It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Stuns Troops, U.S., With Iraq Trip

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:00 AM
link   
BAGHDAD, Iraq - President Bush (news - web sites) flew to Iraq (news - web sites) under extraordinary secrecy and security Thursday to spend Thanksgiving with U.S. troops and thank them for "defending the American people from danger."

The unannounced visit brought wild cheers from battle-worn soldiers, stunned the nation and even surprised the president's parents, who had been expecting him at the Thanksgiving table at his Crawford, Texas ranch.

The president returned to U.S. soil early Friday, as his plane landed at Andrews Air Force base outside Washington shortly after midnight, before continuing on to Texas to complete the dramatic journey.

Bush, the first U.S. president to visit Iraq, promised that insurgents testing America's commitment will not be rewarded with a U.S. retreat.

rest of the story

What do you think about this visit?

So our persident isnt just talk, he deos love the troops.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I was kinda suprised. It is nice to know that he would do that though. I bet it got some of the soldiers hopes up.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
I was kinda suprised. It is nice to know that he would do that though. I bet it got some of the soldiers hopes up.

If you read the article the soldiers say they did have their hopes up.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Too bad he doesn't attend any funerals of the soldiers or even visit a family or two of the soldiers who have fallen. Would have been cheaper and less "flight suity" politics.

I wonder how much that photo-op cost us?

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I just watched a news program and it said that Bush was the first US president to do something like this. I hope that this was not just a stunt and he really cares. It seems like he does cares.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herder
Too bad he doesn't attend any funerals of the soldiers or even visit a family or two of the soldiers who have fallen. Would have been cheaper and less "flight suity" politics.

Who cares how much it costs. We can afford it. It did acomplish something. The troops got there hopes up and got a reenforcement in their leardership.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I just watched a news program and it said that Bush was the first US president to do something like this. I hope that this was not just a stunt and he really cares. It seems like he does cares.

I also think he does care.

If no other president did this.

Then it most of mean he does care.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herder

If you didnt know all security has to be planned for ANY trip of the president.

It would be just to much haslle.

Also if he went to one funerel he would have to go to others too.

Or there would be to much talk about he being racist.

you know the democrats they want to get he for any minor thing.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Who cares how much it costs. We can afford it. It did acomplish something. The troops got there hopes up and got a reenforcement in their leardership.

Yes I agree with you.

You cant buy troops there hope.

and it deos as you said show he is a very skilled leader.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I think it was a pretty stupid thing to do. They are shooting rockets at planes at the same airport he went to.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:39 AM
link   
At least it shows that he is willing to take a risk that could help.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:41 AM
link   
The president of the United States shouldn't take these kinds of risks. Especially in a place as dangerous as Iraq.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I think that the presidents need to take a few more risks like that. It shows that they are really in the game and are willing to sacrafice their own safey to get the job done.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:54 AM
link   
That will change the first time one gets themselves killed.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I just herd that he was not the first president to go into a war zone like that but he is the first to do it in secret. He is the first not to make it too complicated with all the suits and such.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 02:11 AM
link   
It's merely a strategic ploy to raise morale amongst the US and Allied troops.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canuck

I agree its that and he is just a good caring president.

Also he wanted to show that he is willing to takes risks too.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canuck

And to get votes and increase his popularity in the polls.
Bush is a really bad president.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I totally agree with you, goose.
I think the upcoming election will be interesting, I doubt he will be voted in again..... if you can call the previous election a proper vote...... lol

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Did you hear the speech he gave to the troops. After he finishes, you can hear a LOT of boos from the crowd of soldiers. Listen for it when they replay it. That is, if they don't do a quick edit. I heard it first thing this morning.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join