It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: romanowski civil trial may lead back to balco

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Civil trial may link Balco, NFL

By Elliott Almond, Mercury News

A $3.8 million civil suit against former Raider Bill Romanowski begins with jury selection Thursday in Alameda County Court, with the promise of exploring the often-brutal world of the NFL -- including steroid use.

While baseball reels from Jose Canseco's new tell-all book about steroids, Romanowski's trial in Oakland could add to the growing fervor over drugs and sports.

The case is sure to involve Balco Laboratories because of Romanowski's long association with Victor Conte Jr., the chief co-defendant in the criminal case.

Former Raiders tight end Marcus Williams says his career ended because of brain damage suffered when Romanowski hit him on the practice field in August 2003. The defense says the status of Williams' career has nothing to do with the incident.

Williams' lawyer plans to say Romanowski was experiencing " 'roid rage" when he punched Williams after a routine play, according to court records.

To make its case, Williams' legal team has turned to Balco. Lawyers for Balco defendants James Valente and Remi Korchemny said Tuesday that their clients were subpoenaed by the plaintiff to testify.

Troy Ellerman, Valente's lawyer, said the Balco vice president would decline to answer questions. "I don't think Jim has anything to add to that case anyway," he said.

Korchemny's lawyer, George Walker, said the track coach would not answer questions because of the ongoing criminal case.

The defense won a motion to stop a subpoena for Conte.

In 2003, Romanowski testified before a grand jury investigating Balco and was one of four Raiders to test positive for the designer steroid THG, the drug at the center of the Balco scandal.

According to a memorandum prepared by Internal Revenue Service investigator Jeff Novitzky, Valente told authorities that Romanowski received steroids and the human growth hormone from Balco when the linebacker played for the Denver Broncos. Valente's lawyers have disputed parts of the memorandum.

Romanowski, 38, was a member of the Broncos from 1996 to 2001 before signing with the Raiders. He began his career with the 49ers.

The Raiders and NFL also received subpoenas seeking information showing Romanowski used drugs, court records say. Romanowski denied using steroids during the week before the incident, his pre-trial testimony says.

According to court papers, Williams' lawyers will argue that Romanowski -- a workout and nutrition fanatic -- used steroids, which led to the fight Aug. 24. Don Catlin, director of the UCLA Olympic Analytical Laboratory, gave expert testimony in December on the psychological effects of steroids.

The lawyers also plan to explore Romanowski's history of altercations, including those with 49ers teammate Bubba Paris in 1989, Arizona Cardinals running back Larry Centers in 1995 and Kansas City Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez in 1999.

Romanowski retired from the NFL last year.

Williams, a former Berkeley High and Washington State player, said a blow by Romanowski caused a brain injury. The defense disputes the claim and characterizes the fight as "a mutual altercation."

James Brosnahan, Williams' lawyer, declined to discuss the case. He also declined to make Williams available for comment.

Williams' grandmother, Lavitus Guillory of Emeryville, said her 27-year-old grandson is living with her. She said his injuries have not healed and that the former player isn't working.

"I don't know what he is going to do," she said Tuesday. "It just messed up his life."

Romanowski contends in court documents that Williams' career did not end because of the fight. The defense said Williams tried out for the Miami Dolphins in 2004 but did not make the team.

Former Raiders Coach Bill Callahan said in pre-trial testimony that he did not expect Williams to make the 2003 roster even before the incident.

"We did not see a future in him," Callahan said in a deposition. "I just wanted to move on and get a better player in."

According to court records, the fight began with a drill in which Williams was assigned to block Romanowski. He steered Romanowski to the sideline and then gave him a shove from behind. The shoving escalated; the players grabbed each other's face masks.

Williams' helmet flew off in the tussle as Romanowski struck him in the eye, fracturing the orbital bone.

The Raiders fined Romanowski $58,823.52 for his role in the fight, records show

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Marcus Williams relived for jurors Wednesday the face-smashing punch teammate Bill Romanowski leveled on him during a practice drill that ended the former Oakland Raiders tight end's career after two seasons.

The 27-year-old Williams then told jurors why he was suing Romanowski in state court for millions of dollars in damages. The Aug. 24, 2003 attack, he testified, broke his left eye socket, shortened his memory and gave him double vision and depression.

"I felt that that wasn't right. That wasn't a fight, that was an assault," he said as jurors and Romanowski listened to his testimony in a cramped courtroom.

Hours before Williams took the stand, Romanowski finished his second day of testimony. After admitting that he punched Williams, Romanowski testified he's not sure how he would react again under the same circumstances.

"Would you do it again?" Williams' attorney, James Brosnahan, asked.

"If I was pushed in the back when I was playing football, I don't know what I would do, sir," Romanowski replied.

The article goes on to say that Romo was in tears during his testimony. Does he get any sympathy from me? No friggin way.

ESPN

[Edited on 3/10/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Come on...... it's the Raiders....... Did ya not think someone would get sued for something sooner or later??? LOL

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BgirlRAIDERETTE20
Come on...... it's the Raiders....... Did ya not think someone would get sued for something sooner or later??? LOL

spoken like a true fan

Romo really fit in with that group, eh? Except the crying part, that is...

[Edited on 3/11/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
romanowski has been ordered to pay marcus williams $340,000 for injurining williams in a practice field fight, while it is well short of the millions williams was asking for it should be enough to send a message...

sports.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Glad to hear that verdict!!

:approve:

new topics

top topics

join