posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:32 PM
Doug Flutie survived the final cuts by the San Diego Chargers on Sunday, just as coach Marty Schottenheimer promised.
There had been speculation that Flutie, 41, would be cut or traded by Sunday's deadline to reduce the roster to 53. Instead, the Chargers will carry
four quarterbacks: incumbent starter Drew Brees, rookie Philip Rivers, Flutie and Cleo Lemon.
Schottenheimer said he doesn't anticipate moving any of them in a trade, and all four will be on the active roster. Lemon was on the practice squad
last year. The Chargers apparently feared they would lose him if they waived him as a prelude to putting him on the practice squad again.
Schottenheimer will announce Monday whether Brees or Rivers will start at Houston on Sunday. Brees had a strong exhibition season and is expected to
be chosen the starter. Rivers missed 29 practices and two exhibition games during a holdout.
Among those released were wide receiver Kevin Dyson, a member of Super Bowl teams with the Titans and Panthers; safety Kwamie Lassiter, a nine-year
pro and a starter for the Chargers last year; and tackle Carlos Joseph, one of the team's three seventh-round draft picks.
The Chargers decided Dyson wasn't going to be among the top wide receivers, "then you start to look at who is going to help you the most in the
kicking game, and that's what we did," Schottenheimer said.
One player who did make the roster was Wes Welker, a 5-foot-9, 190-pound undrafted rookie from Texas Tech who will return kicks and punts.
The final roster spot opened when kick returner-running back Leon Johnson was placed on the physically unable to perform list with a foot injury.
He'll be out for at least six weeks.
The rest of those cut were offensive linemen Phil Bogle, Chad Ward and Reese Hicks; tight end Brock Edwards; cornerbacks Jonathan Cox and Jerrell
Pippens; linebackers Howard Hodges and Justin Riley; and defensive end Otis Leverette.