It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Redskins and Jets trade wide receivers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
After more than a week of discussions, hours of deliberation, high anxiety and low comedy, the much-anticipated trade of disgruntled wide receivers from the Washington Redskins and New York Jets has been agreed upon.

Redskins wide receiver Laveranues Coles will return to the Jets, the team with which he started his NFL career. The Redskins will receive Santana Moss, a former first-round draft pick.

The deal is pending physicals exams for both players, which ESPN.com has learned will take place Monday.

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Seems a fair trade, I'm happy. I hope that the 'skins pick up another top-notch reciever, though. I'm a bit concerned that they will be looking for Moss to pick up all the slack from Gardner and Coles, he'll need help from someone else.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I dont think either one of them had very good seasons last year compared to the production that they've had in the past.

Is Gardner still in DC?

TRD

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Moss was disappointing last season so lets hope he gets better..

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Moss was disappointing last season so lets hope he gets better..

He sure was, and I dont think Coles was much better. They should both improve over last year's numbers for their respective teams. Moss likes the deep ball and it didn't seem like Pennington could get the ball downfield last season.

TRD

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I thought Coles did ok last season, he caught 90 passes for 950 yards. It was the third most receptions total ever by a Redskin and he was the most productive offensive weapon for us last season.

But saying that he does get alot of incompletions and doesn't pick up huge yardage. Thats where Moss is different, he is a deep threat as you say PA. He offers alot more than Coles and it will open up the other positions as he will most likely get double coverage in alot of the games. He averaged about 18 yrds per catch last season which is dammk good and has a career average of around 16 yrds per catch. Also he was carrying that hamstring injury for most of the season so it could turn out to be a really good trade.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Moss's penchent for the big play will fit better in the Joe Gibbs system. Coles? He was about the only offensive weapon the Redskins had last season, and don't forget, Gibbs spent half of the season on the "Mark Brunell experiment"...

I'm not sure if Gardner is still with the Redskins yet or not, but he definately won't bewhen the season hits.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
I thought Coles did ok last season, he caught 90 passes for 950 yards. It was the third most receptions total ever by a Redskin and he was the most productive offensive weapon for us last season.

I didnt realize he had 90 catches, thats not a bad number. He put those numbers up pretty quietly. I think the telling stat though is the just one touchdown, getting in the end zone is more important than catching 8 balls a game. I agree that Moss should do better under Gibbs but that remains to be seen. At least Coles has played for the Jets, shouldn't be hard for him to pick up the offense.

Ben

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I think trading moss was teh wrong move. Moss is young and is going to be huge soon enough. Trading him away was pretty stupid

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
I think trading moss was teh wrong move. Moss is young and is going to be huge soon enough. Trading him away was pretty stupid

So you think Moss is better than Coles?

I would agree with that, although Coles is coming off the better season.

Who's going to be the QB of the week in Washington this year?

[Edited on 3-6-2005 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Coles
He had 90 catches for 950 yards for a career-low 10.6 yards a catch and only one touchdown in the Redskins' 6-10 season. The year before, under pass-oriented coach Steve Spurrier, Coles had 82 receptions for 1,204 yards and six touchdowns.

The 5-foot-11, 193-pound Coles emerged as a top receiver with the Jets in 2002, quickly becoming a favorite target of Chad Pennington. He had 89 catches for 1,264 yards and six touchdowns, and commanded big money on the open market.

Moss
As for the 5-10, 185-pound Moss, the game-breaking receiver had a big year in 2003, with 74 catches for 1,105 yards and 10 touchdowns. But his productivity slipped in 2004, when he had 45 catches for 838 yards and five touchdowns while battling through a sore hamstring.

The Redskins showed interest in Moss during the 2001 draft, but chose Rod Gardner with the 15th selection instead. Moss went to the Jets with the next pick. He won't get the chance to play with Gardner, who was granted a request to seek a trade in January.

cbs.sportsline.com...

Ben

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Moss just has better potential than Coles all together. Coles had a big season in 2002! and now its 2005 season coming up, and he has just been average. Moss was spurned by injuries all season long, and will end up probably having a big season next year.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Who is slated as the starting QB for the 'Skins this year?

Patrick Ramsey?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
If Patrick is slated to start, the skins are going to be hurting.

Coles will have a bigger season because of chad, but moss is a bit smaller than coles, but the speed of moss makes up for that. I woulda kept moss over coles myself

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
My namesake has stated that Ramsey will be the starter this season. He may not be the best QB in the league, but he is more than adequate, and better than the average QB out there. Ramsey can get the job done, and IMHO if he would have been the starter all of last season, then the Redskins would have made the playoffs, not goign deep there, but htey would have been there in a weak year for the NFC.

And with Gibbs at the helm, you won't have the QB issues that there were under Spurrier.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I'll give you average, but I dont think Ramsey is much better than that. He's been in the league a few years now and hasn't really done much. I do have to say the offensive line hasn't been very good recently in Washington, I cant tell you how many times I've seen them scrape Ramsey up off the turf. Maybe his second year with Gibbs will help him, have they addressed the o-line issues in the off-season?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Santana Moss passed his physical with the Washington Redskins and is expected to introduced at a news conference Wednesday once the trade for Laveranues Coles becomes official.

Team officials said the wide receiver Moss passed his physical Monday night, but Coles isn't due to report to the New York Jets for his exam until Wednesday morning.

The physicals are the final necessity to complete the Coles-for-Moss trade, a swap of two receivers who were unhappy with their respective teams' conservative offenses last year. The teams agreed on the deal Saturday morning.

The trade comes with a huge price tag for the Redskins, who have to pay Coles the final $5 million of a $13 million signing bonus. Coles will count $9.3 million against Washington's salary cap this season, virtually eliminating any major acquisitions for the rest of free agency.

www.sportsline.com...

So Coles' contract is really screwing up Gibbs off-season hunt.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Laveranues Coles got down to business once he rejoined the New York Jets on Wednesday night. He gave Chad Pennington a big hug.

Coles was happy to be back with his old teammate after passing a physical that finally completed his trade from Washington. The Redskins got speedy wideout Santana Moss in return, a swap of receivers who were unhappy with their respective teams' conservative offenses last year.

The deal was agreed on Saturday, but Coles and Moss needed to pass physicals to make the trade official. Moss passed his Monday night.

Coles and Pennington had great chemistry in 2002, when the receiver had 89 catches for 1,264 yards and six touchdowns. But Coles bolted for Washington following that season, when the Redskins offered a lucrative contract the Jets refused to match.

After leaving the team, Coles was critical of coach Herman Edwards and Jets management for letting him go. Coles has apologized for his remarks, saying he has matured. But he was soon unhappy with his role in Joe Gibbs' offense, after catching 90 passes for 950 yards last season, and asked for the trade.

www.sportsline.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
To let you in on how some fans feel about coles, here's an excerpt from an email a season ticket holder friend sent me -

(Coles) Basically said,"hey I know that in his first NFL run
Joe Gibbs capped 33.3% of his seasons coaching with a
Super Bowl appearance, and 25% of those appearances
with a win...using his style of offense, and in 1991
had THREE 100 yard receivers ON THE SAME TEAM WHILE
USING THAT POWER RUN BASED OFFENSE, but I just don't
feel I am getting enough long, deep, thrilling
highlight reel catches right now, so...f**k you, f**k
Gibbs, f**k the Redskins, and f**k the fans if you're
not willing to change the WHOLE OFFENSE to suit
ME----LAV COLES!!!!

What a turd, I can't wait until his toe goes on