It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: colts want COuch?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The Indianapolis Colts were still fine-tuning their roster Monday, and one option is quarterback Tim Couch.

After announcing 12 player cuts Monday, one day after the NFL deadline to trim rosters to 53, coach Tony Dungy acknowledged the Colts were interested in Couch, the No. 1 pick in 1999 who was cut Sunday by Green Bay.
"I'm sure we'll take a look at Tim Couch," Dungy said. "He played in a similar system to what we have when he was in Cleveland. He was the first pick in the draft. He played well both times we played against him, and I think it's something we'll talk about."

Dungy's comments came on the same day the Colts made a surprise move by waiving guard Steve Sciullo, who started 13 games last season, so they could claim Ryan Lilja off waivers from Kansas City.

Lilja, a 6-foot-2, 285-pound guard, started 14 of 23 games in two seasons with Kansas City, which cut him Sunday.

"You hate to let an offensive lineman go because you always need them, but we got someone we wanted," Dungy said.

And Indianapolis may not be finished.

Backing up NFL co-MVP Peyton Manning are Joe Hamilton and Jim Sorgi. Because neither has thrown an NFL pass, Couch could add insurance.

But Couch has been bothered by a sore throwing arm and struggled to pick up the Packers' version of the West Coast offense while he tried to win the job as Brett Favre's backup.

Still, Dungy said, the Colts would be interested in working him out after they play Thursday night at New England.

"But this is not a place where a lot of guys go to jump-start their careers," Dungy said. "I don't bet, but if I did, I wouldn't bet on this."

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
i'd be happy with him here, too

join