It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Drew Bledsoe a Dallas Cowboy

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
News columnist Bob Dicesare believes that Drew Bledsoe's days in Buffalo are numbered now that J.P. Losman is poised to take over as the Bills' starting QB.

Who knows? Maybe that's not the way it goes down. Could be that Losman steps in and thrives. Daunte Culpepper shined under similar circumstances. He was named the Minnesota Vikings starter in 2000, his second year in the league, after throwing not one pass as a rookie.

LINK...

[Edited on 3-5-2005 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I just heard that the Cowboys are very interested in Bledsoe.

Remember Parcells drafted him out of college back when he was coaching New England.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I hope that he ends up in Cleveland.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Bills to release Bledsoe, make Losman starting QB

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Unwilling to accept a secondary role with the Buffalo Bills, quarterback Drew Bledsoe is seeking a new team for another shot at being a starter.

Granting Bledsoe's request to be cut, the Bills announced Wednesday they will waive the 12-year veteran Feb. 22, the first day NFL teams are allowed to officially release players. The decision came after the Bills informed him last week of their plans to give the starting job to J.P. Losman, Buffalo's second of two first-round draft choices last year.

"I completely disagree and can't understand their point of view," Bledsoe said during a conference call from his home in Oregon. "Do I think this is fair? No, I don't think it's fair. But I'm also aware that that's how it works, and I understand that."

And it's nothing against Losman.

"I just don't see myself being a backup in this league," Bledsoe said. "If it comes to that, you'll probably see me just tip my hat and head back to the Northwest."

Describing it as "a sad day," the 33-year-old wrapped up an inconsistent three-year tenure with Buffalo in which he started all 48 games. Bills president Tom Donahoe credited Bledsoe for helping turn around a team that was 3-13 before Buffalo acquired him for a first-round draft pick in a deal with New England in April 2002.

"When Drew came here, we were in a big black hole with this football team. And he certainly helped us get out of that," Donahoe said. "He brought respectability back to the Bills, and he brought credibility to our football team."

What Bledsoe didn't bring was enough victories, finishing 23-25 with the Bills, or lead the team to its first postseason berth since 1999. They came close last season at 9-7, when the team was eliminated from contention with a season-ending loss to Pittsburgh.

Bledsoe's declining passing numbers and lack of mobility led the Bills to turn to Losman. Selected 22nd overall out of Tulane, Losman is a strong-armed and fleet-footed player who made four mop-up appearances after missing the first half of last season with a broken left leg.

The injury and the Bills' late-season playoff run, in which they won six of their last seven, prevented the team from giving Losman more opportunities last year, Donahoe said.

"He helped us get to a good level," Donahoe said of Bledsoe. "We want to go beyond that level."

Coach Mike Mularkey said Losman's strong arm and scrambling ability are better suited for his multidimensional offensive philosophy.

"We have a lot of confidence in J.P.," Mularkey said. "This is obviously a big decision, but this happens every year."

Bledsoe, who led the Patriots to the Super Bowl after the 1996 season, was traded to Buffalo after losing his job to Tom Brady in 2001. Brady has led the Patriots to NFL titles in three of the last four seasons and was the MVP in two Super Bowls.
Advertisement

Bledsoe set 10 franchise passing records and earned his fourth Pro Bowl selection in his first season with the Bills before his numbers began to decline.

He has gone 30 straight games without throwing for 300 or more yards, and finished last season with 2,932 yards passing, 20 touchdowns and 16 interceptions, and had a mediocre passer rating of 76.6.

He will be one of several veteran quarterbacks on the market: Cleveland is releasing Jeff Garcia and Kurt Warner is leaving the New York Giants.

Bledsoe said Dallas would be a possible spot for him. Cowboys coach Bill Parcells chose him for New England with the first overall pick in the 1993 draft. The Bills have given him permission to negotiate with other teams.

Saying he briefly considered retiring, Bledsoe is itching to find a new place to play.

"I'm very excited about what the future holds," Bledsoe said. "I don't know where I'm going to land, but I'm going to land someplace, and you'll see me on the field next year."

He had two years left on a contract he restructured a year ago, scheduled to pay him $4.3 million next season, including a $1.05 million bonus due next month. By releasing him, the Bills will save $2.2 million in cap space.

source

CBS

[Edited on 2/17/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

TRD

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

The Star-Telegram's Jennifer Floyd Engel reports that Drew Bledsoe is intrigued by the thought of joining Cowboys coach Bill Parcells in Dallas. The Browns, Lions, Buccaneers and Cardinals could also pursue Bledsoe.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
:party-smiley-018:

Looks like the Cowboys are going to get Bledsoe, thats a huge improvement over Vinny. Drew is no spring chicken but I still think he's got something left in his tank. He still has a great arm and he's pretty accurate.

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Barring a last-minute breakdown in negotiations, veteran quarterback Drew Bledsoe will be the new starter for the Dallas Cowboys in 2005.

Multiple league sources confirmed Tuesday night that Bledsoe, whose release by the Buffalo Bills became official earlier Tuesday, has reached agreement in principle with the Cowboys on most of the major components of a contract. Bledsoe will fly to Dallas on Wednesday, meet with coaches and team officials, and likely finish the deal.

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
this shouls be interesting, bledso joining his old coach in dallas, bledso has said that he wants to be a starter, i have to wonder if jerry jones is going to allow drew to start ahead of drew henson?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I think Bledsoe should do well in Dallas. I would think that Henson would be the back-up but they should at least give him a chance to win the job in camp.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
at least he'll have an average or better line at Dallas, he should do well.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
You watch Bledsoe flounder against Pittsburgh in the season finale, a game with the playoffs at stake for Buffalo and nothing at stake for the Steelers, and you wonder if he ever again will take a club to the next level.

Well, here's his chance. He has a stable of wideouts, a terrific tight end, a promising young back and an improved offensive line now that the Cowboys landed Marco Rivera. Yes, the cost was steep, but it will be worth it if Rivera keeps Bledsoe off the mat. A Pro Bowl guard the past three seasons Rivera plugs a hole in the right side of Cowboys' offensive line -- and that should help Bledsoe in gaining a comfort zone. But this is what Coach Bill Parcells likes most about Rivera: He's a big, tough guy who gives the Cowboys leadership where they didn't have it.

www.sportsline.com...

Dallas also picked up Anthony Henry
www.sportztawk.com...

Jason Ferguson
www.sportztawk.com...

Hopefully they dont stop there.

new topics

top topics

join