It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What news really is news worthy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It seems like every news program shows the same story. I know reporters compete to get the article out first about a certain story but what is the rush? The readers do not come up with the hot new news worthy story, the reporters do. So they could just as easily make a new story if they are not the first one to write an article for the hot story. All the news stations are fighting to be the most popular when they are the ones creating what is popular news and what is not.

I get tired of watching 2 weeks of michael jackson. News is news worthy one week and then is out the next week. Since reporters decide what is the "popular news" is it really news?

I may have said this in a confussing way but i couldnt really say it any other way. I hope some people understand what i am saying.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Well, we should count our blessings....no more O.J. Simpson trial to worry about.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 03:35 PM
link   
During the Martha Stewart inside tradeing scandal; i saw enough of her to last me two life times. I wouldnt mind having her as a wife though because she can do just about any thing around the house. I could be on ATS all day while she made millions and made the house look perfect.

Sorry i kind of got a little of the topic. lol

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Weapons of mass distraction.

Can't have the folks looking at the real issues now can we?

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza
It seems like every news program shows the same story. I know reporters compete to get the article out first about a certain story but what is the rush? The readers do not come up with the hot new news worthy story, the reporters do. So they could just as easily make a new story if they are not the first one to write an article for the hot story. All the news stations are fighting to be the most popular when they are the ones creating what is popular news and what is not.

I get tired of watching 2 weeks of michael jackson. News is news worthy one week and then is out the next week. Since reporters decide what is the "popular news" is it really news?

I may have said this in a confussing way but i couldnt really say it any other way. I hope some people understand what i am saying.

Most reporters cover local stories with a local angle. At most large newspapers the national desk is relatively small. News of a national or foreign nature are most usually covered by the AP or other wire sources. The vast majority of news papers pluck their stories straight from the wire and have nothing to do with covering them. It's a follow the leader mentality. Orders are given and followed from the top (government/NY Times/Wash. Post) to the bottom (the national editor of local/regional rags.) It's brainwashing, Hitler-style.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 06:28 PM
link   
The thing that most bothers me is what is NOT being covered on any given day. That's the key.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 06:36 PM
link   
News these days is crap, all it is is murder and crap, nothing important. The only important stuff they show is the war and even that they don't really give much REAL news. Oh well.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The news is whatever the white house says is news that day.

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 10:00 PM
link   
i hate television news with a passion.
and the fact that there are tv shows devoted to celebrity and entertainment news! who actually watched those?!

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Well living in Canada, I cant really complain about our news.
In fact I find it very rewarding to watch.
Deep

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 12:19 AM
link   
All news these days are POLITIC!

I hate news now!

CNN ABC NBC, ETC.!

ALL POLITIC!

Poeple need to start researching and not just listening to stupid news!

especally TV!

posted on Dec, 2 2003 @ 12:46 AM
link   
im sure the most interesting news never makes it to the general public. and the whole popular news is nothing more than censorship in that their basically telling you this is what you want to know about by talking in an exited voice briefing you on whats coming next right before a commercial just so you dont change the channel. but if you do it doesnt matter cause whats on fox is on cbs so what exactly are you gonna miss?
i guess thats why i started coming here again because here at least the topics change by the minute. and here you can tell the reporter exactly what you think of 'em. joking

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herder
Weapons of mass distraction.

Can't have the folks looking at the real issues now can we?

"Weapons of Mass distraction". I like that. That's
exactly what the news is, a distraction. No one cares
about celebrities and what weird ass sexual things they are in to. Last month it was Kobe Bryant raping people and now all i see is Michael Jackson screwing kids again. They should all be lined up and shot. I don't have time to # around, i want to hear real news about important subjects. But, the rest of this stupid # nation wants to know about what celebrities are getting married and other bull #. # America.

[Edited on 09/28/03 by jabb]

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 02:00 AM
link   
It's so true that what is truely newsworthy is not in the news anymore. Distraction-R-US-INC.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 07:42 AM
link   
This has been my No. 1 pet hate for the last 20 or so years.

The people who decide what makes the news base their decisions on what will sell more papers/ increase viewing figures. They are not and as far as i can tell never have been inbterested in educating the common person with what is really happening.

Look what happens to those who try to disseminate real news.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 09:00 AM
link   
What passes for news these days is shock and entertainment. And as many posters have mentioned, it is all about the bottom line - distracting the nation from larger, deeper issues.

It always cracks me up when Tom Brokaw says, "and now, for our in depth look at.." In depth, my ARSE!
If those folks actually think what they cover remotely resembles IN DEPTH, I'd hate to be stuck at dinner or a cocktail party with them. Their brains must be the size of a pea.

The internet is the most amazing creation of our lifetimes. There is so much alternative views, world news and opinion its never-ending. And it's at least 2 weeks ahead of the mainstream in every way, shape and form. Talk about makin' 'em look bad! I recently heard a columnist say, "the internet is the most valuable tool a writer could ever have." I hardily agree. I just wish everyone could get on line and do a little of their own research every day. America would be far better off. And the network news would go down in flames - where they belong.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I take it y'all don't listen to NPR (National Public Radio) much.

And, remember, guys, some days there really isn't much news. I do read Yahoo news and occasionally get the Dallas Morning News online (though most of the stories like the doings of local sports figures are not anything I'm interested in.)

But mostly I get my news from NPR and BBC -- good sources and not ones to get obsessive about silly celebreties.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I listen to BBC and NPR, but not limited to that. I read stuff across the spectrum from left to right. Never limit yourselves! The key to the mainstream media is that while they're bombarding us with bu#, other, much more important stories are usually going un-covered. Take for example, the current war between the rising Euro and falling dollar. That should be one of today's most important issues being discussed - and it's barely mentioned, other than in the international press. It's a fact.

[Edited on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
news stories should not be covered or written to further anyone's agenda. the only agenda should be the plan to get the truth out to the masses and tell it without bias. newsworthy news is news about someone being murdered but no dwelling on it forever. I'm sick of the national US media dwelling on these crime cases that seem to go forever. You have O.J. Simpson, Laci Peterson, the sexual assault from Kobe Bryant, and now the supposed sexual abuse of kids from MJ. I don't really give a flying f*ck about these people getting in trouble. I don't care if Martha Stewart gets in trouble for doing corporate crime. I'm just glad she's in for doing that kind of crap. It seems to me that the national media only cares about you if you're famous, in the military, or in politics. Otherwise they don't even publish the stories. The news should also publish secret info that not many know instead of covering up.

I heard from a message board from some people who knew about the 9/11 coverup that right on 9/11 that scene shown on the news was said to be Palestinians cheering for 9/11 happening but in fact it was a scene from 1991 either the palestinians cheering on the victory of gulf war for the US or some palestinian wedding. Certainly the US media doesn't expect us to believe that Palestinians as a whole love al qaeda, do they? I don't care if you're famous or not or well-known. If you do a crime then I don't wanna hear about it on the news unless it's someone I know or care about. otherwise, it's no use to me.

I also think that the media should stop scaring people to the point where they actually start putting that # on their windows post-9/11 with the 'threat' of biological warfare. That's nonsense. How the hell would chemicals go through the window anyway? atoms can't just break through a solid arrangement of atoms like a window that easily. I'm also tired of the media being the puppet for the gov't, always going behind what the president says and not following their heart. All of them are pro-war or conservative it seems to me. Fox News and MSNBC report with a conservative agenda and all their talk show hosts are conservatives or ultraconservative morons. the only okay ones I see are Bill O'Reilly and Chris Matthews and maybe Joe Scarborough sometimes. Michael savage was terrible. He claimed that all liberals are the reason that america sucks so much and why we're so messed up today. He thinks all feminists are "femi-nazis." I'm glad he's off the air.

We need to get some liberals hosting talk shows. I'm tired of hearing from a conservative view. I'm a liberal myself and I'd like to see people with a similar ideology as me be able to have a chance to talk about stuff. These talk shows on MSNBC and FOX NEWS are absurd anyway. what good do they do? talking about a bunch of stories and believing the gov't in their false 'terror alert' and propaganda of the war on terror. What 'freedom' is Bush trying to protect with the troops in Iraq? our freedom was never at jeopardy. It's all a lie. don't believe the gov't all the time. a "surprise" terror attack happens on 9/11 and i'm supposed to beleive that now there's a threat by al qaeda on our freedom? since when did al qaeda wanna take our freedom?

Al qaeda just wants to get us back for abandonin them in 1979 and all that other # we've done to the arab world. although I disagree with them attacking the US people if they actually ever did. But the gov't is so ignorant and everyone says "our freedom is at risk." how? why isn't al qaeda for democracy? maybe they want an independent democratic state that's arab. think of that, BUSH? stupid morons waving flags and being pro-war since the beginning can't see through the lies and deceptions. sorry about ranting. I'm sick of bush and the media.

posted on Jan, 4 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I thought maybe I would share this article I found a time or so back and wondered at possible comments or thoughts.....:

"Media / Political Bias"
Link:
rhetorica.net...

Small excerpt: (the article is well worth the read thought)

"There is no such thing as an objective point of view.

No matter how much we may try to ignore it, human communication always takes place in a context, through a medium, and among individuals and groups who are situated historically, politically, economically, and socially. This state of affairs is neither bad nor good. It simply is. Bias is a small word that identifies the collective influences of the entire context of a message."

regards
seekerof

top topics

join