It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Playoff Predictions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Allright guys. Let's here those Playoff Predictions. Here are the Wildcard Matchups:

AFC

Jets @ Chargers

Broncos @ Colts

Steelers and patriots have Byes

NFC

Rams @ Seahawks

Vikings @ Packers

Eagles and Atlanta have Byes

My predictions are Chargers over Jets, Colts over Broncos, Rams over Seahawks, Packers over Minnesota.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
i can't see the seahawks beating the rams, they blew a 17 point 4th quarter lead to them in seattle and then got blown out in st louis...as many picked the seahawks to win it all this year, their season just hasn't panned out

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Ming has decided the outcomes of all of these games for you:

Chargers over Jets - in a walk

Colts over Broncos - in a rout

Seahawks over Rams - in a close one

Packers over Vikings - in a drubbing

You are still free to watch these games should you so desire.

[Edited on 1/3/05 by MingMercil]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I cannot see the Seahawks winning. As you said they blew their lead horribly, plus the only reason they made the playoffs was because of their 6-0 start. had it not been for that they would be sitting at home watching the Packers slaughter the Vikings.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
actually the seahawks started out 3-0, then lost their next 3...they had a weak schedule, very few quality wins, and lost to some bad teams, dallas and arizona. in yesterdays game atlanta would have tied it except they came up about a foot short on a 2 point conversion...put the hawks down as a pretender, not a contender

Sun 9/12 at New Orleans W 21-7
Sun 9/19 at Tampa Bay W 10-6
Sun 9/26 San Francisco W 34-0
bye
Sun 10/10 St. Louis L 27-33
Sun 10/17 at New England L 20-30
Sun 10/24 at Arizona L 17-25
Sun 10/31 Carolina W 23-17
Sun 11/7 at San Francisco W 42-27
Sun 11/14 at St. Louis L 12-23
Sun 11/21 Miami W 24-17
Sun 11/28 Buffalo L 9-38
Mon 12/6 Dallas L 39-43
Sun 12/12 at Minnesota W 27-23
Sun 12/19 at NY Jets L 14-37
Sun 12/26 Arizona W 24-21
Sun 1/2 Atlanta W 28-26

[Edited on 1/3/2005 by toejam]

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
That's right... I think I might have been thinking about the Jags.. my bad

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I agree with ya'll on the AFC side of things, but I beleive that the Seahawks will edge the Rams (they aren't really that good) and the Vikes will stop choking, at least for this week.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Vikings will come good this round as so will the Broncos.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Alright guys, you're hearing it from me first...the Colts win host the AFC championship game...

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Mr. Gibbs, is this another expression of your warped sense of humor?

The operative words here are "NO DEFENSE".

Keep repeating those words as you cry youself to sleep, Baby.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MingMercil
Mr. Gibbs, is this another expression of your warped sense of humor?

The operative words here are "NO DEFENSE".

Keep repeating those words as you cry youself to sleep, Baby.

Ah, mudslinger, the defense doesn't matter, not when it comes to this team. We've been having a mild winter so far, which will downplay the home field advantage for both the Steelers and the Patriots. Thus, both Indianapolis and San Diego win the second round, and the Colts host (and win) the championship game.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Ming will consider your comments and respond appropriately.

Also, Ming is not a gunslinger as alleged.

Also, Ming does not smoke - it is a bad, filthy, unhealthy, habit for some - and addiction for others.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I'll go with Ming's pick ONLY if they get Alexander pounding the ball. If they get away from that Seattle is doomed. The rest are pretty much gimmies. Not that it really matters, Steelers/Pats in the Championship game to go on to smoke whoever comes out of the NFC.

Ben

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
AFC Wildcard Games
Chargers (12-4) vs. Jets (10-6)

There isn’t enough words to describe the season that the Chargers had. Who knows or even who can begin to say how the Chargers turned their season around. Maybe it was drafting Rivers, that inspired Brees to finally get his act together and be the QB that the Chargers knew he could be, and maybe Marty realized that he could be out of San Diego if he formed another losing season. We all know that many of the games that the Chargers won in the past years was because of LT, but this season it was different the offense put up points behind both Brees and LT, and the defense just shut down teams in general. They put together a great record of 11-5, and made points question if this team was still just a walkover, but week 6 we all knew the Chargers couldn’t be walked over. And now they are in the playoffs facing a very questionable Jets team.

When I say questionable I mean questionable, these last couple of games against the Pats, Rams, have been embarrassing for a playoff team of their caliber. The Jets started this season off so well going 5-0 at one point, and then somewhere down the season, something hit the jets and they just started to lose, in their last 10 games, the Jets put up a record of 5-5. Not to mention that The jets QB is pretty banged up which will no doubt hurt the chances of the Jets moving on to the Divisional game. It seems that at every position the Jets have there is just somebody slightly better on the Chargers team.

The Chargers have a more efficient and healthier Drew Brees over Jets Chad Pennington. I still would take the Chargers young and powerful LT over the chargers Martin, even though he has had what I think his best season in his all ready Hall of Fame career. And lets not even start to talk about the TE position. Gates can dominate a game no matter what.

Prediction: The Chargers are going to man handle the jets over the field, as much of a New York fan that I am, I just don’t see the Jets winning this game. The Chargers are going to pound the run, and if that doesn’t work Brees is going to show his skill in passing the football.

Colts (12-4) vs. Broncos (10-6)

This will be the 4th meeting in the past 13 months between these two teams. The Colts and Broncos both have won games, easily, and both have lost games heavily. This past season the Broncos won 37-10 and then the colts rebounded and won 41-10 with Manning having a perfect passer rating.

Simply put the Broncos are a good football team, they have a sound young squad that got them here in the first place. Sure the broncos won the last game of the season just a week ago, but that was with Manning only playing 3 plays and then hitting the clipboard and headset to take notes for the following week. This is no lie that Manning is going to put in many sleep-less nights preparing for this game. And it will show this weekend.
Manning is going to be up for the award of MVP, which is another discussion and should be won by another Qb, in Brees. But Manning has put this team in winning conententino, and will continue against the Broncos, will Bailey playing awful as of late, look for manning to pick apart this Broncos secondary and just hurt them will the ball, and to run the ball with James who has silently gained 1,500 rushing yards, yes that is one of the highest totals in the NFL, even more than LT of the Chargers, and only a 100 odd some yards below Martin, who is the leading rusher of the league.

Prediction: Manning leads the Clots to an easy victory after having his team more than prepared for this battle with the Broncos, its going to be close but in the end it will be an easily won victory.

[Edited on 1/6/2005 by Ben]

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
My guesses.....

Chargers over Jets
Colts over Broncos

Seahawks over Rams
Vikings over Packers

My NFC picks are partly based on the difficulty of beating a team three times in one season, ESPECIALLY divisional foes. The Rams beat Seattle twice and frankly, I'm not impressed with the Rams one bit. I think Hasselback has a good game and Seattle moves on. The Pack also beat the Vikes twice, 34-31 both times, and I think Minnesota can win this one, even in Lambeau. Michael Vick and the Falcons showed us just two years ago that it's not impossible to win a road playoff game in Lambeau, even for a DOME team. This wont be an easy game though as Minnesota's "defense" has been atrocious to put it mildly.

I think the Chargers and Colts will go far, possibly even winning second round games on the road. GibbsBaby makes a great point saying how mild the winter has been and that should definitely favor those two teams if they can get that far. The AFC playoffs look like they could be a bit more exciting but you never know.

I cant wait for wild-card weekend to start! :party-smiley-018:

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
PA, my man, you know you're football...

I can't agree with you more, expecially with the beating a team 3 times in one season bit. Does anyone know how many times that has happened?

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Ming may be incorrect (NB, Ming is never wrong) but when NE went to their appointment to be executed by the Chicago Bears (1986?), Ming knows that they beat Miami to get there and thinks they also beat Miami 2 other times during the regular season.

Gibbsy, please check that out for Ming like a good boy.

[Edited on 1/6/05 by MingMercil]

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Ming,
I found your link, it was '85 and The Fish actually beat them in the second regular season meeting.

www.footballdb.com...

I'm sure it has been done before, although it's tough. I'll keep looking to see if I can come up with some kind of answer to that.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
the winter storms that are supposed to hit this weekend may have a big impact on the games, it is raining here in the nw and it is supposed to turn to snow on friday, the weather is supposed to turn bad all across the country

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Ironically enough, Ming's Pat's did it to the Fish in '97.

www.footballdb.com...

Still haven't found a complete list yet.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join