It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Shockey backs off with his Coughlin complaints

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Jeremy Shockey insisted Thursday his lack of comfort with the New York Giants' new offense is not the fault of coach Tom Coughlin.

"It's not him, it's just me," Shockey said, a day after complaining the offense was limiting his big-play ability.

"I'm not used to doing the things that I'm doing and I take that as a challenge," he said. "I'm going to get better every day and just try to push myself and get better at the things that they want me to do."

Shockey felt the new offense was making him block too much, and it had him in motion so much he was tired before the ball was snapped.

There was no doubt in Coughlin's mind Thursday that Shockey could make big plays in the new offense.

"Jeremy is a good football player and he just has to have some patience," Coughlin said. "He has to understand that it's a work in progress and the more we have an opportunity to work Kurt (Warner) with Jeremy and other players getting to know each other better, then our expectations continue to rise."

Shockey, the Giants' first-round draft pick in 2002, caught seven passes for 75 yards in the first two games this season. The Miami product also has dropped three passes, including one from Warner in the opener that probably would have been a touchdown.

Shockey missed the first half of training camp because of foot surgery in June. He pulled a hamstring halfway through camp.

Warner hasn't heard any complaints from Shockey - yet.

"He's been very excitable in the huddle, he's had a great attitude," Warner said. "I haven't noticed that, so we just have to keep everybody happy, that's the bottom line. Try to spread the ball around, spread the wealth, give everybody an opportunity to do what they do well and continue to win football games."

One touchdown catch might change Shockey's attitude.

"I just have to get in here and work harder and just try to play faster as a player and not think so much," said Shockey, who set a Giants record for tight ends and rookies with 74 catches in 2002. "I have to just go out there and play."

new topics

join