It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some interesting anti air systems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I was looking on a site called www.army-technology.com... and I found some interesting air defence systems.

Information:
The Avenger Air Defence System, built by Boeing, forms an important element in the US Army's Forward Area Air Defense (FAAD) architecture, which includes C2I, radars, platforms and missiles. The first production contract for 325 units was awarded in 1987. The gyro-stabilised Avenger turret with Stinger missiles is mounted on a 4 x 4 HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle), but can also operate in a standalone configuration or mounted on a variety of military vehicles. Avenger has a crew of two - gunner and driver.

In 1992, the US Army signed a contract for a further 679 vehicles, bringing total Avenger production to 1,004 units, of which around 800 are in service. A further 14 units were ordered in August 1999. Taiwan has 70 systems and Egypt 50 systems.

The Avenger system is fielded worldwide with the US Army, US Marine Corps and Army National Guard. It was first deployed in 1991 to support NATO troops during Operation Desert Storm and has also been fielded in Bosnia and South Korea.

In September 2002, Avenger vehicles took part in the Open Skies II military exercise. The exercise was centred on the Washington region and tested air-ground multi-layered air defence.

A number of Avenger systems were deployed during Operation Iraqi Freedom, where, as well as providing air defence, they also contributed to ground security.
---Also the systems comes with two 50cal rapid firing machine guns.

Information:
The Light Armored Vehicle - Air Defence (LAV-AD) is a hybrid gun/missile air defence system, manufactured by General Dynamics Armaments Systems of Burlington, Vermont, USA. It combines a high rate of fire Gatling gun and the short range, infrared Stinger fire-and-forget missile system. LAV-AD is in service with the United States Marine Corps (USMC). The last of 17 systems was delivered in January 1999. The mission of the USMC LAV-AD is to provide air defence for the Light Armored Vehicle Battalion, with a secondary role to defend against ground threats.

The system consists of the Blazer air defence turret, developed by General Dynamics Armaments Systems and Thales Air Defense (formerly Thomson-CSF Airsys) of Bagneaux, France, installed on a modified LAV-25 vehicle, manufactured by the Diesel Division of General Motors of Canada. The LAV-AD 8 x 8 wheeled vehicle has all-terrain and amphibious mobility.

Also the missiles are stingers and 25mm gatling gun

Information:
Tunguska-M1 is a gun/missile system for low-level air defence. The system was designed by the KBP Instrument Design Bureau in Tula, Russia and is manufactured by the Ulyanovsk Mechanical Plant, Ulyanovsk, Russia. It can engage targets while stationary and on the move, using missiles for long-range targets and guns for close-in defence. It is designed for defence against both fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters and can also fire on ground targets.

Tunguska is in service with the Russian army and has also entered service with the Indian Army.

Also those guns are twin barreled 30mm machine guns

Information:
Pantsyr-S1 is a close-in air defence system designed to defend ground installations against a variety of weapons including both fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters, ballistic and cruise missiles, precision-guided munitions and unmanned air vehicles. It can also engage light armoured ground targets. It was designed by the KBP Instrument Design Bureau of Tula, Russia, and is manufactured by the Ulyanovsk Mechanical Plant, Ulyanovsk, Russia.

The United Arab Emirates has ordered 50 Pantsyr-S1 systems to be delivered by 2005.

Also those guns are 30mm machine guns.

I think that these are all very interesting systems because of their combonation of guns and missiles. If you know of any more please post. What do you think of these?

[Edited on 27-11-2003 by jetsetter]

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I like the Avenger system the best. It seems kinda simple and low key. Something that the US needs for a few things. Hey Russian what do you think?

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
I like the Avenger system the best. It seems kinda simple and low key. Something that the US needs for a few things. Hey Russian what do you think?

I am tired bu thats an intersting article.

let me read through it and then comment.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I am sorry. I posted that before your U2U. I will see you later.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:51 AM
link   
The thiing that cought my eye was that the Russian defense can shoot while in motin.

Maybe the US can too byt I did find it.

I will research a litle bit on this tommorow.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Here are link to information about these systems in order from top to bottom.

www.army-technology.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Avenger link: www.globalsecurity.org...

LAV-AD link: www.globalsecurity.org...

Tunguska-M1 link: www.globalsecurity.org...

Pantsyr-S1 link: www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I heard that the US will has been able to provide laser defense against aircraft from a fixed ground turret. The next logical step would be to put it on a mobile chasis.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian
The thiing that cought my eye was that the Russian defense can shoot while in motin.

Maybe the US can too byt I did find it.

I will research a litle bit on this tommorow.

the avenger can shoot while goin at 45 mph

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Its kind of weird how accurately C&C Generals modeled their units to what is currently in use.

They have the avengers on their, only they do use lasers instead of rockets.

new topics

top topics

join