It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Eagles cut levens

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Running back Dorsey Levens and special teams MVP Sean Morey were among 15 players cut by the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday.

Levens, who would have been starting his 11th NFL season, was signed two weeks ago after the Eagles lost Correll Buckhalter to a season-ending knee injury. Levens, though, showed his age in limited preseason action, running for 37 yards on 12 carries in his only game against the New York Jets.

Levens nearly decided to retire during this offseason, but he continued to work out just in case an opportunity arose. Now Levens, who played for Philadelphia in 2002, has to keep looking.

The 34-year-old Levens spent last season with the Giants and averaged a career-low 2.9 yards per carry.

The Eagles also cut running back Eric McCoo, leaving little experience behind Brian Westbrook. Reno Mahe and Thomas Tapeh will now fill the backup role unless the Eagles make a trade or sign a free agent before Sunday's opener against the New York Giants.

Eagles coach Andy Reid was not available for comment Sunday.

Morey was a mild surprise, earning MVP honors while finishing second on the Eagles with 28 special team tackles. He played all 16 games, returning seven kicks for a 13.3-yard average.

The Eagles also agreed to send a conditional 2005 draft choice to San Francisco to complete the Terrell Owens deal. The Eagles originally sent defensive end Brandon Whiting to the 49ers, but he underwent shoulder surgery in April and has not played or practiced in the preseason.

If Whiting is on the 49ers' inactive or reserve list for Games 1-5 or longer of the 2004 season, the 49ers will receive a fifth-round draft choice from the Eagles. If he's on the inactive or reserve list for Games 1-2, 1-3, or 1-4, the 49ers will receive a sixth-round draft choice. If he's on the inactive or reserve list for just Game 1 of the 2004 season, the 49ers will receive a seventh-round pick.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Again, this sucks for me in my keeper league (yeah, my team there still sucks!), I just picked the guy up!!

Arggh, I can't win!!

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
i thought that he was going to get some carries for sure in philli

new topics

join