It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: NFL Week 14 picks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
New York Jets (9-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (11-1)

The Steelers host the New York Jets with a chance to take the AFC North Division title with a win. The Jets have never won here, losing all five meetings, and, of course, Steelers rookie quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has yet to lose, compiling a 10-0 record since becoming the starter. The Jets have allowed the fewest points in the NFL (175), but will not have Pro Bowl defensive end John Abraham, who is expected to miss two weeks with a sprained right knee ligament.

The Steelers will certainly look to wear down the Jets with the tandem of Duce Staley and Jerome Bettis. While New York has the league's leading rusher in Curtis Martin (1,305 yards) and LaMont Jordan, who is averaging 5.4 yards per carry. The Steelers have yielded 184 points and are first in the league against the run. The Jets rushed for more than 200 yards in a game for the third time this season in last week's 29-7 win over Houston.

This is a tough matchup this week.

TRD's Prediction: Steelers

New York Giants (5-7) at Baltimore Ravens (7-5)

This season, the Giants are having the same kind of meltdown under coach Tom Coughlin. They enter Sunday on a five-game losing streak - the low point coming last week in a 31-7 loss to the Washington Redskins. Yet in the weak NFC, the Giants are bunched with six teams, one game behind Seattle for the last wild-card spot. Three of the losses in the streak have come since Coughlin handed the quarterback job to Manning, who has completed just 42 per cent (35-of-83) of his passes for 423 yards with four interceptions and just one touchdown.

The Ravens are hoping to snap a two-game losing streak. Their defence had a rare breakdown last week, allowing 24 points in the fourth quarter of a 27-26 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals. The Ravens had been 35-0 under Billick when holding a 14-point lead, but blew a 17-point advantage against the Bengals. Baltimore are tied with Denver for the last AFC wild-card spot, two games behind the New York Jets, who hold the first wild card position.

With two tough games comming up next for the Ravens this game is a must win.

TRD's Prediction: Ravens

Miami Dolphins (2-10) at Denver Broncos (7-5)

The Denver Broncos, coming off a pair of disappointing losses, aim to get back on the winning track against the Miami Dolphins on Sunday. Two weeks ago, the Broncos endured a last-second defeat to the Oakland Raiders here. And last week, they committed costly mistakes in a 20-17 loss at San Diego. Now, instead of being tied with San Diego on top of the AFC West, Denver are tied with Baltimore for the final wild-card spot.

The Dolphins were plagued by turnovers last week as they committed seven in a 42-32 loss to Buffalo. They have 35 turnovers this season. AJ Feeley threw for a career-high 303 yards with three touchdowns, but was intercepted five times against Buffalo.

Denver will be looking to get the win here in a must win game.

TRD's Prediction: Denver

Seattle Seahawks (6-6) at Minnesota Vikings (7-5)

The Seahawks have little to no defense to speak of and seem to have every key linebacker on the roster injured. The Vikings on the other hand are continuing the late-season freefall they seem to have perfected over the years. The Seahawks look to avoid their third straight loss on Sunday when they meet the Vikings in a pivotal game for both teams in the NFC play-off race. The Vikings won their first six games last season, only to miss the play-offs. The Seahawks won their first three games this season, but now find themselves at the .500 mark. Seattle are tied for first place in the NFC West with the St Louis Rams, but would be the second wild card based on two losses to division rivals. Minnesota are tied with Green Bay in the North, but also would be relegated to a wild-card spot.

Last Monday night, the Seahawks rallied from a 15-point deficit, then squandered a 10-point lead with under two minutes remaining in a shocking 43-39 loss to Dallas. Seattle have surrendered 81 points in its last two games. It could be another challenge here against the duo of Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss, who pace the NFL's third-ranked offence. It also has been another struggle for the Vikings, who have lost four of their last six games following a 5-1 start. Last week, Culpepper threw three interceptions in a disappointing 24-14 loss at Chicago. Moss also was quiet, catching four passes for 31 yards while losing a fumble.

Another tough game and a must win for both teams.

TRD's Prediction: Vikings

Other Games

Cleveland Browns at Buffalo Bills: Bills

Detroit Lions at Green Bay Packers: Packers

Indianapolis Colts at Houston Texans: Colts

San Francisco 49ers at Arizona Cardinals: Arizona

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I agree with your picks except I'm going with the Hawks over the Vikes... That could just be wishful thinking.... Actually I'm just hoping the Vikings lose

But hey... I'm still going against you on this one TRD......

TRD

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Hehe yeah, i think that is one of the harder games to call. I went with the Vikes as they have let me down in the last two game when i picked them, so they owe me this week lol!

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
i gotta go with the vikes, the seahawks are in a freefall, they have no run defense and are a team that is back on it's heels....vikings in a walk

TRD

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
So whats happened to Hassleback? Last year he threw the ball real well, now he is a bit of a liability. (although he had one of his best games last weekend)..

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
hasselback is doing ok, his recievers are notoriously fumble fingered, seeming to drop as many as they catch, the running game is ok with alexander having a good year, the defense has been the problem, with missed assignments, injuries, and a problem stopping any kind of ground game, they haven't been the same team since they blew the game to st louis in week 4

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
i forget who i picked but the only one i'm sure of is the Vikes over the Seahawks. i'll take my upset game with Miami over Denver by 21. i didn't get to do any research on the games this week because i'm busy getting ready for Vegas (i leave sunday morning). i'll be back to spending hours researching the games and picking incorrectly next week.

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I tseems the game sthis week are just too easy to call, I was gonna give you crap about it, TRD, but, you gotta go with what they give you, andthey aren't giving us too much this weekend.

Oh yeah, my upset of the week? 'Skins over the Eagles...

TRD

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Gibbs i dunno some of them games are tough this week, the Jets game for one.

Not too mention the Rams v Panthers, Tampa v San Diego and Eagles v Skins....

I think they are all hard ones to call...

posted on Dec, 11 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Nah, thw favs will win this weekend, with few exceptions...

TRD

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Nah, thw favs will win this weekend, with few exceptions...

With that method of picking games is that why you are doing so well in the pick-em?

There could be a few upsets or close games this week.

Care to make a breakdown as to why and who is gonna win or not?

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
With that method of picking games is that why you are doing so well in the pick-em?

Yeah, I stopped picking as many upsets as I was earlier in the season, it's been working, just ask skyrat....

Care to make a breakdown as to why and who is gonna win or not?

Alright, you wanna make me do some thinking here, after the night I had??? Here goes the mini-me version -

Redskins over Eagles I have money on this one, so they gotta pull it off. Surprisingly, the 'skins aren't totally out of the playoff hunt, if they win out, in the weak NFC, they should be in.

Atlanta over Oakland Oakland plain sucks. Kerry Collins unfortunately isn't that much of a leader on the field, as my cousin always makes a point to tell me. Easy pick.

Buffalo over Cleveland OK, had to think about this one a little. So I took out a coin and flipped it. But, since Cleveland doesn't have the same head coach that they started with, I'm leaning towards the Bills. I like Robiski, though, I think he did a decent job with the situation they stuck him with in DC several years back.

New Orleans over Dallas Just because it's Dallas.

Jacksonville over Chicago Are you kidding me? The Jags should be all over them!

Baltimore over the Giants Just because they are the Giants.

Indy over Houston Manning gets to within one TD of the record. Carr will have more interceptions than TD's by the end of the day.

Minnesota over the Seahawks In a battle of teams that have given up, they both never come out of the locker room after the half. We find out later they were playing each other in Madden's x-box game. Ironically, the Seattle players won, but the were Minnesota on Madden. And they even won the Super Bowl...

NE over Cincy ?

Denver over Miami ??

Pittsburgh over the Jets Alright, another thinker. But, since Big Ben hasn't lost yet, I'm going with this guy.

Carolina over St Louis Carolina seems to think that they can get to the Super Bowl without Stephen Davis. They're wrong, but, they'll win this weekend.

Green Bay over Detroit The QB torch in the NFC Norris division isn't passed just yet, Mr. Harrington. Please wiat your turn.

Arizona over San Fran Another coin toss, but, really, can you pick the nineres to win anything? I heard they even lost a croquet game last weekend.

The Sand Dawgs over The Buckaneers The Bolts are playing awesome this season. The Bucs aren't. Gates wins me my cousin's fantasy league.

Kansas City over Tennessee Mr. Johnson, please introduce yourself. We have a nice nationally televised game that we think would be great for you to do it on...

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
this is the week that you could either catch skyrat or make it tough with only a few weeks left....i think the vikes will beat the seahawks, i could run for 100 yards against their defense

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by toejam
this is the week that you could either catch skyrat or make it tough with only a few weeks left....i think the vikes will beat the seahawks, i could run for 100 yards against their defense

I'll at least make a good run at her. I'm afraid my upsets that didn't happen earlier in the season will prevent me from catching up with the rest of ya'll.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
As much as I hate the Bears... I think they may upset the Jags... Don't get fooled into thinking this a no brainer...:angry-smiley-034:

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
What makes you say that?

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Good Lord... I went to the Jags official web site to try and dig up some dirt on them... That was the worst web site I've evr been to... You can't even find what their record is!!!

I dunno... I'm going with my gut here again... The Bears have a chance to make the playoffs for the first time in like a decade if they keep winning. If they play half as well against the Jags as they did against the Vikes last week I think they'll come out with a win.

My gut lost big time last week... But I'm going to give it another chance in this one.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Whatever you do, don't hold it against your gut. It should always be on your good side. Treat it kindly, with some hot wigns, perhaps?

Anyway, I like this Jags team. I would pick them over just about anyone.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Jags are stuttering on 3rd downs and have only produced 1 TD from the last 9 red zone attemps. Chad Hutchinson has a strong arm and he could open up the Jags.

There is alot to play for in this game as The Bears are still in the NFC wild-card berth if Seattle lose today and the Bears win then they have a chance.

Gibbs isn't it or Gibbsbaby!!..

Alot of todays games have real importance and favourites will go out of the window. Some of these teams will be playing with a bit more determination and its every team for themselves..

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Not really an easy week to pick as Gibbs is trying to make us think, all games this time of year are a bit more intense. Hey Gibbs, if it's such easy pickin' this week then what were you smoking when you picked the Saints over the Cowboys?

Anyway, here are my 3 picks that you can take to the bank.........

New Orleans @ Dallas - The Aints travel to Big D with their 32nd ranked defense against the hottest RB in football right now. I see Julius Jones posting his 3rd straight 150+ yard performance against the pourous defense. The Dallas defense has improved and should shut down Aaron Brook's inconsistent offense.

Cowboys 27-21

St Louis @ Carolina - The Rams limp into North Carolina with Chandler and Arlen Harris playing the parts of Bulger and Faulk. If the Rams had any defense to speak of they might have a chance, but, they don't. Should be another monster game for Mushin Muhammed.

Panthers 31-24

NY Giants @ Baltimore - The Ravens have to be awfully angry after their ferocious defense blew a 4th quarter lead against the Bengals last week and they get to take that out on a rookie QB. I think it'll be a long day for the little Manning as the Ravens get enough offense to beat the G-Men at home.

Ravens 20-10

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join