It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Garcia joins Lions to backup Harrington

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
After deliberating over several options, veteran quarterback Jeff Garcia has opted to join the Detroit Lions as a backup to starter Joey Harrington.

The two sides reached a contract agreement in principle Saturday afternoon, as Garcia bypassed job opportunities with the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks. Contract details were not immediately available.

The decision reunites Garcia with Lions coach Steve Mariucci. Under Mariucci in San Francisco, Garcia enjoyed his most successful stretch. The Lions will be Garcia's third team in three years, but that is more a function of circumstance than a commentary on his abilities.

Garcia, 35, was released by the Cleveland Browns two weeks ago after playing one season of a four-year, $25 million contract, and following a 2004 campaign that clearly was a miserable experience for both sides.

sports.espn.go.com...

At least Garcia is familiar with the system, he played for "Mooch" in San Fran and provides a more than adequate backup for Joey Harrington in case he gets hurt or plays poorly. I cant believe Cleveland settled on Trent Dilfer, they're going to have a long year.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I hope Mooch doesn't decide to hold Harrington on a sort lease because Garcia's in the background. I have a ton of faith in Joey, he just needs some good targets for an entire year, I think this will be his breakout season. That is, as long as he is given a chance, and doesn't have to continue looking over his shoulder all season long...

new topics

join