/7/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

Ben

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Im really excited for this right now, i really was hoping that the approval for the stadium in manhatten would be approved, now it has. It means that NYC will actually get its team back, and it will mean thousands of new yorkers can goto the west side to see it, its a very exciting time.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I'm actually really... eh on the issue. I mean... I know it could be great. Like really great. Olympics, Bowl games, just that general atmosphere... completely awesome. I would personally be thrilled to be able to see a football game in person. And I mean... it could end up just one of those things that we will just get used to... But its just... in the city, well, in Manhattan, where it's already SO crowded and so busy... the traffic and congestion can be horrible. And I dont think many people can refute the idea that with a stadium, that sort of thing will get worse. I mean, especially because... think of the mass exodus after any sporting event. Add that to already busy traffic and you get a logjam. And... while I love football and sports quite generally... New York isnt really a sports city. Like I mean, there are lots of people who follow, and lots of people who love their team. But the general feel isnt usually that everyone will get swept up in whats going on (as opposed to the Red Sox in Boston). I also feel like its a particularly tough town to play in, ever more so if you're actually in Manhattan, it seems. I dont know... I guess... we'll see.

ETA... i think officially they're the New York/New Jersey Jets and the New York/New Jersey Giants. Although theyre both commonly called New York teams (New York Giants, New York Jets)

[Edited on 4/1/05 by wnyc5]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The saga continues -

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Joe Namath, the New York Jets' most famous alum, urged lawmakers Monday to build a new stadium in Manhattan for his former team.

But key figures, including State Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno, have yet to support the proposal. The Public Authorities Control Board is to vote on the matter May 18.

Assembly members, labor unions and other stadium supporters rallied outside the Capitol on Monday. Bruno, who met with Namath on Monday, still hasn't made a decision, said his spokesman, Mark Hansen.

Opponents of the stadium include the owners of Madison Square Garden. They have filed a lawsuit seeking to void the Jets' successful bid for the right to build on the site of the West Side rail yards from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

source

ESPN

As I've said before, this would be a great concept, it is always good to have the stadium within the city that the team is from, so that the local fans can easily get to the games. Pittsburgh is a prime example. And with the public transportation system in NYC, it should cut down on traffic to and from the games.

top topics

join