It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Governors seal deal on Super Bowl bets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It looked as if all bets were off when Gov. Ed Rendell tried to make a wager with Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney over the outcome of the Philadelphia Eagles-New England Patriots matchup Feb. 6 in the Super Bowl.

The former Philadelphia mayor, who is an avid Eagles fan and part-time broadcaster for Comcast SportsNet, offered his customary ante of a Philly cheesesteak in the event the Eagles lost, but was rebuffed by Romney.

''He said the cheesesteak didn't have nutritional value of any kind,'' Rendell said Wednesday following a news conference in Bethlehem Town Hall.

So the governors hit upon a nutrition-neutral agreement.

If the Eagles win, Romney will go to Philadelphia to watch the 76ers play the Boston Celtics in a basketball game.

The catch is that Romney will have to wear an Eagles jacket and sing the national anthem before the start of the game.

If the Patriots win, Rendell will travel to the Fleet Center in Boston for a Sixers-Celtics matchup and wear a New England Patriots jacket.

Rendell passed on singing the national anthem, though, saying he isn't much of a crooner. ''I sing like a dead cat,'' he said.

Instead, his wife, Midge, will serenade the crowd.

But Rendell said he isn't concerned. ''We're not buying any plane tickets yet,'' he said.

Not surprising that Rendell's first pick was to wager food, given his renown for grazing.

So there was a moment of levity during the news conference when state Sen. Lisa Boscola presented Rendell a bag of gourmet football-shaped, green Eagles doggie treats for his golden retrievers, Mandy and Ginger.

The less-than-svelte Rendell appreciatively accepted the present.

''This is the best gift I've gotten in recent memory, because people are always giving me food,'' he said. ''This is the first gift in a very long time that I will not eat.''

mccall.com

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
If the Patriots win, Rendell will travel to the Fleet Center in Boston for a Sixers-Celtics matchup and wear a New England Patriots jacket.

I'll be looking for the guv in his new Patriots jacket when the Sixers visit the FleetCenter on April 3.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Just a bump for this one, look for it in a month...

new topics

join