It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: NFL Week 14 picks

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I am not as sure about the Cowboys as you guys, but wow that Redskin team looks on the verge of something big happening. They were hitting hard and really made me think that their storied franchise may be nearing some glory days. If they keep going where they're headed, I see them in the playoffs next year.

I doff my cap to the old Gibbs guy - maybe he still has what it takes after all.

Another team I hadn't paid much attention to is the Jags. I saw them last week. They likewise don't seem too far off from putting things together. What's the consensus, if there is one, on them? That Taylor running back looks mighty tough. They're looking fine at the line of scrimmage as well.

[Edited on 12/14/04 by MingMercil]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
It's hard to say which direction the Cowboys are going in, I guess I'm just a bit biased. The Skins have looked good in the past few weeks and have potential if they stop committing silly mistakes.

The Jags have been pretty good, I thought they were going to pull off that Sunday night game against Pittsburgh. Leftwich is just going to get better and Freddie Taylor has been pretty injury-free all season and running well. I like Del Rio too, he seems like a player's coach. I think they still have a shot at the playoffs this year, dont they?

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
They are still in the running. Agreed - Leftwich has a great arm and seems to be improving all the time. Ditto on Taylor - if he can stay healthy - he is a force.

I think the Jags, along with the Pats (a computer generated monster assembled by super geek Belichek - with interchangeable parts no less), Lions (I think Mariucci is a really sharp, tough, smart coach), Ravens (what D!) and the Eagles (when I can overlook TO's nonsense) are my pet teams.

[Edited on 12/15/04 by MingMercil]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Ming, I've noticed you're a Pats fan. How do you think the signing of Charlie Weis to ND will affect the Patriots? I'm sure he'll stay focused with New England until their season is over, but I wonder if it's at all a distraction to the team. Belichek seems to have mastered keeping players focused though so maybe they wont miss a beat. How about in 2005 though?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
PA, no doubt Weis will be missed. I am surprised he is going to a college program. ND best days may be in the past.

I understand that QB Tom Brady & Weis have had a great relationship. But Brady is a smart, tough guy - I assume he can handle the change. Some of Weis's innovate playcalling will be missed. I hope his understudy has been paying attention in class.

Thus far, Coach B. has been a master at avoiding distractions. This is the first major change (except for maybe Lawyer Milloy to the Bills and some of the Ty Law flack) since the new NE dynasty emerged. I think this will be a big challenge for Belichek. As usual, he will downplay it & everyone in the organization will act as though they were ready for the offensive coordinator torch to pass to the next guy groomed for the position - but it isn't always that easy. Wishful tinking doesn't always make it happen.

I would think its not just football acumen but also being able to have a rapport with the players. Whoever is on board for the Pats better have that or they may be in trouble. The offense seems to sputter from time to time as it is - and that was with Weis.

The players have apparently bought into B's system - I hope Weis's successor is able to make a seamless transition into that system.

As you can see, I am back and forth on this one. I think it is a challnege of greater enormity than Bill B. would ever let on, but then again, he always seems to be able to make good things happen.

BB seems to only allow people into the Club who will fit in - eg, the ballyhoo over Corey Dillon being a cancer turned out (so far) to be a lot of bull. Many say if he (CD) were going to be a problem, or even a potential problem, Belichek never would have brought him on board. I am assuming that the same goes with Weis's successor. Not that I expect a problem, but that the new guy will be a perfect or near perfect fit into this monster of a football machine.

Has Weis's successor been named? I haven't heard anything yet.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MingMercil
This is the first major change (except for maybe Lawyer Milloy to the Bills and some of the Ty Law flack) since the new NE dynasty emerged.

so when was the original NE dynasty??

Has Weis's successor been named? I haven't heard anything yet.

I would think that they'll wait until they're out of the playoffs. Which will be prior to the Super Bowl this season...

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
The original NE dynasty was...oh yeah, Gibbsy, I see what you mean. I misspoke. My aplogies.

As ususal, Gibbenstein, you're also right about when we'll get word of Weis's replacement. What a knucklehead I am. Sorry for asking such a stupid quesion. My mistake.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MingMercil
The original NE dynasty was...oh yeah, Gibbsy, I see what you mean. I misspoke. My aplogies.

As ususal, Gibbenstein, you're also right about when we'll get word of Weis's replacement. What a knucklehead I am. Sorry for asking such a stupid quesion. My mistake.

Ah, we all do at times, it seems....

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join