what a bunch of whining by rickie williams, complaining that he was over worked by the dolphins...
Ricky on the line: He's still out of service
By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer
August 26, 2004
DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- Ricky Williams phoned the Miami Dolphins this week, but said his next destination will be India, not a return to the NFL.
The retired running back contacted coach Dave Wannstedt several days ago, sources close to the coach said Thursday. But Williams told The Miami Herald
he has no plans to come back anytime soon.
His conversation with Wannstedt was their first since Williams called the week before training camp with the stunning news he was retiring.
Prompting the latest call was a letter the Dolphins sent Williams last week seeking to recoup $8.6 million in bonuses paid to him.
``I didn't call them to see if I could come back. I was just causing a conversation to happen,'' Williams told the Herald from Australia. ``They sent
me the letter and (my agent) told me it's in my best interests to call them.''
Even if the 27-year-old Williams wanted to return, he faces a suspension for the entire 2004 season for violating the NFL drug policy. He has
acknowledged testing positive for marijuana three times.
Williams may have been seeking a way to avoid repaying any money, but an NFL source insisting on anonymity said the Dolphins are taking a hard line
with Williams. Players and team officials gave no indication they're eager for the 2002 NFL rushing champion to return, even though Miami totaled five
first downs and no points in its most recent exhibition game.
His latest reasons for retiring, including a workload he considered excessive, annoyed ex-teammates.
``He's acting like a bitter girlfriend,'' defensive tackle Larry Chester said. ``He's just lashing out. I don't think anyone should pay attention to
``He owes a lot of people an apology -- not just the fans, but the players in this locker room. A lot of guys were with him all offseason. We figured
he was going to war for us. To back out without any explanation is messed up.''
Williams said he plans to travel to India soon for a ``couple of months.''
``It's not in my best interests to play football right now,'' he said.
Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, didn't return calls seeking comment. Wannstedt and Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman declined to discuss the
latest development in the Williams saga.
``I'm only going to comment on guys who are here practicing,'' Wannstedt said.
Williams admitted he was unhappy with his contract and new offensive coordinator Chris Foerster. And he said the Dolphins relied on him too heavily
the past two seasons, when he carried 775 times.
``I don't really know what to think about that,'' offensive lineman Seth McKinney said. ``Speaking as offensive linemen, we go out there and block. If
we run the ball 100 times, we're out there blocking 100 times. Maybe we're overused. That's the way it goes. That's the game of football. I don't know
what he's talking about, really.''
McKinney and other players said they still expect to be without Williams this season, despite his phone call to Wannstedt.
``I don't think many people are paying attention to it,'' fullback Rob Konrad said. ``I think it's more of a positioning thing by him. He's in --
where is it, Australia or Austria? I would doubt he's going to be back here anytime soon.''
[Edited on 8/26/2004 by toejam]