It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Why is it?

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
My question is, why is it that when a team is well in the lead they either pull the QB or replace some of the players. I know it's most proberly so they dont get injured. But i would thought you want to score as much as possible and completely humilate the other side. Thats what its all about, win big and in style. Also why when they are like 20 yrds out with 1.30 on the clock they dont go for the TD? they kneel to end the game.

I know i most prob answered my own question but it annoys me that they do it as in the UK they dont do it. They play the game out to the end in other sports.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It depends on what you find more humiliating? I would find it more humiliating having to play against another teams second stringers. The kneel down at the end of the game is pretty humiliating as well... Sportsmanship plays a big part of it as well.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
it is a money thing mostly. with the huge salaries they are paying these guys they can't afford to lose them, also with the parity in the NFL they can't afford to lose them for a single game either because any week just about any team can win, so they have to keep them fresh because next week may not be the cake walk that this week was. and on a side note they do it to piss off fantasy football owners, and screw with the gamblers who bet the over under(nothing confirmed about this but it's my theory).

TRD

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Yeah i noticed that Aegis with the handicapping, seems like all they need is a field goal and they dont go for it...

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I think the first part of aegis's story is accurate, not the second. But, i'm not a big ATS person, either.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
These guys are all pros. You do not want to totally humiliate another team. Memories are long and it can be used as a huge motivational tool against you. Basically, I guess it's just bad football karma.

Taking a knee at the end also ensures against some screwball play causing a fumble and resulting in a score. That's different. That's just being smart.

Most team sports put in subs when there is an insurmountable lead - at least in baseball and basketball it's also true.

new topics

top topics

join