It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Bills Losman to miss 2-3 months

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Buffalo Bills rookie quarterback J.P. Losman will have surgery Thursday to repair the left leg he broke in practice Tuesday.

Coach Mike Mularkey said Wednesday that he anticipates Losman will be back at some point this season but that they won't know when until after the operation.

Losman, the second of Buffalo's two first-round picks, broke his fibula two hours into practice when he fell awkwardly at the end of a run after being hit by cornerback Troy Vincent.

The initial prognosis is Losman will miss between two and three months. The injury is being described as similar to one sustained by Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick last preseason. Vick required 3½ months of recovery before he returned.

Bills president Tom Donahoe said it's premature to discuss whether the team will bring in an additional quarterback or determine whether to end Losman's season by placing him on the injured reserve list.

The Bills currently have three quarterbacks on their roster, headed by starter Drew Bledsoe. Former third-stringer Travis Brown is expected to serve as Bledsoe's backup to start this season. The third is undrafted free agent Greg Zolman, who competed in NFL Europe, playing last season with Rhein, where he backed up former Dallas quarterback Chad Hutchinson.

The Bills carried two quarterbacks -- Bledsoe and Alex Van Pelt -- for most of last season after Brown was hurt during a preseason game.

"It's disappointing, but injuries are part of football," Donahoe said. "He's disappointed like everybody is, but it's part of the game and he'll bounce back."

Selected 22nd overall, Losman was being groomed as Bledsoe's eventual successor. The Bills thought highly enough of him that they traded three draft picks -- including a first-rounder next season -- in a deal with Dallas to get back into the first round.

In Buffalo's two preseason games, Losman went a combined 9-of-11 for 78 yards passing, and is second on the team in rushing with 80 yards on seven carries. Losman also has engineered three scoring drives -- all ending in field goals -- in the five series he has played.

The play in which Losman was hurt is being described as an accident in which the two players collided when Losman attempted to cut back into the middle.

"I was sorry that I was part of the incident," Vincent said. "All night I tossed and turned. I look at a young man and his future. We hope that he'll respond and he'll get back and be the quarterback that we all want him to be. ... He's a fiery young guy. The sky's the limit for him. No one wants to be in a cast at this point in time in his career."
Bills quarterback coach Sam Wyche worried how the injury will affect Losman's development.

"You lose the experience and things happening at game speed," Wyche said. "But he has kept up, he will keep up. I'll be on him hard to make sure he doesn't get behind mentally."

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I wondred where the heck Sam Wyche was these days.

new topics

join