It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Ravens finally get WR - Derrick Mason

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The first major signing of the NFL free agency season has Derrick Mason going to Baltimore. For the Ravens, the deal lands them the big-play wide receiver they'd been searching for since losing out on Terrell Owens last year.

Derrick Mason has agreed in principle to a five-year deal with the Baltimore Ravens, giving the team one of the most desirable receivers on the free-agent market and filling the most glaring need of a team that ranked 31st in passing last season.

LINK

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Good pickup for the Ravens, but they will still need some help.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
That is a HUGE pickup for the Ravens. I think he is a great receiver, even a bit underrated. They have an awesome defense and although Boller isn't lighting it up at least they'll have a player that the defense will have to focus on, freeing things up for Boller. Dont forget big Jamal coming out of the backfield, you have to respect the run when playing the Ravens.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Well, I don't think he's as good as you do. If I get him next year in the fantasy league, I'll hold out for more from you though

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Well, I don't think he's as good as you do.

I think his numbers speak for themselves..........

2004 - 96 catches, 1168 yards, and 7 TD's

2003 - 95, 1303, 8

2002 - 79, 1012, 5

2001 - 73, 1128, 9

Granted Kyle Boller isn't Steve McNair, but Mason should continue to put up above average numbers.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Oh, doubtless he's a good receiver, but not one of the top tier guys, he's on the rung just below them.

I don't mean to diss him, but it's not like he's a Moss, Owens, Holt, Harrison, or Walker. He's not gonna immediately make the team a Super bowl contendor.

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I see what you're saying, and I agree he's a tier below the few elite. I just mean I think he'll be a big impact for the Ravens because the WR position was certainly one of their weaknesses. They have an awesome defense, an above average o-line, and one of the best RB's in football. If Boller can continue to improve, I think he showed a little something last year, then I think Baltimore could make some noise in 2005.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Yeah, they were one of the bigger dissappointments from last season, so he should help them improve. I'm not totally sold on Boller, though, and I wonder if Jamaal will continue to be good.

TRD

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Jamal will be back with a bang next season... That court case messed him up...

Gibbs what you chatting about? Mason will be huge for the Ravens..

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I don't know, I'm just not sold on the guy like the rest of you. Let him prove me wrong this fall.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
They asked him about what we were discussing....

"Am I Randy? No. Am I Terrell? No. I'm Derrick, and the things I do out there on the field are very productive," Mason said Friday at the team's training complex a day after signing his five-year, $20 million contract that included $11 million in guaranteed money. "I think I can be put right along with those guys. Am I those guys? No.

"I'm just here to do the things I've been able to do the last six, seven years, make life hopefully a lot easier for the quarterback and everyone else on the offense."

ravens.scout.com...

TRD

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Thats why he will do a great job for them, he is a team player. Not a prima donna who is just playing for himself or the money...

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
He does seem like a pretty unselfish player. It seems like he just wants to win.

I'm not sold on Boller either, by any means. It cant hurt though for him to have a receiver like Mason who will be able to pull in some of his weaker throws.

TRD

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
It cant hurt though for him to have a receiver like Mason who will be able to pull in some of his weaker throws.

Exactly, he will get in more space and offer a big target to Boller. Much better than the wide recievers did for him last season. And with Todd Heap and how well he has done catching the ball. Other teams will have alot more to think about now when they play them.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
How did I forget about Todd Heap?

With Heap and Mason and Jamal Lewis coming out of the backfield, all Boller has to do is not turn the ball over and they might have a chance. You know that defense is going to get the ball for them often and usually in pretty good field position.

TRD

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Yeah and hopefully heap will be fit for the upcomming season as he missed most of the last due to injury. Maybe thats why you forgot about him PA..

If they get a breakout from a rookie or sign another decent WR then they will be looking in great shape. Was it Clarence Moore they played as a WR last season? I think thats his name, he didn't look too bad in some of the games..

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
The Ravens released WR Kevin Johnson. Travis Taylor is an unrestricted free agent and Randy Hymes is a restricted free agent. Clarence Moore is still on the roster and showed some signs at times last season.

Taylor has been visiting with the Vikings.

Jamal Lewis is in prison right now, he started a four-month prison sentence on February 4.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Maybe boller wasnt lighting it up because he didnt have that big time WR, one WR a stunning TE and a great back = disaster for opposing teams

new topics

top topics

join