It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: jerry rice moves up the coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
jerry rice has been traded to the seattle seahawks, reports on local radio has the hawks sending a conditional 7th round draft pick to the raiders, the hawks receivers are a mess, all the talent in the world and none of the guts, hopefully jerry will help with that problem

Rice will get fresh start with Seahawks

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
October 19, 2004

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- Jerry Rice is leaving the Bay Area, where he quickly developed into the greatest receiver in NFL history with a relentless work ethic that still defines him today.

Disgruntled for weeks at a lack of playing time for the struggling Oakland Raiders, Rice got his wish Monday when they traded him to a contender: the Seattle Seahawks. The move reunites him with Seattle coach Mike Holmgren, Rice's former offensive coordinator in San Francisco.

The trade will be finalized after Rice undergoes a physical and the league gives its approval. An NFL source, speaking to The AP on the condition of anonymity, said the Raiders expected to receive a conditional seventh-round draft pick in return for Rice but the final details were still being worked out between the teams.

The Seahawks, who had not made any announcement Monday night, will owe Rice the remainder of his $1.35 million base salary this season.

The 42-year-old Rice, in his 20th NFL season, said goodbye to his teammates Monday, even signing autographs for some before leaving. A trophy and his belongings remained in his locker.

``Yeah, we knew,'' fullback Zack Crockett, one of Rice's longtime friends, told The AP in a phone interview. ``Right now, everything is so fresh. This is a real sad day. You lose a lot of close friends as well. We'll definitely miss him.''

In one dramatic day, the last of the Oakland's old guard was swept away. Earlier, injured quarterback Rich Gannon announced he won't return to the field for the Raiders this season because of a broken vertebra in his neck.

Gannon acknowledged that with longtime receiver Tim Brown already gone and Rice virtually out the door -- and his own football future uncertain -- this could mark the end of a special era for the Silver and Black.

``You could look at it that way,'' Gannon said. ``Obviously, when you hire a new coach there are some changes. I want to think of it as a beginning of an era.''

Rice asked last week to be traded before Tuesday's deadline because he knew his role the rest of the season would continue to be minimal in new coach Norv Turner's offense. Earlier Monday, Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said the team was looking into a possible deal.

``I would think it would give any team a boost, but really it's up to the Raiders,'' Holmgren said. ``It's really their call.''

Holmgren was Rice's offensive coordinator from 1989-91 with the 49ers, and Holmgren was San Francisco's quarterbacks coach starting in Rice's second season with the team in 1986.

Seattle was a logical destination for Rice because he knows Holmgren's offense and Seahawks could use some help at receiver.

Rice wanted to play for a team that will give him a greater role, and Holmgren has agreed to provide him with a fresh start. Rice has gone without a catch in three of five games this season, including Sunday's 31-3 loss to Denver when he didn't even get a pass thrown his way. His record receptions streak ended at 274 in Week 2 against Buffalo.

Rice seemed incredibly conflicted after Sunday's game, alternately talking in the past, present and future tenses about his three-plus seasons with the Raiders. He spoke about what he could do to help turn around Oakland's 2-4 start, but also expressed his appreciation for 20 years of support from Bay Area fans.

Rice realizes the Raiders are focused on developing their young receivers: Jerry Porter, Ronald Curry, Doug Gabriel and Alvis Whitted.

But Rice still believes he can be productive.

``They know each other, and Mike was interested in Jerry before he signed with the Raiders,'' Rice's agent, Jim Steiner, said Monday afternoon. ``He will know the offense if that's where he ends up, and he'll fit right in.''

Rice is the NFL's career leader in catches and touchdowns and the only receiver ever to play after age 40. He has only five receptions for 67 yards and no touchdowns this year. Last season, he led the Raiders in catches (63) and yards receiving (869).

He claimed the Raiders never told him to expect a diminished role, and he would embrace the chance to play elsewhere because he ``can't go out this way.'' He said earlier this year that this would be his last season, but backtracked later.

Rice left the Raiders' facility early Monday afternoon to handle family responsibilities.

``Nothing,'' Rice said of any developments. ``My day is done. I'm going home to take care of some kids

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Just wonder if the real reason Rice has gone to Seattle is to become a player coach because as everyone knows there Receivers have all got holes in there hands

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
i hope that wether he is an official player-coach or not his work ethic and heart will run off on the other seahawk receivers, they need lessons in both, so far this year the only thing they haven't dropped have been their paychecks

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
nah, he's looking to get the ball into his own hands more often. Which isnot a bad thing for Seattle fans. This will only make this team that much better. they could have used him this past weekend...

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
rice's number (80) had been retired by the seahawks as it once belonged to steve largent...largent conferred with the hawks and they have decided that the number should be unretired and given to rice....classy move by largent

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
classy indeed, a nice nod from th eformer greatest WR to the current...

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
i know that the receivers for the seahawks suck and can't catch, but do they really need another one? i mean, in theory, robinson, ingram, and jackson should be more than enough.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by kooshdoctor
i know that the receivers for the seahawks suck and can't catch, but do they really need another one? i mean, in theory, robinson, ingram, and jackson should be more than enough.

you are kidding arn't you they all got holes in there hands and also Robinson is gonna be gone for four games

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
rice will help them catch the ball two, his veteran leadership is something they need.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
eexactly, the leadership role is what he's to bring, along with his work ethic, which is legendary...

new topics

top topics

join