It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Gallery sits, status uncertain vs Dallas

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Left tackle Robert Gallery, the second player taken in the NFL draft, didn't practice Tuesday morning with the Oakland Raiders because of an elbow injury, leaving his status uncertain for Saturday's preseason game against Dallas.

Robert Gallery isn't sure when he'll return, but said his injury isn't "a big deal."

Gallery left practice early Monday with what the team described as a hyperextended right elbow sustained in a blocking drill. He later characterized the injury as a sprain after going to a hospital for X-rays.

"It's about the same as Monday," Gallery said after the Raiders went through a morning walkthrough. "Whether I play in the game isn't up to me. I'm still trying to get a spot on this team, but there are a lot of games to be played yet, so I don't want to be stupid about it, either. I can move the arm. There's a range of movement in it."

Gallery has been working out with the second team behind six-year veteran Barry Sims. But the rookie played nearly the entire first half and the first series of the second half last Saturday in a 33-30 exhibition victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

"It's very important to play these games at this level," Gallery said. "That's how you get better, practice and play the games. You can learn a lot by watching, but it's not as good as being out there."

The 6-foot-7, 325-pound Gallery was an All-American at Iowa and won the 2003 Outland Trophy awarded to the best interior lineman in college.

Gallery rode an exercise bike while his teammates worked out on a hot afternoon.

"He wants to play in the game," coach Norv Turner said. "We're certainly going to be smart with his situation. We're going to go another day off. If he feels better and the doctors and trainers think he's all right, he'll go. If not, he'll get started when he can."

Also Tuesday, tight end Teyo Johnson was thrown out of practice for fighting with linebacker Akbar Gbaja-Biamila. Johnson blamed the fight on his frustration over being dropped to fourth-string on the depth chart.

new topics

join