It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Woodson quits Dallas

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Darren Woodson, the last remaining player from the Dallas Cowboys' Super Bowl run in the 1990s, has retired after 13 seasons with the team.

Five-time Pro Bowl safety Woodson, the Cowboys' all-time leading tackler, officially announced his retirement on Wednesday.

"Every time I put that helmet on that I was representing not only my family, not only my friends but I was representing the best," Woodson said. "I was representing the best organisation in the world."

The 35-year-old, who has missed the entire 2004 season with a back injury, has amassed 1,350 tackles, including 787 solo and 11 sacks, to go with 23 interceptions in a career that began in 1992.

"He is a very young man with a young family that has a great foundation to go from here and really do some great things," Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said.

"We hope that many of those things can be done in and a part and around the Dallas Cowboys organisation."

Woodson, who has been on the physically unable to perform list all season after undergoing back surgery in July, still has two years remaining on his contract.

Associated Press

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I was very sad to hear the news that Woodson was hangin' em up. He was a huge part of the Cowboys for the past 12 or so years and was also key in their 3 Super Bowl victories in the 90's. I enjoyed watching Darren play with his tough tackles and bone-jarring hits and will miss seeeing him on the field, but not as much as the Cowboys will miss him. I'd like to see him stay with the organization in some aspect and let him remain a Cowboy. He has also made significant off the field contributions to the community.

Thanks for the memories #28!!

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
BTW, he's retiring because of injury problems. The thread title made him sound like the next Ricky Williams.

join