It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: Dallas Cowboys

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to the NFL season, I think Parcells will get the Cowboys back to the playoffs and should have a good season.

Cowboys Training Camp Report

Preseason schedule:
Aug. 14: Houston
Aug. 21: at Oakland
Aug. 30: Tennessee
Sep. 2: Kansas City

Most significant change: The addition of wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson reunites the player with former coach Bill Parcells, under whom Johnson had his best seasons in New York, and gives the offense a dependable blocker and third-down target. Yet the drafting of running back Julius Jones and late signing of Eddie George are the biggest impact moves on an offense that averaged 18 points per game.

Reason for optimism: It's the second season under Parcells, and the coach has never failed to improve by at least three wins in his second year with three other teams. That might be unrealistic, but the team has addressed problem areas at quarterback, running back, offensive line and defensive end.

Cause for concern: Cornerback Pete Hunter, who struggled at times last year, is the leading candidate to start opposite Terence Newman without much experience in reserve. The offensive line, a trouble spot down the stretch, also could be breaking in as many as three new starters, including potentially two (center Al Johnson and right tackle Jacob Rogers) who have never taken an NFL snap.

Training-camp battle to watch: The Quincy Carter-Vinny Testaverde battle might get more press, but there are more true battles elsewhere. The right corner competition among Hunter, Donald Mitchell (the favorite for the nickel back spot) and a cast of unknowns could be telling. The right tackle job is up in the air, and a punter must be found, too.

Don't be surprised if ... Tight end Jason Witten emerges as a primary target. Witten caught Parcells' eye down the stretch in 2003, and the coach will lighten Witten's blocking load with Dan Campbell and rookie Sean Ryan handling most of the grunt work. The team is encouraged by Witten's extra work this offseason and has high hopes for his progress.

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Players signed

DE Marcellus Wiley (Chargers)
TE James Whalen (re-signed)
QB Vinny Testaverde (Jets)
WR Dedric Ward (Patriots)
RB Eddie George (Titans)

Players lost

OL Ryan Young (released)
P Toby Gowin (Jets)
DE Ebenezer Ekuban (Browns)
CB Mario Edwards (Bucs)

Acquired via trade

QB Drew Henson (Texans)
WR Keyshawn Johnson (Bucs)

Players traded
2005 3rd round draft pick
WR Joey Galloway

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
1 at Minnesota
2 Cleveland
3 at Washington
4 BYE WEEK
5 NY Giants
6 Pittsburgh
7 at Green Bay
8 Detroit
9 at Cincinnati
10 Philadelphia
11 at Baltimore
12 Chicago
13 at Seattle
14 New Orleans
15 at Philadelphia
16 Washington
17 at NY Giants

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The Cowboys are holding summer training camp in what may be the only city in the nation where wearing the team's logo could draw a $1,000 fine or six months in jail. The team begins training July 31 in Oxnard, where its trademark blue star was adopted two decades ago by a local street gang. Authorities obtained an injunction last month preventing the city's largest and most violent street gang, the Colonia Chiques, from wearing the team's clothing within a 6.6-square-mile "safety zone" in the heart of Ventura County's largest city. The dozen gang members who have been served with the court order also are barred from congregating in public and flashing gang signs. Violators can be arrested or face misdemeanor charges.

sports.espn.go.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 05:59 PM
link   
One thing is certain with Antonio Bryant being in the Dallas Cowboys training camp: Bill Parcells likes the young receiver who threw a sweaty jersey in his face.

If not, Bryant probably wouldn't be with the Cowboys after the heated exchange during a summer workout.

"This isn't my first bout with a player, Parcells said Friday. "All of the other guys that I've had a fight with called me, and one of the guys said to me you must really like (him) if you're wasting your time fighting with him. That is about the best way I could put it."

Parcells said Bryant, the third receiver behind Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn, has a clean slate going into the start of the coach's second training camp with the Cowboys. So does everybody else.

sports.espn.go.com...

This kid's lucky, when I heard that he threw his sweaty jersey in Parcells face I though for sure he was on his way out. I'm glad they patched things up, he has alot of potential.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The Dallas Cowboys agreed to a six-year deal Thursday with running back Julius Jones.

The former Notre Dame star, the Cowboys' first pick, got a $1.8 million signing bonus, and the last two years of his deal are voidable. He was chosen in the second round with the 43rd overall pick.

"I'm just happy we got it done in time," Jones said. "I'm glad to be here and now I'm ready to go."

Dallas also signed cornerback Bruce Thornton, a fourth-round pick. The only remaining unsigned draft choice is offensive lineman Jacob Rogers, another second-rounder.

Rogers is from Oxnard and is expected to be signed in time for the first practice Saturday morning. Once he joins the team, the Cowboys will have to cut someone to maintain an 85-player roster.

Jones was the fourth running back drafted. He was expected to be the starter until Eddie George was signed last week. They will compete for the job in training camp.

"I've always had to compete for everything," Jones said. "Nothing is ever handed to you, especially in the NFL."

sports.espn.go.com...

[Edited on 8-1-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It wont officially be classified as a training-camp battle, but dont be surprised if second-year LB Bradie James starts cutting into WLB Dexter Coakley's reps in training camp. It started in the team's three minicamps this offseason, when James and Coakley took turns working with the first-team defense. Head coach Bill Parcells, who always has favored bigger, more physical linebackers, has an unofficial mantra: No one's job is safe. And that goes for Coakley, who went to his third Pro Bowl last February but carries only 236 pounds on his 5-10 frame. The coaching staff has been impressed with the offseason work of the 6-2, 248-pound James, who has added bulk to his frame.

www.profootballweekly.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
PA, any chance that you got to see the preseason Cowboys-Raiders' game yesterday?

I got a chance to see some of it.

Drew Henson played a lot of the 2nd half and you know what he didn't look that bad. He ended up 7 of 9 for 53 yards. Not great, but not bad.

Most of his completions were little short curl routes. The one time the Raiders blitzed him it was incomplete but that was due to more of the fact that Dallas didn't pick up the blitz well. And I believe he had one nice medium throw to get the 1st down on a 3rd down situation. A little out on the sidelines. Right on the money. He had one long throw down the right sidelines but the Raiders' DB made a great play and deflected it away.

And Eddie George had one nice run yesterday.

Like a 20-yard gainer up the middle in the 1st half. That was encouraging. I believe it was still against the Raiders' first string defense too because it was in the 2nd Quarter.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
No they didn't show it here Fox, I didn't even see any highlights on SportsCenter. Glad to hear they looked good though, I hope they start the season strong. I think Eddie still has plenty left in the tank especially with Julius sharing the carries.

Ben

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I like the cowboys geting further in the playoffs with the additions of Eddie and Vinny, they have a good QB ( his age is in question) and a solid RB something that they needed. And with Johnson they now have a solid WR.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Oh I forgot to say in my above post about Henson that my comments should be tempered a bit since that was in the 2nd half and probably against the Raiders' 2nd string defense.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
I like the cowboys geting further in the playoffs with the additions of Eddie and Vinny, they have a good QB ( his age is in question) and a solid RB something that they needed. And with Johnson they now have a solid WR.

I don't know about that. they are depending on an aging QB who was cropped from the starting position at another over the last few years, and Eddie. I love Eddie George, always wanted to have him on my fantasy teams, because he was solid. But the full-contact style of running is taking it's toll on him.

The upside for the team (as much as I don't want them to have an upside
) is the rook, some say the best RB from the draft.

But the palyoffs may be a stretch in this division, it's gonna be a tough one this year.

But then again, I look through the world with maroon and gold colored glasses...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Oh man! Roy Williams just got punked on that touchdown run.

Shoved down the ground by the Titan runner. Oh well thanks goodness, it's only presason.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I saw that, he got an old-fashioned stiff arm.

The offense has been inconsistent, but they're putting a nice drive together now.

Get 'em ready Bill! :loudhorn:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Back-to-back beautiful passes by Vinny to Terry Glenn and then Dan Campbell for the.....

TOUCHDOWN !!!!!! :party-smiley-018:

The defense woke up and the offense has started to click. :approve:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Ah, preseason, my friend...

(That means it doesn't count)

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Cowboys 19, Browns 12.

Raiders' blackout locally got this game put on the air for me.

Vinny did his best to lose this game for us. I was loving him for like the first 2 3/4 Quarters. Then I cringed everytime he threw the ball.

Anyways, Cowboys win! Niners lose! Redskins lose! Now that's what I call a great day of football for me. :party-smiley-018:

It would be a perfect weekend if somehow Philly can lose to Minnesota coming up here.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Probably only 10 people in the country watched the Bears-Cowboys' game. I watched all of it though.
And as expected, ugly win with a capital "U". And we win! 21 to 7. Woohoo! I rarely get to say that these days.

I can understand why a lot of people want to criticize Parcells for pulling Henson at the half. But I can see the other side of it too. Because Henson didn't show me much. Looked right at RW McQuarters. Had a chance to throw it away. He knows the Bears are having trouble on offense (or he should anyways). And just still after all that he still throws it to RW. *doh* Plus Henson still can't read blitzes. Add that having a rookie running back, Julius Jones pick up blitzes and failing to do it a lot makes it on the whole, a bad situation.

On the bright side, speaking of Jones. At least maybe we got our Running Back of the future if not the Quarterback. 150 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns. Although I do admit, I could have driven a mack truck through that hole that Jones ran through for his first score.

For the Bears, RW McQuarters was the scariest guy on the field for me. With his returns and his defense. 2 picks and the Bears' only points. Also Quinn showed why he's the 3rd stringer. That last Bears' possession before the half was the ugliest thing I've seen since Roseanne Barr grabbed her crotch singing the national anthem that one time.

posted on Nov, 26 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Mulder

On the bright side, speaking of Jones. At least maybe we got our Running Back of the future if not the Quarterback. 150 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns.

Julius looked very impressive in his Turkey Day debut, I just hope it's a sign of things to come. I'll be the first to admit I was very disappointed when the Boys passed on Steven Jackson in last year's draft for Jones but I sure hope they knew what they were doing. That move looked good yesterday although I'm sure Jackson will have plenty of success in the NFL.

[Edited on 11-26-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Woohoo! 34 to 31, we beat our long time archrival, the Niners today.

I was so nervous watching the game. The way the game started, after Tony Parrish picked off Bledsoe and ran it in for a touchdown, I thought we might get blown out.

As it is we were down 31 to 19, trailed the whole game actually till the final minute at San Francisco.

Then Keyshawn with the game-winning touchdown and the 2-pt. conversion, both on corner routes with Ahmad Plummer on him. That was clutch considering Keyshawn didn't do much last week.

Terry Glenn with the huge long reception to set up the game-winner. He's been solid for us the whole year actually.

We still need to shore up our defense though. Our defensive line did nothing till like 9 minutes left in the 4th Quarter when Greg Ellis got to Tim Rattay twice. The first time forcing an incomplete and the 2nd time getting a sack.

And we still can't defend the deep ball. Brandon Lloyd schooled Anthony Henry all day. Henry got saved the goat horns in the game today with the win.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join