It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Ricky Williams

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
So whats the deal?

Accoring to his lawyer Ricky Williams will serve a four-game suspension beginning next month, then will be reinstated to the Miami Dolphins by the NFL.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
First I heard of it.

TRD

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
First I heard of it.

Well you heard it here first on Sportz...

It sounds like its up to the league for the final say so and the 4 game ban would be for violation of substance abuse.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
here is what i just found....go figure, this guy is a real nut case

Williams to serve four-game suspension beginning with Game 13

By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer
November 23, 2004
NEW YORK (AP) -- Ricky Williams will serve a four-game suspension beginning next month and then be reinstated with the Miami Dolphins by the NFL, according to his lawyer.

But the league says an agreement has not been finalized.

``I am pleased with the National Football League's proposal,'' attorney David Cornwell said Tuesday. ``I think Ricky will be pleased, too.''

Williams must approve the deal, which would move him from the retired list to the suspended list for the final four games of the schedule. The running back is required to serve a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

After that, his contract with the Dolphins would be in force.

``Anything regarding Ricky's status is a league matter,'' Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene said.

``No agreement has been reached at this time,'' NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said, adding the league and Williams' representatives have been in discussions ``for some time.''

Williams, 27, retired during the summer, giving up the $5 million he would have earned this season, which would have been his sixth in the NFL, amid reports he faced the suspension for substance abuse. Williams is now about a month into a 17-month course at the California College of Ayurveda in Grass Valley, Calif., studying holistic medicine.

The Dolphins' season pretty much was ruined by Williams' sudden retirement. The star runner was the focal point of Miami's offense and the Dolphins, also ravaged by injuries, are 1-9 without him. They will have their first losing season since 1988 and Dave Wannstedt resigned as coach earlier this month.

The team filed a lawsuit last month in federal court against Williams after an arbitrator ruled he owes the team more than $8.6 million for breaching his contract.

Williams rushed for 3,225 yards in two seasons with the Dolphins, including a league-leading 1,853 yards in 2002. They acquired the 1998 Heisman Trophy winner in a trade with New Orleans after the 2001 season.

Throughout his career, Williams has been plagued by strange behavior, including conducting interviews with his helmet on when he was with the Saints. He suffers from social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesman for an anti-depressant. He said marijuana helped him once he had to stop using the anti-depressant because it didn't agree with his diet.

Williams found laughable reports he retired because he wanted to continue smoking marijuana.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
earlier in the day it was reported that he had enrolled in a natural healing center in california to learn to be some kind of a healer using yoga and stuff like that....

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
here is the latest strange twist in the saga of rickey williams, it is hard for me to understand how anyone in his right mind this side of al davis would want this guy anywhere around a team

League Ponders Letting Williams Return Faster
By JUDY BATTISTA

s the N.F.L. and a lawyer for the retired Miami running back Ricky Williams close in on an agreement to allow Williams to be reinstated after serving a substance-abuse suspension at the end of this season, the question remains whether he is interested in returning.

Williams's lawyer, David Cornwell, told The Associated Press this week that he was pleased with the league's proposal to allow Williams to serve a four-game suspension in December, then be reinstated with the Dolphins. He also said he thought Williams would be happy with the plan. Cornwell said through a spokesman yesterday that there had been no further progress on the deal.

The N.F.L. spokesman Steve Alic said yesterday that while discussions continued, no agreement had been reached.

Williams recently indicated that football was far from his mind. He is studying holistic medicine at the California College of Ayurveda, just outside Sacramento. When contacted by The San Francisco Chronicle, Williams indicated that Cornwell and his agent, Leigh Steinberg, might not know his current wishes.

"I understand their wishful thinking," Williams told The Chronicle. "It's easy math. If I play, it puts more money in their pocket." Later, Williams said: "I loved playing football, but the reasons I loved football were just to feed my ego. And any time you feed your ego, it's a one-way street."

The deal would require Williams to participate in the league's substance-abuse program and the regular testing it demands. Williams also owes the Dolphins more than $8.6 million for breaching his contract. When he retired last summer, as he faced a positive test for marijuana use, Williams walked away from the $5 million - including bonuses and incentives - that he stood to make this season.

The proposed deal would reduce the suspension time Williams would have to serve. Because he failed a third drug test before his retirement, he would have had to serve a four-game suspension. But a return from retirement within a year would subject Williams to a one-year suspension under the league's substance-abuse program. Instead, Williams would serve the four-game suspension this season and be free to rejoin the Dolphins for off-season activities.

The Dolphins would probably try to trade Williams, although his mercurial behavior makes his trade value unknown, even though, at 27, he is still in his athletic prime.

The Dolphins have had no comment on Williams's situation, calling it a league matter.

Soon after he retired, Williams was quoted as saying that if he returned, he would not mind playing for the Oakland Raiders, who are coached by the former Dolphins offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

But Williams seems to have changed his mind again. He has traveled extensively since the summer, and the holistic medicine program in which he is enrolled lasts 18 months.

TRD

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Well the talks are still ongoing, some are saying he will be back in 2005, some say that they are trying to get him back sometime this season....

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
He definitely wont play this season as he has a suspension to serve.

As good a player as Ricky is, I wouldn't want him in my locker room. There are many other factors than just what a player does on the field.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Williams says Miami's bad season isn't his fault

NEW YORK -- Ricky Williams insists the Miami Dolphins' dismal season isn't his fault.

"That's their problem ... It's not my problem anymore," Williams told 60 Minutes in an interview to air Sunday on CBS.

"I played as hard as I could whenever I put that uniform on, but I'm not doing that anymore, you know? I moved on."

The Dolphins are 2-11 this season. Williams, 27, stunned his team by retiring shortly before Miami opened training camp in July.

"I didn't know ahead of time or I would have given them a clue," he said.

Williams said a third failed drug test made him retire because he was "scared to death" that people would find out he smoked marijuana.

"The thing I had the most trouble with was that after you fail your third test, then it becomes public knowledge," said Williams in the interview, parts of which will also be shown on CBS' Sunday pregame show The NFL Today. "That's one thing I couldn't deal with at the time -- people knowing that I smoke marijuana. That was my biggest fear in my whole entire life."

The Dolphins filed a lawsuit in federal court against the running back, seeking the $8.6 million an arbitrator ruled he owes the team for breaching his contract. Williams is fighting the decision.

He gave up the $5 million he would have earned this season, which would have been his sixth in the NFL. He is now enrolled in a 17-month course at the California College of Ayurveda in Grass Valley, Calif., studying holistic medicine.

"To a lot of people, I look very foolish in what I am doing and I understand that," Williams said. "(It doesn't bother me) because the only thing that matters is how I feel, and if I let what they feel affect me, then it changes how I feel."

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Dont quote me, but I think Wicky is going to be on 60 Minutes tomorrow night (Sunday).

I saw a preview of it this morning, he looks like a homeless bum.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Ming proclaims that Ricky Williams is free to do his own thing.

If there are some things more important to him in life than football, he should be allowed to make whatever choices work for him.

Ming does not fully understand why the Earthlings seem to be so down on this fine athlete - why is so much emnity is shown for this fellow human.

Aieeeee. His teammates and the Dolphin organization and maybe Miami fans, if there are any, can gripe - but why is everyone else piling on?

If he wants to be making pottery or doing Yoga or eating donuts instead of playing football - you know what? It is his choice and Ming wishes him well. So it is. Ming has spoken.

[Edited on 12/21/04 by MingMercil]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I find it hard to say, but I agree with the Mingster...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Of course you do, Baby, you have no choice.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Hey now, Baby is gettin a little too personal...

top topics

join